This discussion is closed.
Le.Bambi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm not sure whether I should mention me volunteering for the last six years in church in case it goes against me in my application for medicine? What do you guys think? :/
DragonBallZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wouldnt think itll go against you. They have to be impartial, peek if it does, seeing as this is supposedly a CHRISTIAN country LOOOOL
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nah it's fine, I mentioned it too last year and it was no problem.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pray to god the person checking it isn't an Atheist activist.
tpxvs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldnt have thought it would, theres lots of extremely religious people on my (medicine) course who are a variety of religions and theyve managed to get in. As long as you focus on the volunteering aspect and not mention any religion views, I dont see the problem as afterall you could be a different religion and volunteering in a place of worship which isnt associated with your own religion.
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd stay away from mentioning it but if you think it helps your application then go for it. But, to be completely honestly, if I was an admissions tutor and I seen the word "church", then I think I would immediately adopt a subconscious negative attitude towards the application. I just think it's a bit risky, like I've been involved in political things but I didn't mention that in case of bias.
Le.Bambi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
LOL yeah that's what I was thinking! XD

(Original post by IbrahimKingx)
Wouldnt think itll go against you. They have to be impartial, peek if it does, seeing as this is supposedly a CHRISTIAN country LOOOOL
Yeah I know... you wouldn't guess in my town. :P

(Original post by Miel Purple)
Nah it's fine, I mentioned it too last year and it was no problem.
Ahh brilliant!! Do you mind if I ask which ones you applied to?

(Original post by tpxvs)
I wouldnt have thought it would, theres lots of extremely religious people on my (medicine) course who are a variety of religions and theyve managed to get in. As long as you focus on the volunteering aspect and not mention any religion views, I dont see the problem as afterall you could be a different religion and volunteering in a place of worship which isnt associated with your own religion.
Yeah I was planning on just talking about the volunteering I was planning on answering the question I think they'll ask me: Do you think religion and science are in conflict? Should I answer the issue or just leave it well alone in my personal statement? :/
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Great logic :rolleyes:

(Original post by Le.Bambi)
I'm not sure whether I should mention me volunteering for the last six years in church in case it goes against me in my application for medicine? What do you guys think? :/
As others have pointed out, it's fine since you're mentioning it in the context of volunteering.
Le.Bambi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dylankj96)
I'd stay away from mentioning it but if you think it helps your application then go for it. But, to be completely honestly, if I was an admissions tutor and I seen the word "church", then I think I would immediately adopt a subconscious negative attitude towards the application. I just think it's a bit risky, like I've been involved in political things but I didn't mention that in case of bias.
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm seriously not like that though and it really upsets me how people can judge me so quickly just because I say I'm a Christian!
EarthlingyThingy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course you should mention it!!! Lol it's something to be immensely proud of; volunteering in general, is.
Le.Bambi
Rep:
?
@Democracy
Thanks! I'll do that then.

Thanks everyone! x
gustavus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd mention in context of volunteering as others have said. What about something like:
"I've worked in the community as a volunteer.. This showed me x, y, z.. "

As you know-no one knows who is going to read your form

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
clover5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I mentioned running sunday school and volunteering with my church and managed to get in so its completely fine!!
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it'd be fine to mention it as it's linked to some valuable volunteering, which isn't the sort of thing you'd want to leave out - but it's the volunteering aspect rather than the religious aspect that you want to focus on. Not that they can discriminate against you on the basis of your religion anyway, but you don't want to waste space talking about your religion where it won't directly benefit your application. Mention the volunteering, briefly explain what it was you did (in layman's terms - avoid any specific religious terminology) and leave it at that.
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You won't get in if it's an atheist checking your personal statement, so I suggest you don't mention it.
la inquieto vita
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not only one person who's going to read your PS and decide whether you're fit for medicine or not, there will be many admissions tutors who will read it and decide. The final decision doesn't depend on just that one non-Christian person.
Many med schools value extra curricular activities and this would count as one such activity, so you should add it in, but ultimately it depends on what sort of volunteering it is and what it entailed.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it would go against your application. It shows long-term commitment, I certainly don't think they'd be allowed to discriminate on religious grounds. I'm sure the admissions tutors know that there are religious doctors.

EDIT: As others have said though, focus on the volunteering aspect of it.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Roger1)
You won't get in if it's an atheist checking your personal statement, so I suggest you don't mention it.
Herp derp.

The religious establishment has form when it comes to discriminating against dissenters and non-theists, not the other way round you genius.
Le.Bambi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Herp derp.

The religious establishment has form when it comes to discriminating against dissenters and non-theists, not the other way round you genius.
I'm sad you feel that way, my church is lovely! It's just some people that spoil it for everyone, like in anything.

Thanks everyone! x
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sad you feel that way, my church is lovely! It's just some people that spoil it for everyone, like in anything.

Thanks everyone! x
I don't harbour any bad feelings towards your church, I just don't like the other user's supposition that atheists would discriminate, based on nothing but the chip on his shoulder
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads