The Student Room Group

Degree advice

I know this thread is in the most likely in the wrong forum but the uni courses forum seems to be a tad dry atm, so I thought i'd get the thoughts of those at a similar age to myself

Im interested in doing a biology degree, but I am really confused on which one, I mean, I am interested in Human biology and anatomy, so avoiding plant biology and genetics (plant) would be of great benefit!

I have checked many Uni websites, and looked at their courses, but they are very varied, and I would like to know which one's you think would most suit or be appropriate for my interests!
I like all the medical topics, but am not interested in becoming a doctor, so out of these degrees, which do you advise for more human biology and anatomy in general and less plant biology and ecology:

Human biology
Human biology and anatomy
Biological sciences
Biomedical sciences
Medical sciences
Physiology

Yes, you can see the obvious, but specific human biology degrees are limited, whereas there are many biomedical science courses!

Which do you advise for me?

Thanks you :smile:
You need to read the course descriptions for each subject at a variety of different Unis - they will all be different. Also dont forget to look at combined and joint subject degrees. You might also find the 'Human Sciences' degree at Exeter interesting.

Only you can work out if each subject is 'the one'. Going to some Uni Open Days will help you see how these subjects are taught at Uni level - lots coming up in March and June/July.
Reply 2
Original post by Arturo09
I know this thread is in the most likely in the wrong forum but the uni courses forum seems to be a tad dry atm, so I thought i'd get the thoughts of those at a similar age to myself

Im interested in doing a biology degree, but I am really confused on which one, I mean, I am interested in Human biology and anatomy, so avoiding plant biology and genetics (plant) would be of great benefit!

I have checked many Uni websites, and looked at their courses, but they are very varied, and I would like to know which one's you think would most suit or be appropriate for my interests!
I like all the medical topics, but am not interested in becoming a doctor, so out of these degrees, which do you advise for more human biology and anatomy in general and less plant biology and ecology:

Human biology
Human biology and anatomy
Biological sciences
Biomedical sciences
Medical sciences
Physiology

Yes, you can see the obvious, but specific human biology degrees are limited, whereas there are many biomedical science courses!

Which do you advise for me?

Thanks you :smile:

It seems like Human Biology and Anatomy would suit you but I think you should research personally and decide for yourself as only you know what interest you the most and what you like doing. Why don't you talk to your college's advisers, teachers, tutors etc.

Also some universities have a common year where everyone gets taught the same thing and then in year 2 onwards you can switch to what interests you.
Look at the course modules not just the name of the course. Courses with the same name at different unis can be completely different. Also how do you feel about chemistry? Biomedical sciences will usually be a lot more chemistry based than physiology or anatomy.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
You need to read the course descriptions for each subject at a variety of different Unis - they will all be different. Also dont forget to look at combined and joint subject degrees. You might also find the 'Human Sciences' degree at Exeter interesting.

Only you can work out if each subject is 'the one'. Going to some Uni Open Days will help you see how these subjects are taught at Uni level - lots coming up in March and June/July.

Will have a look, and most definitely plan some visits.

Original post by SuperNinja
It seems like Human Biology and Anatomy would suit you but I think you should research personally and decide for yourself as only you know what interest you the most and what you like doing. Why don't you talk to your college's advisers, teachers, tutors etc.

Also some universities have a common year where everyone gets taught the same thing and then in year 2 onwards you can switch to what interests you.

I will speak to them, but they don't seem to do their job properly so it may just be a waste of time for me :/ I'll speak to my form tutor though :smile:
Yeah, i've heard about those years where you can change :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest