The Student Room Group

Guys: would you ever flirt with a girl to make fun of her?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zarek
I would say relax a little bit more. Sure there are some guys who are arse holes, but they are in the minority. Seek out some some people, male and female, who you trust to have fun with. I am sure you have a lot going for you.

Will take that into account - Thanks :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by LogicDevelopment
Those previous statements and questions were simply a test. You sound like a lovely person and should not dishearted because some superficial scumbags mistreat you. Really are they the type of people you would desire to be in a relationship with anyway. As for ugly duckling syndrome, that is a loaded and horrible term, you should feel good about yourself and I wish you all the best for the future.

Makes sense, haha thanks :smile:
That's just mean, I'd never do that.
Original post by Anonymous
Question for guys: would you ever flirt with a girl to take the piss because you thought she was unattractive or easy or something? (I'm 19 btw and so are many of the guys I'm talking about)

Since coming to uni I sometimes get guys who I don't know well trying to have 'banter' with me often when their friends are around, but I get the feeling that they are trying to make fun of me in front of their friends, sort of like 'look at me flirting with/trying to 'play' the average/unattractice girl' :s-smilie: Of course they might just be being friendly without any flirty intentions

The feeling is amplifies when a guy has been chatting and laughing with a friend and then comes up to talk to me - I cant help but think they're mocking me so always assume a defensive position. I thought guys had grown out of this :/

I've been told by some poeple that I'm quite good looking or at least above average tho Id have what you call ugly-duckling syndrome i.e. was not attractive in my formative years and went to a girls school so not much experience with guys. Question is why does this keep happening??!

Personally I've never even heard of anyone doing that before. I'd say you're just overthinking.
Makes sense, haha thanks :smile:

The people who faux flirt and probably sociopaths. Be hearted you have the moral high ground a hundred times over.
Original post by LogicDevelopment
Those previous statements and questions were simply a test. You sound like a lovely person and should not dishearted because some superficial scumbags mistreat you. Really are they the type of people you would desire to be in a relationship with anyway. As for ugly duckling syndrome, that is a loaded and horrible term, you should feel good about yourself and I wish you all the best for the future.

Er, did you read the first post? She said guys are just talking to her, she just sounds paranoid that's they're being horrible.
Reply 26
I have some friends that do this haha
Reply 27
Original post by futbol

I've seen friends do it too, but they do it with fat or ugly girls really, not attractive ones as the OP has been described as.
Original post by Mankytoes
Er, did you read the first post? She said guys are just talking to her, she just sounds paranoid that's they're being horrible.

Yes but if they are going out of their way to act in a strange manner, then she perhaps has cause for concern.
Reply 29
Original post by tazarooni89
Personally I've never even heard of anyone doing that before. I'd say you're just overthinking.

Hmm I do have a tendency to overthink tbh...
Reply 30
Original post by futbol

It's not particularly funny. What do you think they get out of doing this?
It can be for two reasons...you're either insecure and think you're uglier than you are. The other reasons could be they're drunk and you're a bit unattractive so see you as an easy lay.

Obviously this doesn't answer your question unless you've got an objective view of yourself...most girls don't.
Reply 32
It's not particularly funny. What do you think they get out of doing this?

They know they're good looking guys and they use it to their advantage
Reply 33
Original post by McFlury
I've seen friends do it too, but they do it with fat or ugly girls really, not attractive ones as the OP has been described as.

Yeah they just do it because they know they'll get a few laughs at the end of the day
This has happened to me many many times. Particularly a guy who knew I was seriously in love with him for 4 years. He'd go as far as pinning me against a wall or bed and taking me off guard then pulling away at the last second and laughing his ass off (and screwing my friends). I became a running joke for people to mess around with and never had a boyfriend right up until 20. And at the risk of sounding conceited I'll admit I am certainly not unnattractive either.

And I've been sexually assaulted too many times to when some random dude starts trying to talk me into going to his flat I am not stupid enough to believe its because he wants me to meet his parents and get married.

It's hard to know when people are being genuine. The most annoying thing is the only guys who have genuinely felt anything for me are the ones who WOULD NOT approach me and by the time I found out it was too late. (moved on or moved away)
Reply 35
Original post by Mr_Sinister
It can be for two reasons...you're either insecure and think you're uglier than you are. The other reasons could be they're drunk and you're a bit unattractive so see you as an easy lay.

Obviously this doesn't answer your question unless you've got an objective view of yourself...most girls don't.

How could I tell which one it is?

Also this normally happens at the start of the night so surely they cant be that drunk, or if they were I'd be able to tell coz of slurring and what not ( *clutching at straws here hoping it's not the second reason :P ). Also they don't overtly try to 'make a move' if that says anything - just comes accross as over flirtatiousness
Reply 36
Original post by futbol
They know they're good looking guys and they use it to their advantage

And what is the usual outcome of these scenarios? Do the girls fall for it or realize whats going on?
Reply 37
And what is the usual outcome of these scenarios? Do the girls fall for it or realize whats going on?

They usually don't realise what's going on
Reply 38
Original post by futbol
They usually don't realise what's going on

ouch

Do these girls have anything in common? Are they unattractive/ugly/fat?
Reply 39
Unattractive/Ugly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending