The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Things I should know about Leeds?

What are some of the things you wish you researched/knew about Leeds before moving there for university? Or even if you've grew up there, what are some interesting things to do/places within or surrounding Leeds? Also are there any big shopping centres etc? :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've lived in leeds my entire life and from my point of view it's a little dull but I can't say it's not busy and exciting at times. There's the Leeds high street in general for shopping, Trinity Leeds which is a huge complex in the centre of town just under a year old which really is impressive. There's a huge topshop, river island, urban outfitters and other standard stuff, as well as a cinema (from what I hear it's fancy so it's really expensive though) and so many restaurants. The Light is an entertainment complex in the city centre, too, it's got a cinema, a virgin active gym, a bunch of restaurants, ideal for an evening out with friends. There's frequently something on in millenium square, too, november-december it's the german christmas market which is v small compared to others but it's enough for a couple of visits. After christmas there's an ice skating rink, and then through the year they have a bunch of events and stuff. there's museums on top of that so basically there's enough in the city centre so that you won't get bored if you aren't planning on straying too far into the surrounding area. If you do want to explore, there's Roundhay park which is a huge and beautiful park which is great if you enjoy scenery a bit more picturesque than hyde park (the park close to the uni) offers. The white rose shopping centre is also a bus away if you want a change of pace, it's not meadowhall but it's enough and it's soon to get an extension with a cinema and stuff like that. If all else fails and you're really sick of the sight of the place, York and Manchester are a surprisingly short train ride away.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Wowkachow
I've lived in leeds my entire life and from my point of view it's a little dull but I can't say it's not busy and exciting at times. There's the Leeds high street in general for shopping, Trinity Leeds which is a huge complex in the centre of town just under a year old which really is impressive. There's a huge topshop, river island, urban outfitters and other standard stuff, as well as a cinema (from what I hear it's fancy so it's really expensive though) and so many restaurants. The Light is an entertainment complex in the city centre, too, it's got a cinema, a virgin active gym, a bunch of restaurants, ideal for an evening out with friends. There's frequently something on in millenium square, too, november-december it's the german christmas market which is v small compared to others but it's enough for a couple of visits. After christmas there's an ice skating rink, and then through the year they have a bunch of events and stuff. there's museums on top of that so basically there's enough in the city centre so that you won't get bored if you aren't planning on straying too far into the surrounding area. If you do want to explore, there's Roundhay park which is a huge and beautiful park which is great if you enjoy scenery a bit more picturesque than hyde park (the park close to the uni) offers. The white rose shopping centre is also a bus away if you want a change of pace, it's not meadowhall but it's enough and it's soon to get an extension with a cinema and stuff like that. If all else fails and you're really sick of the sight of the place, York and Manchester are a surprisingly short train ride away.

thank you for replying! sounds like there's a lot to do then :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I go to the University and I've lived near all my life, so I haven't really known any different, so I can't comment on the city as I have no comparison.

For the uni though. The societies are great, the pubs near the city centre are always too busy for seating and the teaching is okay. There's not much else I can think to say.
Great place for socializing - lots of bars, pubs, restaurants, and shops - the Trinity centre recently opened.
Original post by Westeros
What are some of the things you wish you researched/knew about Leeds before moving there for university? Or even if you've grew up there, what are some interesting things to do/places within or surrounding Leeds? Also are there any big shopping centres etc? :-)

Its quite nice in terms of shopping the town centre is good. Watch out for the supporters when L666s play at home they bring big numbers and it can get ugly especially if they play Millwall.
Reply 6
Original post by carehow
I go to the University and I've lived near all my life, so I haven't really known any different, so I can't comment on the city as I have no comparison.

For the uni though. The societies are great, the pubs near the city centre are always too busy for seating and the teaching is okay. There's not much else I can think to say.

Oooh, what are you studying? Any chance you can give me an insight to your student accommodation if you're living in one atm at the University of Leeds :colondollar:
Reply 7
Oooh, what are you studying? Any chance you can give me an insight to your student accommodation if you're living in one atm at the University of Leeds :colondollar:

I'm studying a life sciences foundation year! So I'm only on a year long course (although I'll be starting a three year degree here next year) and am typically with the department that handles mature and part time students (even though I'm neither!). I'm not sure what teaching is like in other departments.

For student accommodation - it depends what you want to know? :smile: It really depends what you want in accommodation, they're all okay for different people! I'd definitely recommend visiting them if you can. Only thing I will say for definite is ask current students if there are infestations problems if you're bothered about that. Our flat has had an infestation of silverfish since we started. The other day I was drinking my coffee and found a silverfish at the bottom. :zomg:
Reply 8
Original post by carehow
I'm studying a life sciences foundation year! So I'm only on a year long course (although I'll be starting a three year degree here next year) and am typically with the department that handles mature and part time students (even though I'm neither!). I'm not sure what teaching is like in other departments.

For student accommodation - it depends what you want to know? :smile: It really depends what you want in accommodation, they're all okay for different people! I'd definitely recommend visiting them if you can. Only thing I will say for definite is ask current students if there are infestations problems if you're bothered about that. Our flat has had an infestation of silverfish since we started. The other day I was drinking my coffee and found a silverfish at the bottom. :zomg:

omg! :eek: nooooooOooOoo, that scares me. I HATE ANY KIND OF BUGS :frown: what accommodation is that?
Reply 9
Full of crime and poor people

Spoiler

Reply 10
omg! :eek: nooooooOooOoo, that scares me. I HATE ANY KIND OF BUGS :frown: what accommodation is that?

Oxley - I know it's in all of the other flats of people I talked to here though, but since I only know a handful of people from here, I can't confirm it's in all of Oxley! My friends from Lupton have also said they've got silverfish.
Reply 11
I go to leeds, I'm doing biological sciences, the city is great, especially if you're into your music like dubstep house ect even the mainstream clubs are good in comparison with the few others ive been too, the fast food is.... just wonderful... flames is just the light of my life...
as for accommodation you need to be super super selective. I chose so badly. It sounds weird, but, go cheap. all the cool people live in the cheaper accommodation. Lupton is great, so very social, you meet so many different kinds of people, whereas leodis is full of mummy boys and screaming teen girls. so it depends on what you want and you should try and find people with experiences living in the accoms before you choose.
Leeds is such a great city! I am sure you will have loads of fun, Trinity shopping centre is awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Prune.
I go to leeds, I'm doing biological sciences, the city is great, especially if you're into your music like dubstep house ect even the mainstream clubs are good in comparison with the few others ive been too, the fast food is.... just wonderful... flames is just the light of my life...
as for accommodation you need to be super super selective. I chose so badly. It sounds weird, but, go cheap. all the cool people live in the cheaper accommodation. Lupton is great, so very social, you meet so many different kinds of people, whereas leodis is full of mummy boys and screaming teen girls. so it depends on what you want and you should try and find people with experiences living in the accoms before you choose.

ahhh thank you! i've been really thinking to go cheap, but REALLY REALLY want an en suite :frown:
Reply 14
***** Public Transport *****
public transport in Leeds is famously crap like public transport everywhere else in Yorkshire. Manchester does things better in the north. Leeds is one of the biggest cities without a mass transit system like a tram or underground. If you're only travelling from Headingley or Hyde Park or Woodhouse to uni then it's not too bad. I prefer walking though. Avoid commuting by train if you can. It will be awful.

****** Bars ******
there are a lot of bars in Leeds. Not as many as in Manchester, but there are a lot of quality places. Manchester seems to be quantity over quality at times. Leeds is compact and easy to walk around.
My favourites are Friends of Ham, Sela Bar, FAB Cafe, Brewdog, Hirsts Yard, Reliance, Leeds Tap and North Bar (bit expensive though). For Student shenanigans I prefer going to Carpe Diem. They have everything you need: cheap booze, bands on and a pinball machine (it does make me feel old though).
I can't say much about clubs because I'm never in them, but when I do feel like dancing I'm either at Smokestack or Hi-Fi. I avoid Albion Street (TigerTiger, Oceana, etc) like the plague. There's a lot of soul, funk and jazz in Leeds!

Places not to bother drinking at are mostly on Greek Street and in the financial district of Leeds. Nothing but 'suits' hanging around this area. Slug and Lettuce has never appealed to me and will never win me over.

****** Green spaces and countryside *******
A short bus trip away you have the beauty of Ilkley Moor and also The Yorkshire Dales.
For such a big city, there are surprisingly a lot of green spaces In Leeds as well. The most obvious one is Woodhouse Moor, which you will no doubt see when you study there. A lot of runners run here (there's a big Parkrun every Saturday) and there are also a lot of skaters on weekends. There are a lot of squirrels that hang around here as well! Got a load hanging in my bins!
You also have The Meanwood Valley Trail and Roundhay Park.

***** Crime *****
the main thing you need to worry about is getting burgled. There are lots of thieves hanging around Leeds praying on naive young students. They're easily avoided and fought off by having things in your house such as timers to turn on lamps, shutting and locking windows and also having common sense. Also do a good analysis on the property you decide to rent out. Is there enough to keep the crims at bay?

***** areas to avoid *****
Leeds isn't as bad as some cities, but there are still a lot of rough areas in the city. Personally I'd avoid places like Little London, Chapeltown, Beeston, Harehills, Seacroft and Gipton at night. There is no reason you should be in these areas at night anyway, unless you have business there.

**** shopping for food ****
Everyone goes to Morrisons in the City Centre on Woodhouse Lane! It gets busy as hell in there! You'd save much more money if you went to Aldi in Meanwood or Lidl in Chapel Allerton! There's also a huge Asda in Pudsey and a huge Tesco in Seacroft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Prune.

This is very helpful, do you know anything about Central village or St. mark's residence? I don't want to be anywhere near screaming teenage girls! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

If you live in Burley or anywhere near it don't shop at Co-op shop at Makkah foods. It is way cheaper and the people who run it are lovely. seriously cannot stress this enough, it is so cheap for fresh veg.

Friends of Ham is amazing, the Victoria? (next to Oneills by the town hall) is a really nice reasonably priced pub.

Mint is terrible, never go there.

You are really close to the Yorkshire Dales - make the most of it.

Hansahs vegetarian curry place in town is AMAZING

Don't be put off the uni by the gross looking Biology building.
(edited 10 years ago)
http://www.mrniceguys.co.uk/

Is amazing.

Original post by datpiff

***** areas to avoid *****
Leeds isn't as bad as some cities, but there are still a lot of rough areas in the city. Personally I'd avoid places like Little London, Chapeltown, Beeston, Harehills, Seacroft and Gipton at night. There is no reason you should be in these areas at night anyway, unless you have business there.

Leeds West Indian Centre is all the reason you need to be in Chapeltown on a Saturday night. :yep:
Reply 18
Original post by mikeyd85

Is amazing.

Leeds West Indian Centre is all the reason you need to be in Chapeltown on a Saturday night. :yep:

noo it was way better when it was just pudding and milkshakes :frown:

Edit: Mr Nice Guys that is. not Leeds West Indian Centre
Reply 19
Original post by mikeyd85

Is amazing.

Forgot about that place!

Yep other than that don't bother with Chapeltown at night

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply