The Student Room Group

NCH ditches A-level offers for 2014

New College of the Humanities is the Elite 'oxbridge alternative' university in the title of this article http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/elite-oxbridge-alternative-university-to-stop-basing-admissions-on-alevel-results-due-to-concerns-over-standards-9117409.html

I wonder if it's using Birmingham's unconditional offers as cover for a barrel scraping exercise to get it's £18,000pa enrolment up?
surely A levels haven't suddenly got worse over the last year, in fact I thought the evidence was that they were starting to get tougher if anything.
Reply 1
Original post by Joinedup
New College of the Humanities is the Elite 'oxbridge alternative' university in the title of this article http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/elite-oxbridge-alternative-university-to-stop-basing-admissions-on-alevel-results-due-to-concerns-over-standards-9117409.html

I wonder if it's using Birmingham's unconditional offers as cover for a barrel scraping exercise to get it's £18,000pa enrolment up?
surely A levels haven't suddenly got worse over the last year, in fact I thought the evidence was that they were starting to get tougher if anything.

Doesn't suprise me- its still an unknown quantity over here and with the fees requiring a personal top up of £1000's and the grade requirements previously being high it would have put many off. I would still encourage an A*/A student to apply for Oxbridge rather than NCH as I feel you know what your getting.
I completely forgot about NCH. I remember a few threads on it a few years ago here, before it admitted its first students, but forgot about it until I read this thread. Certainly, have never heard anyone here discussing it as an Oxbridge alternative. Or, in fact, an alternative to anything at all. So it might well be an effort to entice more into paying the £18,000 fees.
Original post by Smack
I completely forgot about NCH. I remember a few threads on it a few years ago here, before it admitted its first students, but forgot about it until I read this thread. Certainly, have never heard anyone here discussing it as an Oxbridge alternative. Or, in fact, an alternative to anything at all. So it might well be an effort to entice more into paying the £18,000 fees.

It doesn't surprise me. Grayling's scholarship on Wittgenstein is abysmal, and the university has annoying people like Dawkins which are more concerned with indocrination than education.
Original post by Smack

It still doesn't have its highly trusted sponsor licence from the Home Office (you have to have a 3 year track record to get it). As a result it still can't take international students who need a Tier 4 education visa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending