Three Point Turn on a National Speed Limit Road?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
snowy africa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello there,

I was trying to find this cricket club and I went past it by mistake and my passenger - an experienced driver- told me to do a three point turn, this was a national speed limit country lane, at night. I questioned it but she said that if I didn't we'd have to drive another couple of miles to find the next junction to turn around at. So I did it and a car stopped at waited for me, I flashed him to say thank you.

Anyway... is it a legal thing to do?

Many thanks.
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't advise it, especially at night. A car going 60mph is going to take a while to stop when they suddenly see you in the road. Driving an extra couple of miles isn't that bad when the alternative could be so much worse, don't put people's lives at risk.
snowy africa
Rep:
?
Okay, but is it illegal?

I've learnt my lesson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Add!ction
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say yes unless in extreme circumstances. I cannot think how it isn't illegal because it is so dangerous.

I'm not lecturing you because we all make mistakes and learn from them. But when you are driving YOU are driving, a police officer isn't going to let you off because you didn't realise or because your friend said it was ok.
snowy africa
Rep:
?
I understand, I know I shouldn't of done it

Do you, or anyone know of the legality of it though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jusdorange
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no specific law (unless there was no U turn signs)

However you could have been prosecuted for dangerous driving if it was seen to put other drivers in a dangerous position
jusdorange
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Add!ction)
I would say yes unless in extreme circumstances. I cannot think how it isn't illegal because it is so dangerous.

I'm not lecturing you because we all make mistakes and learn from them. But when you are driving YOU are driving, a police officer isn't going to let you off because you didn't realise or because your friend said it was ok.
As stated above its not illegal

If a police was there it'd be down to their discretion
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seems ok to me
Kazbian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You shouldn't have done it. If I'm totally honest though, I've done it myself late at night with full beams on. We all occasionally do stupid things on the road.

I remember a friend taking the wrong exit off a roundabout onto a motorway. One of the other passengers suggested to do a three-point-turn on the slip road! I was astonished. That is even more dangerous. Thank god she hadn't passed her driving test then!
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Assuming there was no "no you turns" sign and you could see what was coming and the road wasn't too busy, there's nothing stopping you from doing a u turn.
kumori
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People already answered your question, but I just thought I would say its good practise to use hazards while three point turning since you are a hazard. (I use hazard lights a lot (in the right places), it seems to confuse people a lot too)

Posted from TSR Mobile
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No its not illegal. And anyone doing 60mph on a country lane that is dark and you can't see round a bend where someone might be doing a 3 point turn or a deer is waiting for you then you deserve to be in an accident.

Always treat country lanes with the greatest of respect as it is where most accidents occur, usually because of people driving too fast for the conditions, or too fast and they can't see far enough for the speed they are doing.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone saying the action itself is stupid, needs to learn more about driving, and life in general. If it was in a bendy section of road with lots of blind corners, or there was a lot of traffic, or anything else to make it specifically dangerous then maybe, but if it was a straight, quiet section of road where you can see there's no one coming then there's no harm in it at all. Part of being a good driver is assessing risks and making a good judgement.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If an accident happened because of it you could be prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
No its not illegal. And anyone doing 60mph on a country lane that is dark and you can't see round a bend where someone might be doing a 3 point turn or a deer is waiting for you then you deserve to be in an accident.

Always treat country lanes with the greatest of respect as it is where most accidents occur, usually because of people driving too fast for the conditions, or too fast and they can't see far enough for the speed they are doing.
Yeah except that it is the person that gets hit that inevitably takes the wrap for it when an accident does occurr
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are conflicting opinions on here about the legality of a turn in the road on a national speed limit road at night, even more so regarding whether the manoeuvre is dangerous.

In short, there is no specific law that prohibits performing a three point turn on a single carriageway road. There are laws that prohibit stopping on certain roads, and laws that prohibit U-turns in prescribed places.

The two laws that may be relevant to this case that will apply at all times in all locations are:
  • Section 3, RTA 1988:driving without due care and attention (or without reasonable consideration), and
  • Section 2, RTA 1988:driving dangerously

While people are quick to use the word "dangerous", the law only recognises this in extreme cases where an actual danger exists, not merely a potential one.

If there is only a potential danger, then the appropriate charge would be one of due care and attention, even if a collision occurred by virtue of misfortune rather than sheer recklessness.

Everyone will have a different picture in their mind about the events of that night where the OP performed a manoeuvre at that location, but these imaginings of events will vary wildly. Only a police officer who witnesses the scene including all its mitigating circumstances, after hearing all accounts of the order of events, can make a decision as to which law, if any, has been broken.

Performing a turn in the road on a national speed limit road at night does carry some risk, more so than on a 30mph road in daylight, but circumstances to be considered are these:

1. Was the road lit? If so, there is far less of a risk as your whole car (not just your lights) can be seen from further away.

2. How far could you see in each direction? Was the manoeuvre performed between blind bends only a few metres apart? or in the middle of a 2 mile long straight stretch of road where traffic could stop comfortably and gently even from motorway speeds?

3. How wide was the road? In other words, was the other driver forced to stop, or could they have simply steered around you if they chose to?

4. Was the manoeuvre completed within a reasonable time? Could another competent driver in a similar car have completed the manoeuvre in a single U-turn whereas you took 3 shunts? Or did you take 5 shunts, several stalls and 5 minutes to complete whereas a competent driver would have completed in 3 shunts in under 20 seconds?

Personally, I'd have either taken advantage of a lay-by or natural widening in the road where I could perform a single sweep U-turn, or stayed on my own side of the road, then performed a corner reverse into a farm entrance or something.
fluttershy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's very important on the road that you never rely on the fact that another driver should be able to see you and stop intime. For a start, if someone is acting reckless and hits you, the fact that they were in the wrong won't bring you back to life, or restore full function to your body. Also, there is plenty of legal precedent where this has not been applied in cases where the colliding driver or a third party has died. Even without death or serious injury, the insurance companies would probably find some fault with both parties in the event of an accident.
Also, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's fine in all circumstances. This is particularly important when in the event of an accident your defense is that the other driver was wrong to be driving at the legal (60mph) limit at that point.
As far as doing a three point turn on a NSL road, I'd say use common sense regarding visibility (is it just after a blind bend, the crest of a hill or in a dip), conditions (slippy road, fog etc), and how long you expect to take to turn, and of course things like using hazards, keeping a good lookout etc.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the stupidity or not of this maneuver really depends on the conditions.

when I need to, I'll do a 3 point on rural NSL roads by reversing into a suitable field gateway - suitable means not on a blind bend, with firm looking ground that's level with the road surface etc, etc.

that way if any cars do appear while I'm reversing, then I'm not blocking the full width of the road.

hazards are a good idea because you're not shining much light down the road in either direction when you're in the middle of the road at right angles to the direction of oncoming traffic.
Olie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)

This. I've done it a few times when I was confident the road was quiet enough and was on a large enough straight bit, but it could be dangerous if you do it near to a bend on a NS limit road.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Buckley321)
Put me in dangerous position she braked an then turned to not go down another road an I hit the car an they were just hunting back up 60 mile zone for to meat back we someone the lomond turned up they must bin using phones an got another details an she cogent whait to get of an set off the way we wear traveling so if that's not dangerous driving 14 March 21 **** if you gonna turn there make sure the car beined as stoped we you or drive forward the f idiot
This thread is 7 years old.

Apart from that, it helps if you can post something everyone can understand.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (547)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (418)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (514)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (185)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.5%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.4%

Watched Threads