Buy DSA equipment myself / top up allowance?

Watch
Starkadder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
A quick question.

Has anyone had any experience of having DSA equipment allowance money paid directly into their bank account? I note that it is an option on the form and was wondering if there are any downsides to this.

I'm assuming if you were to do this you'd still be restricted to buying your equipment from a DSA approved supplier? I suspect that I will be able to get better value-for-money on my own, but clearly this wouldn't be the case if you're limited to buying directly from approved suppliers and can't 'shop around'

Secondly, is it possible to 'top up' DSA funding, i.e. ring the supplier and ask to supplement your allowance with private funds?

Thanks for any advice.
Sanddancerlass
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you buy for dsa supplier you will get warranty to cover it for the duration of your course so that's a pro there and they also fix any issues too. What finance company you getting dsa from sfe or NHS bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sanddancerlass
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
With me if it was in my bank I think I might use the remaining funds after buying things on general stuff in my life so I think it's better not to have it in bank if this is likely to happen . It's better someone else controlling it and you don't need to stress yourself out on finding the equipment you need. Plus budgeting the costs will be hard to get everything you need but not go over budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can Add funds if you want to change spc, for a weany boy Mac for instance
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also laptops and other equipment (some software) supplied through DSA are zero rated for VAT as they have been supplied in relation to a disability.
Starkadder
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Sanddancerlass)
With me if it was in my bank I think I might use the remaining funds after buying things on general stuff in my life so I think it's better not to have it in bank if this is likely to happen . It's better someone else controlling it and you don't need to stress yourself out on finding the equipment you need. Plus budgeting the costs will be hard to get everything you need but not go over budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My course is only a two year one, so most standard warranties will cover it for this length.

(Original post by balotelli12)
You can Add funds if you want to change spc, for a weany boy Mac for instance

(Original post by NJones)
Also laptops and other equipment (some software) supplied through DSA are zero rated for VAT as they have been supplied in relation to a disability.
Ah yes, that would make a big difference!

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (205)
43.62%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (54)
11.49%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.66%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (100)
21.28%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.21%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.74%

Watched Threads