The Student Room Group

Anti oppressive practice? Anti discriminatory practice? Help PLEASE?

Hi all!

I am trying to find a basic definition for anti oppressive practice and the differences between anti discriminatory and anti oppressive practice. Anyway a basic definition does not exist so I have tried to make sense of some more complex definitions from the web, this is what I got from it:

Anti oppressive practice is about the power dynamics between professionals and service users; social workers therefore need to be aware of the dynamic and to ensure that they do not use it to discriminate nor oppress.

It is also about ensuring that individuals that are made to feel powerless by society due to their gender, race, culture etc. are empowered to become powerful.

So for an example of if I were to act oppressively I thought would it be where I provide services to a wheelchair bound service user in buildings with no wheelchair ramps?

I also found that discrimination can lead to oppression but I am still struggling to understand the difference between the two?

If I have this totally wrong or have missed anything could you please advise me... I am trying to swot up for an interview.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest