Standard Procedure
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've got a load of VHS tapes id like to convert to DVD and or the computer- how easy and costly is this to do?

Saw something that cost £30 in Maplins- is it that easy to use?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Standard Procedure)
I've got a load of VHS tapes id like to convert to DVD and or the computer- how easy and costly is this to do?

There are a few ways.........such as using a video capture system, run it on a vhs player and record it using a dvd player
Standard Procedure
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
There are a few ways.........such as using a video capture system, run it on a vhs player and record it using a dvd player
Cheers!
I have a VHS player and dvd recorder...what am I missing? Is it costly?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cheers!
I have a VHS player and dvd recorder...what am I missing? Is it costly?
No ídea http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/di...om-vhs-to-dvd/

Though other methods could ímprove the qualíty
OliverG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah, looking at an EZCap?

I laugh at you. mwhahahha.

There is nothing EZ about it, let me tell you. Long story short, I started making freelance trailers for maps in Halo (sad I know), and when I started, I used one of them. Biggest pile of rubbish you will ever find. The moment I started making more money I got an HD PVR. More expensive, but infinitely better quality (1080p vs sub-360p). You may think it means nothing for VHS, but christ does it.

Simply put, buy an HD PVR or equivalent, but do not buy any video capture medium that is less than £50. Seriously. They just don't work.

I think with some recording DVD players you can just lob the (probably SCART, you should be able to get adapters) output from the video player into the DVD player and off you go, but otherwise that is your only option.
jessisaunicorn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

My parents had the same issue (apparently they wanted to preserve our shoddy home video collection from the late nineties :eek:) so they got this Video to DVD software in PCWorld as far as I remember. My dad digitized the collection over Xmas, so yeah it was easy to use! I guess when Uni's done for the summer it'll be my task to edit them :unimpressed:
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OliverG)
Ah, looking at an EZCap?

I laugh at you. mwhahahha.

There is nothing EZ about it, let me tell you. Long story short, I started making freelance trailers for maps in Halo (sad I know), and when I started, I used one of them. Biggest pile of rubbish you will ever find. The moment I started making more money I got an HD PVR. More expensive, but infinitely better quality (1080p vs sub-360p). You may think it means nothing for VHS, but christ does it.
Considering that VHS quality is the same level that the EZCap dongles capture at they should be fine for that purpose (it's actually 576i for a composite PAL signal). If you're trying to capture from an HD source (such as HDMI output) then there will be some quality loss but for VHS it's more than adequate. What will make a huge difference is the choice of encoding codec. The ones which are faster to encode generally are lower quality (and/or larger file sizes). Ideally you want to use H264 as the encoding codec but unless you've got a decent machine to encode on that may not be able to work in real time.
OliverG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mfaxford)
Considering that VHS quality is the same level that the EZCap dongles capture at they should be fine for that purpose (it's actually 576i for a composite PAL signal). If you're trying to capture from an HD source (such as HDMI output) then there will be some quality loss but for VHS it's more than adequate. What will make a huge difference is the choice of encoding codec. The ones which are faster to encode generally are lower quality (and/or larger file sizes). Ideally you want to use H264 as the encoding codec but unless you've got a decent machine to encode on that may not be able to work in real time.
You evidently have no experience with one.

It is nearly impossible to set up in the first place, and i'll be damned if you could find anything it can record in without crashing really. There is Arcsoft TME, which I had to spend 2 weeks discovering about, before downloading it (it's free) and finding that .m2ts files crash every 10 minutes, .wmv mostly works and everything else crashes.

Just because you record in the same resolution as the source does NOT mean you will get a similar image quality. Artifacts. ARTIFACTS EVERYWHERE! The image comprises largely of large, compressed squares (think recording in 720p then viewing it compressed on youtube)

In other (more sophisticated, technical) terms, IT ISN'T THE FORMAT, IT'S THE HARDWARE THINGY.
HeebieGeebie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Intriguing
Procrastonator
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

I’m 16 and this lockdown I took an interest in watching me and my brothers childhood vhs tapes. I heard they start degrading after ten years and me and my brother are 16 and 12. We used a senevo vsr and an old tv it started off good with my brothers earliest tape till we got to the 3 rd tape 2009 and it stopped working at 1 hour 16 minutes when it should go on for 5 hours more . The other older tapes worked fine they had a few lines which was expected. The fourth tape in the beginning crashes aswell. If his tapes are 11 years old kept in good condition and use quality camera records and tape recorders what went wrong? Mine are older and they have people that have passed away in them and other important memories.I doubt they would work. Do I need to clean the vhs head? I really want to convert them but with alevels and ukcat I don’t have the time. My mom said she kept the camcorders with the videos on them. This message went on for long but I hope someone comes up with a non bias solution as online websites always scare you into converting them to dvd so they can make profit. So I want a fair opinion from someone with knowledge. Please help these videos contain some important people and memories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.3%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (130)
60.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.95%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (30)
13.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.33%

Watched Threads