How is a gorge formed? I'm doing my Geography GCSE and I'm not sure how it is formed! Thanks in advance
- Waterfalls form where a river flows over an area of hard rock followed by an area of softer rock.
- The softer rock is eroded more than the hard rock, creating a 'step' in the river.
- As water goes over the step it erodes more and more of the softer rock.
- A steep drop is eventually created, which is called a waterfall.
- The hard rock is eventually undercut by erosion. It becomes unsupported and collapses.
- The collapsed rocks are swirled around at the foot of the waterfall where they erode the softer rock by corrasion. This creates a deep plunge pool.
- Over time, more undercutting causes more collapses. The waterfall will retreat, leaving behind a steep-sided gorge.
Hope this helps