sanjk500
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey I have an offer for economics from lse and ucl but not sure which one to go to? really intimidated by lse didnt think I'd get in and it seems ridiculously difficult! UCL seems slightly easier and social life is meant to be better there. It's hard to turn down lse but I don't want to go there and be embarrassed by geniuses and not get a good degree. What should I do? :/
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sanjk500)
Hey I have an offer for economics from lse and ucl but not sure which one to go to? really intimidated by lse didnt think I'd get in and it seems ridiculously difficult! UCL seems slightly easier and social life is meant to be better there. It's hard to turn down lse but I don't want to go there and be embarrassed by geniuses and not get a good degree. What should I do? :/
Visit both, find out what financial support you'd get from each and the social scene. Also, explore which aspects of the course you'd like to study, and go from there. To weigh in, I know LSE is one of the most expensive places to study in London, and they have an enormous amount of international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sanjk500
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoshBedford)
Visit both, find out what financial support you'd get from each and the social scene. Also, explore which aspects of the course you'd like to study, and go from there. To weigh in, I know LSE is one of the most expensive places to study in London, and they have an enormous amount of international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi it's not really the finance or international students I'm worried about. It's more how difficult lse will be Im clever but I'm not sure if I'm clever enough for lse. It seems like it will be very challenging :/
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi it's not really the finance or international students I'm worried about. It's more how difficult lse will be Im clever but I'm not sure if I'm clever enough for lse. It seems like it will be very challenging :/
All university courses will be challenging. If you are not mentally up to the course, they wouldn't have given you an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LSE is without a doubt is the better offer. Think of it this way, LSE is one of the best Universities in the world and the fact they gave you an offer shows they think you can cope with the course. Getting an offer from LSE for Economics is a achievement in itself.

I personally would go for LSE because of the prestige. Plus UCL isn't some crap University, it is also one of the best and the UCL course is unlikely to be easy. It's most likely going to be just as difficult.
sanjk500
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamsmithqm)
LSE is without a doubt is the better offer. Think of it this way, LSE is one of the best Universities in the world and the fact they gave you an offer shows they think you can cope with the course. Getting an offer from LSE for Economics is a achievement in itself.

I personally would go for LSE because of the prestige. Plus UCL isn't some crap University, it is also one of the best and the UCL course is unlikely to be easy. It's most likely going to be just as difficult.
Ok but say if I go lse and really hate it, struggle academically, even fail the first year what do I do then!
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok but say if I go lse and really hate it, struggle academically, even fail the first year what do I do then!

I really don't know. What I do know is that UCL is unlikely to be an easy option. UCL one of the top Universities and the course will be demanding.

Maybe talk to someone about it who has been to either of the Universities?

Good Luck with whatever you go with though. UCL and LSE are both really good so either one is a good choice.
sanjk500
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamsmithqm)
I really don't know. What I do know is that UCL is unlikely to be an easy option. UCL one of the top Universities and the course will be demanding.

Maybe talk to someone about it who has been to either of the Universities?

Good Luck with whatever you go with though. UCL and LSE are both really good so either one is a good choice.
ok thanks a lot!
sanjk500
Rep:
?
appreciate the words of kindness but from other threads I've read lse seems so dead socially.People lock themselves away and don't integrate with others- I dont want that experience but going to lse and making it out should help me get a great job. Still so undecided advice from people who went/ is going to either uni please
Libertine96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally firming UCL, didnt apply for LSE because I knew I probably wouldn't receive an offer and I knew I didnt really want to go. Both are obviously great institutes and there's not a great deal between them although LSE edges it. The courses are pretty similar so don't expect UCL to be the easier option but you're clearly capable or you wouldn't get the offers.

The difference is that UCL is a multi faculty uni whereas LSE is social science only. As such, do you want the more complete uni life with a range of people or do you want to be surrounded by everyone doing a similar thing. UCL will give you a better balance for social life and everything else but LSE gives you something slightly better academically. As has been noted, LSE has a high amount of international students and is more expensive halls wise
sanjk500
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParetoOptimum)
I'm majoring in economics (not straight economics), and had offers from both LSE and UCL. I chose UCL.

I cannot comment with much authority on LSE obviously, but wrt the economics course at UCL I can assure you that the degree is as difficult, if not more difficult than LSE's course. To make it worse the UCL department scales marks relatively harshly compared to LSE and the other top departments, resulting in a lower proportion of firsts than LSE.

It is very quantitatively focused - you could actually get through all three years without writing a single essay if you wanted to. So if your strength is in maths then I would recommend UCL (and for your electives you can take statistics and maths modules from the stats and maths departments which are not scaled - it's possible to score extremely high marks)

With regards to the people at UCL doing econ - they're essentially the same as those at LSE. Asian dominated, investment banking dominated, a lot of exceptionally bright students (some have published in academic journals) etc

Of course this is a generalised view but I'm giving a generalised answer to your generalised question - if you have any specific questions then fire away.

(And social life is entirely dependent on the individual. Don't decline LSE because people say the social life is poor - your social life's quality is mostly determined by yourself tbh, in an environment as expansive and rich as university)
If they're both equally as difficult should I base it on where I have a better time or what gives me better job prospects? which one would you choose
RichardTheProf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If they're both equally as difficult should I base it on where I have a better time or what gives me better job prospects? which one would you choose
I think that LSE has more difficult economics course in terms of topics BUT UCL courses are more confused (many are taken from 3-5 textbooks with little coherency).

I also completely agree with the above: the stereotype is that UCL has a better social life and LSE has better prospects, but both are great universities, and it comes down more to how you act at the universities: if you don't make an effort to have fun, you won't enjoy either. If you don't work on your CV, it'll be a lot harder to get a job! People get too bogged down with LSE vs UCl and not enough on what they are going to do once they get into either! University is what you make of it really.
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RichardTheProf)
I think that LSE has more difficult economics course in terms of topics BUT UCL courses are more confused (many are taken from 3-5 textbooks with little coherency).
Which modules are you talking about? All the core modules follow one textbook, or are based on course-specific notes, and are 'coherent'. The optional modules are a mixed bag, but a lot of that comes down to the student's opinion, and it's going to be the same situation everywhere given the nuances of each specific optional course.

I'd also be interested to see your views about why the LSE course in more difficult (ss far as I've seen, they're extremely similar)
A193
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im in the same position as you.

Got an offer from lse for economics on friday...

I want to firm LSE because it is award enouh to get just an offer from LSE, but UCL is think suits me better since the LSE100 programme has put me off a bit.

LSE:
- better prestige
- London School of Economics

UCL:
- more social people
- optional courses, like Languages

I want to go for the one that has less to study (in comparison to one anohter) and the one that has less examintations, plus easier content to revise. I understand what you mean, I know I am capable of being an LSE undergrad but will the extremely inteeligent int'l students prevent me from doing as good?

Visited UCL twice, and I've been invited to LSE on the 9th April - going to check it out, and then make my firm and insurance
sanjk500
Rep:
?
mate I'm planning to do the exact same thing whats your name if i see you on april 9th we'll decide together haha
RichardTheProf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A193)

the LSE100 programme has put me off a bit.
This makes me laugh. I was there the year they first tested the LSE100 programme to make LSE "stand out more, and be more attractive." Looks like it's threatening to do exactly the opposite in your case.

I wouldn't let it influence your decision too much though - yes it does go down on your transcript, but it has absolutely no impact on your overall grade, and (perhaps too) many students do not bother turning up to most of the lectures for this reason. However, the lectures are meant to be very good if you are interested in the topics, and some of the speakers are very famous.

Also the LSE offers language courses too as outside options - apparently they are quite good (and many students use them as mark boosts)

It's not an easy choice and the best thing to do is certainly to visit both campuses and get a feel for them - it's hard to deny that UCL screams of being more fun whilst just as respectable on the whole. If you want a sneak preview of university economics check out these microeconomic university notes - my university students at both LSE and UCL find them a friendly alternative to lecture notes.

Oh and congratulations with the offer!
m0hd_J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
May I ask, what a levels did you take?
It's just that I'm an aspiring economics student and am choosing what a levels to take and advice from somebody who got offers from such prestigious unis would help! Haha
Cheers and best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
DanCatc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mate I'm planning to do the exact same thing whats your name if i see you on april 9th we'll decide together haha
(Original post by A193)
Im in the same position as you.

Got an offer from lse for economics on friday...

I want to firm LSE because it is award enouh to get just an offer from LSE, but UCL is think suits me better since the LSE100 programme has put me off a bit.

LSE:
- better prestige
- London School of Economics

UCL:
- more social people
- optional courses, like Languages

I want to go for the one that has less to study (in comparison to one anohter) and the one that has less examintations, plus easier content to revise. I understand what you mean, I know I am capable of being an LSE undergrad but will the extremely inteeligent int'l students prevent me from doing as good?

Visited UCL twice, and I've been invited to LSE on the 9th April - going to check it out, and then make my firm and insurance
Hi guys, may I ask you what did you choose in the end and what are your opinions now? At a distance of 3 years, I am in the same situation as you! Help pliz xD
EconNinja
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I do Econ at LSE. Theres no doubt LSE is better but lets be clear UCL is still very good (top 5 for sure). In terms of difficulty it is similar between LSE and UCL, the separating point is perhaps that at LSE you have to do the same Maths and stats as math students so these modules can be more challenging. HOWEVER, if you got into LSE its because you are very good at maths so you will be able to cope with it. Moreover If you come and fail (which no one does BTW) then you can if you want just transfer course or even universities.

I am confused by this textbook stuff hough. At lse most courses don't even have textbooks as the stuff we do is often different from textbooks so you just use lecture notes which is fine so don't worry about that. Moreover in terms of social life there is really no difference, your both in london so have a london social life, I go on UCL nights out and UCL students go on LSE nights out thees no difference. Also in terms of cost once again both are in london so they are the SAME PRICE so honestly don't worry.

Conclusion: both are great universities and well make you a great economist personally for me LSE has the edge as you have more ability to take outside options and has a marginally better rep but thats literally it.
The_Alex_Peter
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you mind sharing what your offers from each uni were?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads