The Student Room Group

Essay grade appeal.

I'm a second year student who took three modules last term and in two of them achieved around my previous grade average of about 66, with two 65's and a 68 in essays. The third module i took i was marked at a 55/58. I didn't feel like this module was my weakest area nor the hardest module. From a one-one session i didn't really buy the criticism i was getting and that it warranted putting the essay on that grade, regardless i worked on it and the second essay was in my eyes an improvement on the things criticised, overall i saw it as entirely better. Except it received a worst mark.

From this situation does it seem likely that i may actually be in the right and the marker might be at fault here? Has anyone had experience with appealing or is it perhaps preferable to simply take the hit to the marks and avoid this professor in future modules.
Reply 1
Impossible to tell without seeing the marking framework and the essays. What is the marking policy and how much does the mark count towards your final classification? Any essays which count as coursework are double marked at my uni - if that's the case I don't think you can appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest