The Student Room Group

Professions more commonly associated with gay

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WC2011
yes it can be seen but the bigger question is there a 'scientific' reason for this (assuming its ok to suggest this)

Dont know, would imagine there must be unless a very large number of gay men just happen to develop camp personalities with no inherent reason.
oil riggers. they go deep and hard.
Reply 42
Original post by Noble.
No, clearly you don't understand what being gay is actually about. It's got nothing to do with 'how you act' other than the fact you're (sexually) attracted to men. To say camp straight men are just 'imitating' gay men is a contender for one of the most stupid things I've ever read on TSR, and TSR is a pretty dumb place. So I suppose all the gay men I know that aren't remotely camp are just 'imitating' straight people?

campness is jsut an attitude within a social construct, so yes, it is jsut imitating a societal stereotype. no different to a white guy imitating the attitude of a 'black american gangsta'. it just so happens 'campness' was first associated with gay men what part of that dont you get
Reply 43
Original post by Zürich
Dont know, would imagine there must be unless a very large number of gay men just happen to develop camp personalities with no inherent reason.

looking at this from a scientific perspectie id be interested to know what research had been done. i know that the popular asertion is that there is a hormonal causation to sexuality of homosexuals and that people are born gay, rather than learn to be gay, so there is no reason i suppose why there couldnt be some physiological 'markers' beyond jsut behaviour. i looked at this list of 'people you didnt know where gay' and the only link i could see from the pictures of gay men (apart from being well groomed) was they all had thinnish or very thin lips. but that jsut may be coincidence

http://www.hollyscoop.com/galleries/did-you-know-these-20-stars-are-gay
Reply 44
Original post by clh_hilary
The problem with quoting personal examples is that it only reflects your own world. In my world, most of the hairdressers I met don't seem gay.

Considering the aterotype, it's clearly the majority of peoples experience
Original post by Zürich
No, but I think everyone is aware that gay men very often find it easy to strike up friendships with women etc because they have similar personalities.

Absolute ****ing nonsense. I have almost no female friends.

Such stereotypes are more common amongst the less well-off and less well-educated members of society, because they live in ignorance of all the gay lawyers, doctors, academics, civil servants etc.
Original post by geoking
Considering the aterotype, it's clearly the majority of peoples experience

I think you're confusing TV with real life.
Excellent. Another TSR thread designed to reinforce worn stereotypes. It's just the same with all of those men vs. women thread that are constantly popping up. It's depressing that this kind of rubbish is still so prevalent among the young.
Reply 48
what is the purpose of this post exactly
Sometimes I think these topics are only made because some people want to assure themselves that them being straight is the only good thing... It has nothing to do with good or bad and everyone should be and love who he loves.

I think it's just because you normally don't talk with you doctor/lawyer/a politicer about his private life.
I know 4 gays that are into engeneering and IT and only one gay hairdresser. So I guess it's a stereotype...
Reply 50
Original post by MostUncivilised
I think you're confusing TV with real life.

What hair dressing tv shows are there? Stereotypes are always born from truths. It's just a generalisation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by geoking
What hair dressing tv shows are there? Stereotypes are always born from truths. It's just a generalisation.

By "going full retard", you mean pointing out that you're patently and obviously wrong?

All you have is anecdotal evidence. How much life experience do you have? How many gay people do you know? How old are you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
By "going full retard", you mean pointing out that you're patently and obviously wrong?

All you have is anecdotal evidence. How much life experience do you have? How many gay people do you know? How old are you?

Oh and how exactly am I "patently and obviously wrong"? Did you show hard facts or just baseless rejection of a generally held view?

And you have no evidence at all, just scepticism.

You want to argue fallacies and yet you are now turning this into an ad hominem? ****, simple jack ain't got nothin on you bruva.
Original post by geoking

And you have no evidence at all, just scepticism.

I'm not the one who needs evidence, I'm not the one claiming that there are more gay men workers as hairdressers and air stewards. Haven't you heard of falsifiability and the empirical method? Pretty worrying if you're studying human geography. All you have offered thus far is, "It's obvious, everyone knows it".

Given you're probably barely above the age of 20, and haven't worked in a professional environment, I don't think you're particularly well-equipped to be offering opinions on what kinds of jobs people do or don't do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
I'm not the one who needs evidence, I'm not the one claiming that there are more gay men workers as hairdressers and air stewards. Haven't you heard of falsifiability and the empirical method? Pretty worrying if you're studying human geography. All you have offered thus far is, "It's obvious, everyone knows it".

Given you're probably barely above the age of 20, and haven't worked in a professional environment, I don't think you're particularly well-equipped to be offering opinions on what kinds of jobs people do or don't do.

Okay mate, you go off and live in a different world where hairdressers who are male don't tend to be gay. I'll stay firmly on planet earth though. Unless you have a social disorder, I fail to see why you are barking up the tree of denial. Are you one of those philosophy kids who just likes to argue against common sense and the obvious because you feel a need to? Or have you lived a life in which you've never been to a hairdressers/on a plane? Is your gaydar broken or just plain ****?

If you are just going to pretend reality isn't what it is, I don't think you're well equipped for life. :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by WC2011
Certain professions it seems are deemed to include more gay people (men) or certainly stereotypically would be expected feature more gay males ie these would be (in general) -

Singing
Dancing
Theatre
PR
Air steward
Hairdressing
Fashion design
makeup artist

Whats the reason for this, or is there no specific reason?

Well obviously these roles have traditionally been sought after by women. So if a guy wants to be a hairdresser he MIGHT (yes might, not definitely) have a feminine side.... andI don't think I need to school you on the correlation between gay and feminine men, do I?
Original post by geoking
Or have you lived a life in which you've never been to a hairdressers/on a plane? Is your gaydar broken or just plain ****?

Or it could be that I'm gay myself, that none of my friends are hairdressers, they're all civil servants and academics, engineers and lawyers, I was in Australian Army Reserves and I've served an overseas tour (and I knew other gay guys in the army).

I'd bet that I'm probably more stereotypically masculine than you are. That means you must be gay, clearly.
(edited 10 years ago)
priest
vicar
imam
rabbi
Reply 58
Or it could be that I'm gay myself, that none of my friends are hairdressers, they're all civil servants and academics, engineers and lawyers, I was in Australian Army Reserves and I've served an overseas tour (and I knew other gay guys in the army).

I'd bet that I'm probably more stereotypically masculine than you are. That means you must be gay, clearly.

Well put. Not that it was a difficult job, generally the kind of people with a stereotypical attitude towards homosexuality tend to be a bit slow on the uptake.
Original post by Noble.
Well put. Not that it was a difficult job, generally the kind of people with a stereotypical attitude towards homosexuality tend to be a bit slow on the uptake.

PRSOM, mate.

Higher education is not considered stereotypically gay, and yet 10 out of 12 guys in my department at the university I work at are gay. On the other hand, none of the hairdressers around where I live are flamboyant or campy.

These kinds of silly stereotypes usually result from a lack of life experience. The kind of people whose opinions I actually care about have moved on. It is 2014, after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending