MorwennaSasha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How is a gorge formed? I'm doing my Geography GCSE and I'm not sure how it is formed! Thanks in advance
Clarinet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MorwennaSasha)
How is a gorge formed? I'm doing my Geography GCSE and I'm not sure how it is formed! Thanks in advance
Gorges are found in the upper course of a river

- Waterfalls form where a river flows over an area of hard rock followed by an area of softer rock.

- The softer rock is eroded more than the hard rock, creating a 'step' in the river.

- As water goes over the step it erodes more and more of the softer rock.

- A steep drop is eventually created, which is called a waterfall.

- The hard rock is eventually undercut by erosion. It becomes unsupported and collapses.

- The collapsed rocks are swirled around at the foot of the waterfall where they erode the softer rock by corrasion. This creates a deep plunge pool.

- Over time, more undercutting causes more collapses. The waterfall will retreat, leaving behind a steep-sided gorge.

Hope this helps
MorwennaSasha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you, it is really helpful!!
fatima123456
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think it is goood but it is missing key things like the processes taking place for exampe when the soft rock erodes it is due to hydraulic action. y'all gotta be specific when it comes to these things man.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed