The Elder Scrolls Online

Watch
Smaugs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Despite what many are thinking is a very anticipated game, there doesn't seem to be a hub where people are talking about it on here, so i thought i'd make one!

The Elder Scrolls Online

Main Website

Pre-order link

Elder Scrolls Wiki

The Elder Scrolls Online is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) that was announced in May 2012 and is set to be released April 14th 2014.The game will be non-linear, a mixture of quests, random events and exploration is encouraged. Looking for a summary? this Overview of Elder Scrolls Online video provides a "general overview of the gameplay, mechanics, and philosophies behind development of The Elder Scrolls Online. This video features gameplay and environments from ESO in full high-definition, while introducing the game to new fans."

Information about the game:

Spoiler:
Show

Three Major Playable Factions:

• Aldmeri Dominion,composed of the three races of southern Tamriel: The high Elves, The wood elvers and the Khajit.
  • Ebonheart Pact, composed of the Nord race, the Dark Elf race and the Argonian race.
  • Daggerfall Covenant, composed of the Breton, Redguard and Orc races.

Four Classes:
Dragonknight, Templar, Sorcerer and Nightblade.
It does not matter what class you pick, you can use all weapon and armour types. It is your choice what type of armour to use: heavy, light or medium leather. The same applies to weapons, you can wield any weapon and fight as you wish. So classes in ESO do not restrict you to only using a limited set of gear.Unlike other MMOs, ESO's classes have very differing skill trees, meaning that a tank class could also spec to be a healer or DPS.

Map of Playable Areas
Spoiler:
Show

Voices:
A renowned group of actors will be lending their voices to The Elder Scrolls Online. John Cleese, Michael Gambon, Kate Beckinsale, Malcolm McDowell, Lynda Carter, Bill Nighy, and Alfred Molina -- and many more -- take on the roles of just some of the interesting characters you'll meet while exploring Tamriel.

Video!

Player vs. Envrionment:
Group Content: The Elder Scrolls Online offers players the opportunity to explore Tamriel together for the first time. In this video, our developers take on some of the challenges designed for groups of allies in the gameVideo!Dungeons: The following is a detailed breakdown of the types of encounters that groups can expect from the dungeon experience in ESO, with detailed commentary explaining the mechanics, abilities, and context. With footage of one of the first few dungeons: Spindleclutch - Glenumbra (Daggerfall Covenant), Banished Cells - Auridon (Aldmeri Dominion), Fungal Grotto - Stonefalls (Ebonheart Pact)

Video!

Player vs. Player.
Featuring three-sided Player vs. Player (PvP) gameplay, The Elder Scrolls Online supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Seize, hold, and control the resources of massive strongholds. Utilize massive siege weapons to crumble fortress walls and smash through fortified gates. Conquer the Imperial City, and your alliance’s top player could even be crowned Emperor!

In our latest trailer for The Elder Scrolls Online, witness the Alliance War in action as Tamriel's three alliances rally their forces in the heart of Cyrodiil. Are you prepared to face your enemies, conquer their fortifications, and claim the Ruby Throne?

Video!

Other Videos!

Other Media:

The Arrival Cinematic Trailer

E3 Gameplay Trailer

Character Creation

Character Progression
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyone who's played the beta that I've heard have said that it isn't very good. Add that to the crazy price WITH subscription AND THEN the pre-order bonuses AND microtransactions... no thanks
Smaugs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
Everyone who's played the beta that I've heard have said that it isn't very good.
Funny i've had the exact opposite, especially those who got their hands on PvP and such!
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mehhhh I played the beta and found it boring. I know some people who liked it, but for me personally the combat was a big let down. Won't be buying the actual game It's a shame because I was really excited for it when it was first announced. Ah well More games to play
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
Everyone who's played the beta that I've heard have said that it isn't very good. Add that to the crazy price WITH subscription AND THEN the pre-order bonuses AND microtransactions... no thanks
Not entirely the case, the response to the beta has been more mixed from what I've seen of reviews and fans' reviews, but I haven't seen anything that makes me want to fork out nearly a tenner a month for it on top of the £40/45 initial price and even the possibility that you'll have to pay even more if you want to use any of the other regions when they come out. The idea of exploring the entirety of Tamriel is amazing, but at the same time I can't say I'm too interested in playing an MMO, even if it is ES. Just hope ESO doesn't mean it'll be ages til we see the next SP ES game, though I suspect it may do
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Olie)
Not entirely the case, the response to the beta has been more mixed from what I've seen of reviews and fans' reviews,
Yeah I guess it is mixed, but for me mixed=bad :P
The idea of exploring the entirety of Tamriel is amazing, but at the same time I can't say I'm too interested in playing an MMO, even if it is ES.
I think it would be but firstly this ain't Bethesda and secondly, due to technical limitations of the consoles, they've had to make the world much smaller to fit it all in. Also it's in an MMO-style progression so I don't think it will live up to the potential, it would be better if they did it No Man Sky style and made it an MMO based on exploration in stead of combat
Just hope ESO doesn't mean it'll be ages til we see the next SP ES game, though I suspect it may do
I think it'll probably be Fallout 4 that does that :P Hopefully at least!
elfess
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
VERY EXCITED. PvP looks awesome from what I've seen online! I really hope that there is another self contained (sorry can't think of the word) Elder Scrolls game soon though.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I haven't played in the last 2 Betas because the 2 before put me off too much. IMO it's not worth the money, it should either be the £40 for the game, or a smaller subscription than what it is.
It felt way too slow starting and felt, as far as I got, like a single player game with no need for interaction between players.
While people will argue that graphics don't matter, and it's only a MMO I take the attitude that if better graphics are possible better graphics should be used; I don't really want to be playing in a 8 bit world when I could be playing in a photorealistic world (taking it to the extreme slightly to demonstrate the point), While the graphics weren't bad they weren't amazing either, neither my GPU not CPU had to break a sweat playing the game, even maxed out, with utilisation in single figures.
For the most part, early in the game the quests seemed to be far too easy for the recommended level, allowing me to rush through much of the early part of the game with ease, the problem then came that I reached a point where the level recommendation shot up well above my level, it then was near impossible, but there was no fun way to gain the levels to make it realistically possible.
The side quests I found to be boring and repetitive, all taking a similar form of running back and forth, or going and talking to a load of people and returning to the quest giver, where I had the feeling that if I did a few side quests in the first area or two I had done all the side quests in the game.

As for the imperial edition, the digital version is a con, an extra£20 for a playable race and a horse early in the game and a pet. The physical copy is a whole different matter, I would almost consider buying it just for the extra content and ignore tha game.
elfess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would agree from what I've seen the quests do look rather repetitive, but I was hoping they would get better the further you go. Unfortunately Skryim also had a lot of repetitive quests and I hope that this trend doesn't continue if they make any more games in TES Series. Hopefully the graphics will be more up to scratch by the time the game is released.

What's the normal fee for a monthly subscription with other MMORPGs?
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
These day's it's generally free unless well established, Wow and Eve I believe are around about £10 and Runescape being £5, but now most are free.

I doubt the graphics will be much better, if at all, in the final game vs the betas though, and while Skyrim ones were rather similar they didn't feel like they were the same in the same way.
elfess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's a shame, that the graphics may not improve. I really had a lot of high hopes for this game considering it's under the Elder Scrolls franchise, and I'm not really that interested in MMOs usually. Looking at the price of the other games I can see why people are complaining it's too expensive, I think a few of the reviews I saw were expecting it to go free to play. It's kind of sad really. Again, just really hoping that Bethesda can redeem themselves by making another single player TES game in the future.

That looks unlikley though since Skyrim was supposed to be the last one, wasn't it?
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I severely doubt Skyrim will be the last, after all, very few developers/publishers will stop making games before the drive them into the ground, and looking at some franchises even then they don't stop. They have a huge continent and a huge amount of lore, barely any of which has been touched on, there is no reason why they won't make another, you just have to consider that there tends to be 4+ years between bethesda games (within one franchise) so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

And much of the expectation of going f2p is that a lot of games recently have, SW:KOTR did in less than a year, Rift did, the community now is too used to freemium gaming to want to pay subscriptions, and part of the argument comes from "If Star Wars with its massive following can't survive then how can TES with its relatively small following"

Obviously opinions are very mixed, but it seems that with ESO the most vocal part of the community is the part that doesn't like it as it is rather than those that do, whether it's down to them being the larger faction or just them being more vocal about their opinions is unclear, but the general consensus among the "haters" is "not like this" in that they want lower subscriptions and/or no unit cost.
Daniel9510
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
£50 and then a monthly fee... Erm no, sit down ESO you aren't WoW. Going to be one of the worst video game fails in a while. Six months time it'll be £50 to play but no sub fees, relying on micro transactions., 1 year, f2p + micro transactions. 3 years, servers shut down.
elfess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With such a high asking price initially and then the subscription on top I don't feel like a lot of people will be buying it when it comes out. Again that might be also because there is so much negativity surrounding it and it's not clear if that's the majority or not.

...At the moment the whole thing isn't looking very optimistic, but I still want to belive!

With what you said about the lore and the huge range of options that they have with making more games, plus the way gaming companies go with franchises, maybe there is hope yet. I feel like it might depend on how well the MMO does though. I just really hope that the quality won't drop, it would be such a shame to waste so much potential and ruin what is already a great franchise.

For example, I personally loved Skyrim but a lot of the quests just didn't really do it for me. I felt a lot of them were repetitive, especially the mages guild questline. You worked so hard carrying books around and doing errands, and then when you finally become arch mage it doesn't seem like the benefits are really worth all that play time (and the boredom) - Yes it gets you exp, but I really thought that it should be a little more in depth? Not sure how, maybe you could make new spells or try and have more control over the guild's actions? Perhaps another game could really look into it & develop that more. Plus I would love to see more races and lore that we haven't really seen yet. I love the idea of exploring the whole of Tamriel, too. Maybe they could continue that idea onto another game.

I'm getting kind of off topic here, sorry.

I can see what you're saying about the chances of it going free to play. It would be most disappointing I think if it did go f2p, and then they did the thing where you have to pay to get certain aspects of the game? Like mounts and armor, even quests and areas? It just kind of ruins it.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The negativity surrounding the game is, to my knowledge, not because it's a bad game, it's quite a good game, far from the best but still pretty good, if a few things were touched up, instead I think most of it is the money grabbing attitude, their justification for the price is poor at best. People aren't not wanting to buy it because it's a bad game or they can't afford it, it's because they feel it's not worth how much they are asking for it.
Their main justification is that they need the sub revenues, not to line their pockets, but to be able to make more DLC (and not have to charge the consumer for it), ultimately the games sales should be able to cover the expense of making the game, making expansions and running the "megaservers" (which if the stress tests I was in are anything to go by really aren't that mega), if it really isn't enough then there are better ways of getting our money to cover the extra expense.
elfess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh I see.

I have heard a lot of people saying things like 'it's not as good as...' so I suppose you're right. I think the majority of reviews I've seen have been rather negative, that's probably why I thought that it would be because of a bad game.

That is a poor justification for the higher cost, though. I would have just thought it was an abnormally expensive game to make if I hadn't heard that.

...What other ways could they get money out of us though if not from sales of the game itself, the subscriptions, or extra pay for play content? Merch?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been burnt in the past by rushing out to buy new, highly publicised MMOs only to find out the are turds. Warhammer Online and The Old Republic to give a couple of examples. They try to emulate WOW because the publishers see money, but fall short. From what I've seen/read of Elder Scrolls Online, it is going to be another one of those games. I may buy it, but certainly not at release.
elfess
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I might give it a wait too. See what the reviews are like, I don't really have the money anyway :rolleyes:
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not denying the "it's not as good..." part, because it isn't, but for me and I should think a lot of others it's the amount you're paying for what you get that's the thing stopping me from getting it in a fortnight.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My view on the ESO after beta testing it for a while.

1. Too expensive;
2. Just another MMO - nothing special
3. If you enjoy Elder Scrolls, don't play this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (337)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (267)
44.21%

Watched Threads