Is it common for people to believe Rio is the capital of Brazil?

Watch
Miel Purple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I did a sample of 20 people and 17 thought Rio de Janeiro was the capital...and 3 answered Brasilia..

Why are people so certain it's rio? :lol:
Is it because of Rio World Cup or Rio Olympics?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought Sao Paulo was the capital...
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is far more popular. If I'm not thinking I will say Rio. If I think, I will forget what it actually is.
cid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most people who have never been to Brazil or know someone from there, have most likely only heard of Rio. It's well known for its Christ statue, it's festival and its speedos

I knew Brasilia was the Capital, however if you gave me a blank map of Brazil I would not be able to pin point its location.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinaim)
It is far more popular. If I'm not thinking I will say Rio. If I think, I will forget what it actually is.
Yeah I do this too, rio used to be capital (decades ago) but it's such a easy and memorable name.
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used think it was but now I know it's Brasilia
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
people who don't know the capital of Brazil is Brasilia are ignorant.

They don't know their left from their right.

morons
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's like Australia, most people think Sidney is the capital, or in England where most people think London is the capital.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
(Original post by tehforum)
people who don't know the capital of Brazil is Brasilia are ignorant.

They don't know their left from their right.

morons
that escalated quickly...
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
It's like Australia, most people think Sidney is the capital, or in England where most people think London is the capital.
what?

London is the capital.

And it's spelt Sydney.
RabbitCFH
Report 6 years ago
Probably because Rio and Sao Paulo are the largest cities in Brazil. But if you're not a little caralho and have some knowledge of geography, you know Brasilia é a capital do Brasil.
Exon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This happens for the same reason people think Africa is a country.

People are **** at Geography.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A lot of people haven't heard of other cities in Brazil. Brasilia also is a sort of artificial city created purely to serve as the capital with no logical reason to be where it is. As a result it will probably remain fairly obscure. Washington DC would probably have been overshadowed by New York in the same way if the US weren't a much better known country than Brazil.
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol

I thought it was Buenos Ares

/jk

Gotta poster of the world on my bedroom wall with the capitals written underneath

#keepitgangster
danconway
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's mainly because it WAS the capital. And certainly the most memorable Brazilian city. Obviously, it's Brasilia.

On the note of thinking Africa was a country, there was a funny question in GCSE Music:

What country does this music come from? It was a piece of African traditional music, from Burkina Faso.
The mark scheme accepted Africa as an answer!
An ignorance of Geography is everywhere (and even as someone who doesn't do it for GCSE, a basic knowledge - such as the fact that EUROPE IS NOT A COUNTRY - DAMN AMERICANS! - is really important! Even if it's just not looking stupid in front of your mates).
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
(Original post by danconway)
It's mainly because it WAS the capital. And certainly the most memorable Brazilian city. Obviously, it's Brasilia.
I don't think this at all, a lot of people think rio is capital for many reasons, statues, memorable name, world events but few (especially students nowadays) probably didn't know rio used to be capital...and it was last capital in the 50s I believe...
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like Istanbul and Sydney, people assume Rio is the capital because it is the iconic city that defines the country.
JPL9457
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
were these people, by any chance, Americans?
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Like Istanbul and Sydney, people assume Rio is the capital because it is the iconic city that defines the country.
True. But that's unfortunate.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quantex)
True but some of the people I asked were absolutely certain it was rio :lol:

(Original post by JPL9457)
were these people, by any chance, Americans?
1 American, rest were British..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed