The Student Room Group

My parents want me to join this Army Reserve boot camp thingy.

It's like a boot camp for a certain amount of week I go & train somewhere. They think even if I don't end up working in relation to the Army I'll improve my general skills & know how. I'd actually quite like to join but a bit apprehensive, anyone have any knowledge/experience of this? Do you think it would be worthwhile? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
It won't be boy scouts, drill sergaents down your neck every little thing, but you'll meet great people. Just make sure you bring along a bit of bit of banter, give and take, but generally it'll be a great experience, form new friend, start something new
Original post by Multitalented me
It's like a boot camp for a certain amount of week I go & train somewhere. They think even if I don't end up working in relation to the Army I'll improve my general skills & know how. I'd actually quite like to join but a bit apprehensive, anyone have any knowledge/experience of this? Do you think it would be worthwhile? Thanks :smile:

i read this while looking at tinky winky

this was hard to take seriously
I'd imagine it will be based around teamwork exercises and stuff. Certainly a worthwhile skill, but plenty of other ways to get that kind of experience. Depends how old you are I would think. For a GSCE student it would probably be valuable, but if your a final year Uni student there are probably better uses of your time.

With the state of the Army Reserves it will probably be awesome regardless.
Original post by Zeroic
It won't be boy scouts, drill sergaents down your neck every little thing, but you'll meet great people. Just make sure you bring along a bit of bit of banter, give and take, but generally it'll be a great experience, form new friend, start something new
Thanks for your insight :smile:

Original post by cupcakes87
i read this while looking at tinky winky

this was hard to take seriously
Yeah I really love the teletubbies still, lol :rofl: :tongue:

Original post by Fizzel
I'd imagine it will be based around teamwork exercises and stuff. Certainly a worthwhile skill, but plenty of other ways to get that kind of experience. Depends how old you are I would think. For a GSCE student it would probably be valuable, but if your a final year Uni student there are probably better uses of your time.

With the state of the Army Reserves it will probably be awesome regardless.
Fairs, well I was studying at Uni but didn't really like the course so took a gap to rethink my life, my parents think I'm lazy basically & think it'll be the push up the **** that I need.
Original post by Multitalented me
Fairs, well I was studying at Uni but didn't really like the course so took a gap to rethink my life, my parents think I'm lazy basically & think it'll be the push up the **** that I need.
Perhaps it might be good. I still highly doubt it will be the kick up the arse or the NCO's shouting in your face kind of job. The point will be to get people interested in the Army Reserves, not scare the **** out of them and convince them life in the Army will be horrible. Hence why I'd imagine it will be pretty fun. They will probably have a host of cool stuff to do, giving an insight in 'opportunities the army can provide if you join'.
Original post by Fizzel
Perhaps it might be good. I still highly doubt it will be the kick up the arse or the NCO's shouting in your face kind of job. The point will be to get people interested in the Army Reserves, not scare the **** out of them and convince them life in the Army will be horrible. Hence why I'd imagine it will be pretty fun. They will probably have a host of cool stuff to do, giving an insight in 'opportunities the army can provide if you join'.
Ah ok right, I suppose in my current position it might still a worthwhile thing to go on. It'd be nice to meet new people & gain new experiences, although I'm quite old at 22 admittedly.
(edited 10 years ago)
i think the younger you are, the better things like these are
they teach discipline, teamwork, attitude and loads of other stuff
Reply 8
If I understand correctly, this is the 4 week boot camp challenge?

Which is the compressed basic training of the Army Reserve, as in you will actually be joining up to the Army Reserve. If you do not plan to serve in the reserves this is not for you. Since you will be a fully enrolled recruit, you'll then be put on the nominal roll of your local Army Reserve unit to attend drill nights, training weekends and annual camp, After you have completed phase 2 training that is.

That is, if what you are referring to is what I am thinking of.

Have you ever given any thought to joining the Army Reserve previously? Your parents are correct in their argument, but the Army does not want or need people who have no interest in being there. If you are actually interested in joining the Army Reserve, feel free to ask any questions in the Armed Forces section of the forum, or if you like you can PM me.

If you have considered the Reserves would you want to join as a ranker (which is what the challenge is aimed at) or do you have the qualifications/ability/desire to commission to become an officer?

Your first action in real life should be to make a phone call to your local Army Reserve unit, or pop into your local Armed Forces Careers office, where you get a good explanation of all the roles and trades offered to members of the Army reserve as well as someone trained to answer any questions you might have.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cid
If I understand correctly, this is the 4 week boot camp challenge?

Which is the compressed basic training of the Army Reserve, as in you will actually be joining up to the Army Reserve. If you do not plan to serve in the reserves this is not for you. Since you will be a fully enrolled recruit, you'll then be put on the nominal roll of your local Army Reserve unit to attend drill nights, training weekends and annual camp, After you have completed phase 2 training that is.

That is, if what you are referring to is what I am thinking of.

Have you ever given any thought to joining the Army Reserve previously? Your parents are correct in their argument, but the Army does not want or need people who have no interest in being there. If you are actually interested in joining the Army Reserve, feel free to ask any questions in the Armed Forces section of the forum, or if you like you can PM me.

If you have considered the Reserves would you want to join as a ranker (which is what the challenge is aimed at) or do you have the qualifications/ability/desire to commission to become an officer?

Your first action in real life should be to make a phone call to your local Army Reserve unit, or pop into your local Armed Forces Careers office, where you get a good explanation of all the roles and trades offered to members of the Army reserve as well as someone trained to answer any questions you might have.
It might be that, cheers :smile: I'm thinking about popping in at my local army centre tomorrow & having a chat with them for more details & seeing if it's something that's really suitable for me to go on. I don't think I'm cut out for a career in the army tbh. I don't like violence & stuff & look quite small/weak for my age lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Have you heard the Duke of Edinburgh Award..? You might be interested in that? Although there is a age limit.
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Have you heard the Duke of Edinburgh Award..? You might be interested in that? Although there is a age limit.
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm too old at 22 though, I'm currently already doing one personal development course in the form of the Prince's Trust team Programme & have found it fun & kind of want to do another thing like that unless I find a job. I'm also thinking of reapplying to another Uni for September but not sure what course yet :s-smilie:
Join an organisation such as the Red Cross and volunteer lad, got me into role as a charity speaker and through the charity sector I think it offers great progression of real life experience and items for your cv.

Quick Reply

Latest