The Student Room Group

Double integrals - area intersected by polar figures

Hi,

I have been trying to follow the working provided in my book to the answer to a question on this topic, and do not quite understand how they have gone about it.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me?

Find the area of the polar figure enclosed by the circle r=2 and the cardiod r=2(1+cosθ) r=2(1+cos\theta)

I made a sketch to visualise the problem, with the shaded part the area sought:

Attachment not found

The first part of the working is what I don't understand:

A=20π222(1+cosθ)rdrdθA = 2\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0\int^{2(1+cos\theta)}_2rdrd\theta

This is much more difficult for me to visualise compared with double integrals involving Cartesian co-ordinates.

I believe the first integral is taking 'slices' from the inner curve(circle) to the outer curve (cartoid), hence the limits of r=2 r=2 and r=2(1+cosθ)r = 2(1+cos\theta).

But I can not understand the upper limit placed on the next integral. Surely it should be π\pi, rather than π2\frac{\pi}{2}...

Actually, the more I think about this, the more it seems to me that the area this line of working gives is that of the unshaded part of the cardoid, but I can't say I understand this well enough to be certain...
Reply 1
Original post by jonnburton
Hi,

I have been trying to follow the working provided in my book to the answer to a question on this topic, and do not quite understand how they have gone about it.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me?

Find the area of the polar figure enclosed by the circle r=2 and the cardiod r=2(1+cosθ) r=2(1+cos\theta)

I made a sketch to visualise the problem, with the shaded part the area sought:

Attachment not found

The first part of the working is what I don't understand:

A=20π222(1+cosθ)rdrdθA = 2\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0\int^{2(1+cos\theta)}_2rdrd\theta

This is much more difficult for me to visualise compared with double integrals involving Cartesian co-ordinates.

I believe the first integral is taking 'slices' from the inner curve(circle) to the outer curve (cartoid), hence the limits of r=2 r=2 and r=2(1+cosθ)r = 2(1+cos\theta).

But I can not understand the upper limit placed on the next integral. Surely it should be π\pi, rather than π2\frac{\pi}{2}...

Actually, the more I think about this, the more it seems to me that the area this line of working gives is that of the unshaded part of the cardoid, but I can't say I understand this well enough to be certain...

I cant see your attachement, so I attach the graphs.
For the half of shaded region 0<=\theta <=\pi/2

From pi/2 tp pi the inner curve is the cardioid and the circle is the outer.
Attachment not found
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ztibor
I cant see your attachement, so I attach the graphs.
For the half of shaded region 0<=\theta <=\pi/2

From pi/2 tp pi the inner curve is the cardioid and the circle is the outer.
Attachment not found

Thanks a lot Ztibor. I'm not sure what happened to my attachment, but it was similar to yours. Only the shaded region was the part of the cardiod which is also part of the circle.

I'm beginning to understand this: with the limits imposed in the solution, the shaded region you showed is the area. I think I misunderstood the wording of the question...

Quick Reply

Latest