Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
do you have to do work experience to study radiography at university also what did you guys put in your personal statement for this application.
JammyGit07
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah around 2 days experience is the minimum, and your expected to write about it in your personal statement, which you will be asked about in your interviews, this is what i wrote

"Throughout my placement in my local hospital, I witnessed the diversity of the work radiographers undergo each day. Throughout my visit I was fortunate enough to practice my communication with patients as I was allowed to ask patients to come through from the waiting room as well as see a variety of procedures under the categories of general radiography and nuclear medicine, including the process of measuring and injecting doses of radioisotopes such as Technetium-99m. I also witnessed a cancer patient undergo Radionuclide Angiography which involved using a gamma camera to analyze the left ventricle to make sure its ejection fraction was near 60 percent which would then decide whether medication would then be continued. What impressed me most about the radiographers was how they repeatedly maintained a low dose of radiation while still obtaining high quality images on their first attempt and therefore minimizing the dosage of radiation the patient was exposed to and after a day of shadowing the head of radiation protection, gave me a great understanding of the necessity for minimizing doses where possible as well as the safety procedures carried out when handling radiation."

I had 3 days experience and I'm currently holding 3 offers and 1 interview, with a BBC offer for Exeter.

Hope it helps
Robin55
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All universities for radiography require at least 2 days of some kind of medical/health-care experience. Its really not that difficult to gain a placement at your local hospital or care home, just contact as many people as you can and you'll soon be accepted.

I've just been accepted to shadow a radiographer at my local hospital for a week, although i'm restricted from some areas due to health and safety (with the radiation). Contacted 5 different people about it though 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (55)
28.65%
No (137)
71.35%

Watched Threads