Medium term plan help - History, BA (Hons) Primary Education Watch

ecook
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

this is the first time that I have posted on this forum and I just wanted to ask for some advice. As part of my history elective on my degree we have been asked to produce a medium term plan for history using the new national curriculum. The area that I am focusing on is within key stage 2 and is focusing on the changing power of monarchs over time. The two monarchs that I am using are Elizabeth 1 and Elizabeth 2. The plan is covering a period of 6 weeks.

I wanted the last lesson to involve the children putting across their view as to whether they prefer the power that the monarchy held in the reign of Elizabeth 1 or in the reign of Elizabeth 2 and whether they believe that Elizabeth 2 should keep the power that she has now or if it should change back to those of the first Elizabethan age. I also thought that the children may be able to pick and choose between different powers to create their own combination for our current queen.

The ideas for the last lesson above are just that ideas and need a lot more refining, the reason I am posting however is for some ideas on what to include in the five lessons prior to the one outlined above. I am thinking that my lesson ideas would apply to a year 5 class so they need to be appropriate to that age group. So far I have not got very far apart from writing these rough ideas down for the six lessons.
1.Who is Elizabeth 2?
2.What power does Elizabeth 2 have?
3.Who is Elizabeth 1?
4.What power did Elizabeth 1 have?
5.What is the difference between their powers?
6.Whose power would you prefer and why?

I am not entirely happy with these however and need help in developing and refining my structure and content ideas. I am not looking for the answers just ideas that can get my mind thinking from those that may have more experience in the field. We have also been told that we could look at aspects of life in the two Elizabethan periods to give some more background to the overall topic.

Thank you in advance for any help, it would be most appreciated, thank you.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Think about key events in their periods and how they were involved/ what was their role in the response e.g Elizabeth I- Spanish Armada, Elizabeth II- Well you decide but chances are it was handled by the government

Think about and compare the monarchs power over:
-Land
-Religion/Church
-Government/Key decisions
-Day to Day life of the people

As an addition to asking whether Elizabeth II should have the power of the old monarchs, also ask the question (if answered yes), whether that would be appropriate? or have times changed?
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Something that is often also explored at KS3 (year 7) so just about appropriate for years 5/6 is the appearance of the monarchs
e.g.-:
-clothes (colours and their connotations)
-facial expressions & behaviour
-portrayal in film/paintings

Their portrayal in films would be something worth looking at (Elizabeth I- Elizabeth: The Golden Age) & (Elizabeth II- The Queen), choosing and comparing specific clips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
15.08%
1 (70)
13.89%
2 (65)
12.9%
20.44%
20.24%
5 (88)
17.46%

Watched Threads