The Student Room Group

Guys: would you ever flirt with a girl to make fun of her?

Question for guys: would you ever flirt with a girl to take the piss because you thought she was unattractive or easy or something? (I'm 19 btw and so are many of the guys I'm talking about)

Since coming to uni I sometimes get guys who I don't know well trying to have 'banter' with me often when their friends are around, but I get the feeling that they are trying to make fun of me in front of their friends, sort of like 'look at me flirting with/trying to 'play' the average/unattractice girl' :s-smilie: Of course they might just be being friendly without any flirty intentions

The feeling is amplifies when a guy has been chatting and laughing with a friend and then comes up to talk to me - I cant help but think they're mocking me so always assume a defensive position. I thought guys had grown out of this :/

I've been told by some poeple that I'm quite good looking or at least above average tho Id have what you call ugly-duckling syndrome i.e. was not attractive in my formative years and went to a girls school so not much experience with guys. Question is why does this keep happening??!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Question is why does this keep happening??!

Because you're very insecure/thread.
Question for guys: would you ever flirt with a girl to take the piss because you thought she was unattractive or easy or something? (I'm 19 btw and so are many of the guys I'm talking about)

Since coming to uni I sometimes get guys who I don't know well trying to have 'banter' with me often when their friends are around, but I get the feeling that they are trying to make fun of me in front of their friends, sort of like 'look at me flirting with/trying to 'play' the average/unattractice girl' :s-smilie: Of course they might just be being friendly without any flirty intentions

The feeling is amplifies when a guy has been chatting and laughing with a friend and then comes up to talk to me - I cant help but think they're mocking me so always assume a defensive position. I thought guys had grown out of this :/

I've been told by some poeple that I'm quite good looking or at least above average tho Id have what you call ugly-duckling syndrome i.e. was not attractive in my formative years and went to a girls school so not much experience with guys. Question is why does this keep happening??!

Maybe it is to be your lot in life.
Reply 3
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

How so? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by LogicDevelopment
Maybe it is to be your lot in life.

wat

I certainly wouldn't no. Stuff like that does little to build ones belief in society.
Reply 6
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
I certainly wouldn't no. Stuff like that does little to build ones belief in society.

What do you reckon the guys mentioned in my scenario are doing? Have you any friends who do that?
wat

Some people get treated like this their whole lives perhaps it is inevitable, I do not know.
What do you reckon the guys mentioned in my scenario are doing? Have you any friends who do that?

Just ignore them. Plenty more decent people out in the world. I had acquaintances at Uni who were a bit like that but nobody I choose to be friends with.
Reply 9
Some people get treated like this their whole lives perhaps it is inevitable, I do not know.

Are you high?
Reply 10
I wouldn't say this is common to be honest. Most guys, just like girls, are genuine. Why are you suspicious of their intentions?
Reply 11
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Just ignore them. Plenty more decent people out in the world. I had acquaintances at Uni who were a bit like that but nobody I choose to be friends with.

I see...

I struggle to understand what would possess people to behave in such a way...
Are you high?

Are you? What do you think it is about you that makes people faux flirt with you?
I see...

I struggle to understand what would possess people to behave in such a way...

Because they can. Or perhaps they simply are so lacking in personality and moral compass that they don't give a damn. Who knows, I wouldn't let it bother you.
Reply 14
Original post by Zarek
I wouldn't say this is common to be honest. Most guys, just like girls, are genuine. Why are you suspicious of their intentions?

Hmm not too sure why I'm suspicious... Sometimes guys (often people I don't know well at all) will be really friendly/banterous randomly when I see them on nights out and often when their friends are around, but when I see them around uni during the day or even just generally later on they're a lot 'colder' (?) or not as friendly which makes it a bit suspect :s-smilie: Other times like I mentioned above they'll chat/laugh/giggle with their friend first before coming over which again seems suspect. I guess I also don't understand what guys would see in me so don't understand why they would bother to come over (sound self pitying I know)
Reply 15
Are you? What do you think it is about you that makes people faux flirt with you?

Haha touche. I don't have an answer to that question lol
Reply 16
Hmm not too sure why I'm suspicious... Sometimes guys (often people I don't know well at all) will be really friendly/banterous randomly when I see them on nights out and often when their friends are around, but when I see them around uni during the day or even just generally later on they're a lot 'colder' (?) or not as friendly which makes it a bit suspect :s-smilie: Other times like I mentioned above they'll chat/laugh/giggle with their friend first before coming over which again seems suspect. I guess I also don't understand what guys would see in me so don't understand why they would bother to come over (sound self pitying I know)

I would say relax a little bit more. Sure there are some guys who are arse holes, but they are in the minority. Seek out some some people, male and female, who you trust to have fun with. I am sure you have a lot going for you.
tumblr_mxk2ufHNOc1s6mz5ao3_500.png
natsume asako seems to have the right idea
Haha touche. I don't have an answer to that question lol

Those previous statements and questions were simply a test. You sound like a lovely person and should not dishearted because some superficial scumbags mistreat you. Really are they the type of people you would desire to be in a relationship with anyway. As for ugly duckling syndrome, that is a loaded and horrible term, you should feel good about yourself and I wish you all the best for the future.
Reply 19
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

Exactly right. If you believe people are only taking the piss out of you when they approach you without ANY real reason to do so, that's obviously your insecurity. If you had said that you are fat and ugly then you might have had a point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending