The Student Room Group

Why do the guys I fancy seem to be hung up on other girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah kinda... (what constitutes 'first move/indication of interest'?)

??

They're quite interpretive. Why don't you tell us what indications you picked up on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by euphrosyne
Well it's damaged my confidence massively and now I just try not to show any interest in guys. But as that can be quite difficult(/impossible?), I've decided to change my looks as well; I'm trying to lose even more weight, change my hair, improve my fashion sense (although I've always been quite the fashionista), invest in more make-up etc :lol: Tbf, I'm doing those things for me; to make myself feel confident again, but in all honesty, I feel like the way I look is the biggest problem, so I'm hoping that all this change will help things.

Right...
Reply 22
Original post by Jebedee
They're quite interpretive. Why don't you tell us what indications you picked up on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Approaching, asking for a number, texting ?? Call me clueless but I never know if these are indicative of interest as some guys cycle through this stuff for an ego boost or to 'practice' their 'game' or summat or might just be friendly. A guy once did this (approached, got chatting) but then asked me who this other chick was standing nearby (wtf ???) but continued to chat and asked for a number. Found it difficult to take any IOIs seriously after that :s-smilie: I mean who does that? (these situations are why I get confused and often dismiss/remain oblivious to IOIs)
This happens to me ALL the time. It's so damn frustrating. And I don't fall for guys easily (I'm actually quite picky) so when I do and find out that there's another girl involved I just.. :frown: It's like what's the point in even trying anymore if there's always going to be that one girl from their past that they've known for a while and have feelings for. How can you compete with that? You can't.
Reply 24
Original post by Peachykeen09
This happens to me ALL the time. It's so damn frustrating. And I don't fall for guys easily (I'm actually quite picky) so when I do and find out that there's another girl involved I just.. :frown: It's like what's the point in even trying anymore if there's always going to be that one girl from their past that they've known for a while and have feelings for. How can you compete with that? You can't.

Exactly. Hit the nail on the head. It seems to be all the genuine/ decent guys too.

Even worse when people compliment you on your looks or tell you how easily you should be able to get someone but that someone never seems to notice. Sigh. Makes you think that it's all bs
Reply 25
As a guy... i'd say that it's completely possible and very likely for a guy to be attracted to more than one girl at the same time.

It doesn't mean we aren't interested in someone, but it means that whilst things are at an early stage then we don't limit our options incase it doesn't work out. Also, no guy wishes to come off needy. I think a girl is less likely to remain interested if the guy suddenly drops interest in everyone else at such an early stage and goes gung-ho.

That said, I always get the impression girls play similar games anyway.

You just gotta believe that you can offer more than anyone else, but it's not gonna happen instantly.
Reply 26
Approaching, asking for a number, texting ?? Call me clueless but I never know if these are indicative of interest as some guys cycle through this stuff for an ego boost or to 'practice' their 'game' or summat or might just be friendly. A guy once did this (approached, got chatting) but then asked me who this other chick was standing nearby (wtf ???) but continued to chat and asked for a number. Found it difficult to take any IOIs seriously after that :s-smilie: I mean who does that? (these situations are why I get confused and often dismiss/remain oblivious to IOIs)

Well if he didn't receive one back is logical he'd give up and move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Jebedee
Well if he didn't receive one back is logical he'd give up and move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guess I need to work on my flirting skills then ...
Because they are better then you im afraid. Men in demand rarely settle for second best.

The same way that you don't want to .
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Because they are better then you im afraid. Men in demand rarely settle for second best.

The same way that you don't want to .

I see. In what way might I ask? Bear in mind these guys I've met only recently and starting to get to know when I find out that they might hold a flame for someone else - would the statement still hold true? How could I rectify this issue and become 'better'?

(this is doing wonders for my self confidence :rolleyes: )
I see. In what way might I ask? Bear in mind these guys I've met only recently and starting to get to know when I find out that they might hold a flame for someone else - would the statement still hold true? How could I rectify this issue and become 'better'?

(this is doing wonders for my self confidence :rolleyes: )

I'm sorry babes but its a part of life , everyone has gone through this at one point , even the hottest of chicks because there is ALWAYS someone out there more attractive and appealing then you .

All you can really do is move on , accept it and work to make yourself more attractive / appealing (thats if this is the issue) , it might just be that your crush actually loves this person and there is nothing you can do to change this.

I wouldn't really ask you to rectify anything , as long as your confident in your appearance and you have a outgoing personality then it's only a matter of time until someone shows interest in you . Though it seems to me that your very picky so obviously your gonna have a harder time . If you want to take fate into your own hands then perhaps learning to flirt well , investing effort into your appearance and widening your social circle / going out more / expanding your interests is a good idea ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
i think your "intuition" may be wrong, just because hes in photos with other girls doesnt mean anything.
Reply 32
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
I'm sorry babes but its a part of life , everyone has gone through this at one point , even the hottest of chicks because there is ALWAYS someone out there more attractive and appealing then you .

All you can really do is move on , accept it and work to make yourself more attractive / appealing (thats if this is the issue) , it might just be that your crush actually loves this person and there is nothing you can do to change this.

I wouldn't really ask you to rectify anything , as long as your confident in your appearance and you have a outgoing personality then it's only a matter of time until someone shows interest in you . Though it seems to me that your very picky so obviously your gonna have a harder time . If you want to take fate into your own hands then perhaps learning to flirt well , investing effort into your appearance and widening your social circle / going out more / expanding your interests is a good idea ?

Hmm can't deny that...

Hmm I've been told I'm pretty/dress well - albeit only girls actually say that to my face - and get a fair bit of attention from guys (though in my shyness/obliviousness brush it off which I realize may come off as disinterest) but still find it difficult to be confident in my looks, and I can be a bit quiet/shy sometimes which probably doesnt help.

Thanks - I'll take that into account :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by lucas13
i think your "intuition" may be wrong, just because hes in photos with other girls doesnt mean anything.

Really? What about multiple photos with a certain girl where he's leaning in towards her and has a sort of 'puppy dog' expression on his face?
Reply 34
Really? What about multiple photos with a certain girl where he's leaning in towards her and has a sort of 'puppy dog' expression on his face?

yes, that may be the case some of the time but not always, you shouldnt just give up based on a photo
Reply 35
Original post by lucas13
yes, that may be the case some of the time but not always, you shouldnt just give up based on a photo

Id rather not take the risk :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending