Good at research? How old was Mary Gabrielle Collins in WW1?!

Watch
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
All I know is that she was a British poetess during WW1. She wrote "Women at Munition Making" and she was called Mary Gabrielle Collins. No idea if that was her maiden name or if she was married.

I need to figure out roughly how old she was around 1914-1918. Help? If she was in the 'younger' generation i.e. teens->late 20s then it goes against a point I'm trying to make. If she was ~30s or older then it supports my point.

I did some basic Google searches and found nothing but I don't have the time to do a proper search. Any volunteers? :P

*My point is that the older generation were less comfortable with the change in society and the increase in women's independence/status/worth during the war because they were still stuck in the Victorian/19th century mindset.

*Please cite anything you find! Don't just post an age/date

Thanks to anyone who finds anything!
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
...found it anyway https://sites.google.com/site/genealogycollins/

"i.MARY GABRIELLE COLLINS(Ella) was born on 31 August 1874 in Penderyn (near Aberdare), Wales. She lived in the family homes, Duffryn House and Clearwell Court, and was listed with her mother at 67, Wiltshire Road, Brixton, in 1901. By 1911, she was living in Temple Fortune, Golders Green. She was a writer and journalist; her most notable work was a WW1 poem, entitled ‘Women at Munition Making’. Latterly, the Reverend Mary G. Collins was a minister at the North Bow Congregational Church (522 Old Ford Road, E8), where she resided. She died in 1945 and was cremated at Golders Green Cemetery."

So it actually fits in what I was thinking of saying, if anyone was interested :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads