The Student Room Group

What to do after my degree.. ?

Hey.

I'm just over half way through my degree in Interpreting and Translating (French/German) and so although it's early I'm starting to think about life after uni.

I absolutely love languages but the thing is...I don't want to go into teaching. I love interpreting but don't feel like I'd be ready to jump straight into that career...

I feel like there's something out there for me but I have no idea what it is or whether I can achieve it with my language degree.

Does anyone else feel like they're gonna have to adapt in order to get the career they want?
Reply 1
Hi,

I felt exactly the same way about my languages degree. It's generally expected that you will become an interpreter/translator or a teacher but, don't worry, there are many more jobs out there for people with your degree. What do you like about languages? The travel? Communicating with people?

There are many jobs in business, recruitment, government, general graduate schemes, academia, travel and tourism, editing, writing/journalism, publishing etc that you can do. First, think about why you like languages so much and the rest will come!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending