The Student Room Group

Drop out of uni?

Hi. Basically I am studying History at a top 15 uni, in my first year. But, I feel like this degree is pointless. I am so worried about what I'm going to do in the future as a career. Everyone told me about how history is a respected degree and you get skills employers value. However, when I read forums on tsr everyone just says an arts degree is useless in the job market. I'm not a fussy person, I just want to earn a decent wage working in an office or something. Do any graduates or people in general have any examples of what people you know have done.
Reply 1
many successful people have come from non quantitative degree programs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/successful-liberal-arts-majors-2012-12?op=1

don't let some kid on TSR demotivate you
Reply 2
You're going to drop out of a degree because of what someone says on the internet? I don't believe that, I think you are just looking for an excuse, and if not, stay in there.
Reply 3
enter lucy96 in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by matt_g96
many successful people have come from non quantitative degree programs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/successful-liberal-arts-majors-2012-12?op=1

don't let some kid on TSR demotivate you

have you considered that the success of CEO's who are 2-3 generations old may not be comparable to this generation?

times have changed
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Table dust
have you considered that the success of CEO's who are 2-3 generations old may not be comparable to this generation?

times have changed

enlightenment me, how times have changed
enlightenment me, how times have changed

the technology sector has been driving economic growth in developed countries

for example comp sci start ups have proven to be the most accessible and lucrative for small businesses

edit: no i will not continue an economics debate regarding this
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Table dust
the technology sector has been driving economic growth in developed countries

for example comp sci start ups have proven to be the most accessible and lucrative for small businesses

just because the technology sector developed does not mean that a history degree isn't relevant... look at all the tech companies on the list that wasn't founded by a comp sci degree, PayPal, HP, the list goes on.

Now will it be difficult to get a programming job with a history degree? Of course, they don't bring anything to the table. But having a history degree in particular contains very useful skills, such as the ability to think from different perspectives or analyzing information.
just because the technology sector developed does not mean that a history degree isn't relevant... look at all the tech companies on the list that wasn't founded by a comp sci degree, PayPal, HP, the list goes on.

Now will it be difficult to get a programming job with a history degree? Of course, they don't bring anything to the table. But having a history degree in particular contains very useful skills, such as the ability to think from different perspectives or analyzing information.

Don't forget the amazing writing skills most graduates will have after all that essay writing over three years:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by King Leonidas
Don't forget the amazing writing skills most graduates will have after all that essay writing over three years:biggrin:

mhmm :smile:

paypal was co founded by a comp sci grad

HP was founded by 2 electrical engineers, i was using comp sci as an example of a quantitative subject - so this fits also

i recognise your point that anyone can be successful ect. but i'm certain quantitative grads will outclass non quant grads in terms of opportunities for economic success

and i'm sure statistically quant grads will be more economically successful

edit: yes history can be great and whatever, but OP wants an easier time getting a moderately paid job. if that's the case it's deceiving to argue a history degree provides as many opportunities as a quantitative degree
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Although I myself wouldn't chase a history degree for various reasons. You should not base anything on what you read on TSR when it comes to this type of stuff. The most active posters on such topics are usually sixth form students and what would they know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Markg125
You're going to drop out of a degree because of what someone says on the internet? I don't believe that, I think you are just looking for an excuse, and if not, stay in there.

Maybe I am looking for an excuse. It's just the prospects appear so grim, it seems like I have been conned into doing a degree of little worth :frown:
Original post by chrisluff
Maybe I am looking for an excuse. It's just the prospects appear so grim, it seems like I have been conned into doing a degree of little worth :frown:

Conned? Don't you make your own decisions?
Original post by ageshallnot
Conned? Don't you make your own decisions?

A lot of people make their decisions based on university prospectuses/college tutors/etc endlessly telling them "Oh yes, this degree will be great, lots of job prospects." It can be demoralising to realise you've been sold an exaggerated version of things by the education industry's marketing.

OP: If you enjoy your degree, stick with it. There are jobs out there for non-technical people. And chasing a specific degree in terms of future employment can be a gamble anyway, since you're trying to predict what job markets will be like in 3 years, and hoping that everyone else doesn't take the same bet and flood the market. Outside of a handful of "safe bets" you may as well do what you want.
Original post by chrisluff

There are still options though. And getting work experience in the summer will help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending