The Student Room Group

What are telephone interviews like?

Hi,

I have been offered two telephone interviews from two different companies.

Firstly what are telephone interviews? I have never in my life ever experienced a telephone interview. I have been to panel interviews.

Are telephone interviews easy and when are the best time to set up these interviews? Mornings or afternoons?

Isn't a telephone interview awkward anyway

I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on offer
Reply 1
If you find phonecalls hard you're going to struggle. Suggest practicing calling people.
Reply 2
They're fine if you're an extrovert, but introverts don't deserve jobs anyway so who cares.
Reply 3
Original post by Jjj90
They're fine if you're an extrovert, but introverts don't deserve jobs anyway so who cares.

:s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by james1211
:s-smilie:

I was being sarcastic.

Jut about every job out there requires you to be bold and outgoing and chatty and confident with a great telephone manner and if not you're pretty much screwed. Employment is totally geared towards that type of person; but as this is clearly off topic i'll shut up.
Reply 5
Original post by Jjj90
I was being sarcastic.

Jut about every job out there requires you to be bold and outgoing and chatty and confident with a great telephone manner and if not you're pretty much screwed. Employment is totally geared towards that type of person; but as this is clearly off topic i'll shut up.

Yeah it is pretty off topic actually. Make a thread about it.
Reply 6
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I have been offered two telephone interviews from two different companies.

Firstly what are telephone interviews? I have never in my life ever experienced a telephone interview. I have been to panel interviews.

Are telephone interviews easy and when are the best time to set up these interviews? Mornings or afternoons?

Isn't a telephone interview awkward anyway

I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on offer

I hate them

I have employed a number of people following telephone interviews but still hate them

I have poor aural memory so I make notes during the interview as it helps me focus

I trust and am guided in conversation by body language - this is clearly an issue in telephone interviews

The pause between question and answer - the thinking time can feel far more awkward in a phone interview

I suggest

Practice - get people who are NOT relatives or close friend to call and quiz you

Decide during practice if you want to make notes

Trial with and without speaker

Dress for an interview even though they cannot see you - it will set the scene for you

Ensure you are somewhere private for the call

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending