Need a bit of advice... Watch

Super199
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I have recently started to work out again. Im 16 and trying to bulk up a bit. The problem is I don't know how to get training effectively. I'm currently 81kg and 5ft 10. I can bench 50kg for about 10 reps but it appears my body just doesn't tone. I'm pretty good when it comes to weights but my body just doesn't appear to be improving at all. My diet isn't the best so can someone recommend on what foods to eat/not eat. Can someone suggest how I can lose a bit of fat but still bulk? Thanks
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can not easily cut fat whilst building muscle.

If you want to gain muscle fastest then bulking is what you want to do. If you want to lose weight then you want to cut. Calculate your TDEE and eat ~ 2-500 calories either side of this figure depending on what you want to do.

Eat 0.8g per lb of bodyweight of protein

As for a routine - checkout Starting Strength or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
mrdetermination
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for me i choose a simple diet as what the people say on here is to much hassle, i just eat allot of protein and food like rice and pasta from time to time. and if you want tone dont bench press go jogging make your ass sweet, as that is what i have done or are you trying be massive and strong or do you want to be lean?
Reps4Jesus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
>>>doesn't understand why he can't 'tone'
>>>says his diet isn't the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
CFL2013
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mrdetermination)
for me i choose a simple diet as what the people say on here is to much hassle, i just eat allot of protein and food like rice and pasta from time to time. and if you want tone dont bench press go jogging make your ass sweet, as that is what i have done or are you trying be massive and strong or do you want to be lean?
Benching will burn fat too, and for much longer than steady state cardio.

OP if your diet is crap you won't 'tone,' simple as that. You body is made of what you put into it, if you put crap in it will look crap.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If your nutrition isn't up to scratch, you'll have a hard time bulking, simple as that. You'd be good on about 3000 calories a day at your size, at a rough ratio of 30: 50: 20 in Protein:Carbs:Fats.

What does your training program look like?
Super199
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by mrdetermination)
(Original post by CFL2013)
Benching will burn fat too, and for much longer than steady state cardio.

OP if your diet is crap you won't 'tone,' simple as that. You body is made of what you put into it, if you put crap in it will look crap.
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
If your nutrition isn't up to scratch, you'll have a hard time bulking, simple as that. You'd be good on about 3000 calories a day at your size, at a rough ratio of 30:50:20 in Protein:Carbs:Fats.

What does your training program look like?
Thanks for the advice guys . I shall definitely be increasing my protein intake over the next couple of months. At the moment I go gym 3 days a week. Thing is I don't have a structured plan on what to do. I just tend to work out everything and finish off with a bit of cardio. Can someone suggest a good routine I should be doing. I've heard carbs are bad how come?
Should I be doing daily cardio to burn of the excess fat or just keep eating and somehow tone up?
CFL2013
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To keep it simple, before the gym police turn up:

Carbs aren't bad, just time them right. Carbs not used as energy will store as fat, so use them around your workouts. Try not to eat too many in the evening. Google GI carbs to try and understand them better.

I personally don't do hard cardio on the same day as weight training. Do 3 x weight sessions and 2 x cardio across five days. It keeps your metabolism higher. You also benefit from the short term fat burn of cardio and longer term fat burn off weight training.

Do compound lifts for you weight training, they burn more fat (multi muscle moves like bench, deadlift, squat etc) than more targeted isolation moves.

Generally, if you eat healthily and exercise frequently, you'll be doing alright.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Super199)
Thanks for the advice guys . I shall definitely be increasing my protein intake over the next couple of months. At the moment I go gym 3 days a week. Thing is I don't have a structured plan on what to do. I just tend to work out everything and finish off with a bit of cardio. Can someone suggest a good routine I should be doing. I've heard carbs are bad how come?
Should I be doing daily cardio to burn of the excess fat or just keep eating and somehow tone up?
Mate - either focus on building mass or burning muscle, if you try to do both you'll just end up getting nowhere. This means eating well and keeping cardio to a minimum if you're looking to bulk first and cut fat later. Please don't listen to people that say carbs are bad or they store as fat. Eating excessive amounts of calories stores fat. Also, processed foods will hinder any weight loss goals, but that's due to sodium and salt causing water retention. Good, clean carbs won't make you fat though, simple as that.

Read this article, plenty of info to get you on your way. I'd say ignore "rule #5 and #10" but the rest of it is pretty solid advice and provides good training routines for someone of your level. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler109.htm
Zshoom
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To keep it simple, before the gym police turn up:

Carbs aren't bad, just time them right. Carbs not used as energy will store as fat, so use them around your workouts. Try not to eat too many in the evening. Google GI carbs to try and understand them better.

I personally don't do hard cardio on the same day as weight training. Do 3 x weight sessions and 2 x cardio across five days. It keeps your metabolism higher. You also benefit from the short term fat burn of cardio and longer term fat burn off weight training.

Do compound lifts for you weight training, they burn more fat (multi muscle moves like bench, deadlift, squat etc) than more targeted isolation moves.

Generally, if you eat healthily and exercise frequently, you'll be doing alright.
Nice bit of broscience
KingGym
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
wants to tone with 50kg bench, not sure if OP is from this planet
sandbags
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

it's time to stop posting
CFL2013
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah here's the police, the one's that offer no other advice of their own and know more than BUPA

Not taking a biology degree I take it?
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah here's the police, the one's that offer no other advice of their own and know more than BUPA

Not taking a biology degree I take it?
Being in positive energy balance results in lipogenesis - nothing new there, but your source says nothing about carb timing, which is the issue that people are taking with what you said. We are not such sensitive organisms that intaking carbohydrate without accompanying it with exercise leads to fat gain. The effects of carb timing on weight gain is pretty irrelevant.
CFL2013
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Being in positive energy balance results in lipogenesis - nothing new there, but your source says nothing about carb timing, which is the issue that people are taking with what you said. We are not such sensitive organisms that intaking carbohydrate without accompanying it with exercise leads to fat gain. The effects of carb timing on weight gain is pretty irrelevant.
So you think going to the gym with no glucose stores and then having a massive bowl of pasta just before you go to bed is the way to go, since timing of carbohydrates doesn't matter?

The OP has asked for simple advice, the stuff I posted is simple advice that is possible to follow easily. I'm sure some 'broscience lol' will come in in a minute and tell him to do a six day split with a paleo diet and thermos or whatever that he would follow for about three days but that's up to him.

That is, if I've understood him right and he wants to reduce body fat and gain lean muscle.
Reps4Jesus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lifting heavy ass weights and eat big, that's all you need to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you think going to the gym with no glucose stores and then having a massive bowl of pasta just before you go to bed is the way to go, since timing of carbohydrates doesn't matter?
No, I don't. What I'm saying is that carb timing doesn't matter wrt to weight loss/gain. Plenty of people train fasted with barely any carbs and swear by intermittent fasting, or swear by carb-depleted diets (my gf is obsessed with UD2), but I feel sluggish if I don't have my carbs before the gym.
Re: glucose stores - they're not going to be depleted going into the gym. If you're having this big bowl of pasta before bed, you're going to have plenty of stored carbohydrate the next day at the gym!

The OP has asked for simple advice, the stuff I posted is simple advice that is possible to follow easily. I'm sure some 'broscience lol' will come in in a minute and tell him to do a six day split with a paleo diet and thermos or whatever that he would follow for about three days but that's up to him.

That is, if I've understood him right and he wants to reduce body fat and gain lean muscle.
I think most of your advice was great, but it's just that one carb-timing bit that people are taking issue with.
CFL2013
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
No, I don't. What I'm saying is that carb timing doesn't matter wrt to weight loss/gain. Plenty of people train fasted with barely any carbs and swear by intermittent fasting, or swear by carb-depleted diets (my gf is obsessed with UD2), but I feel sluggish if I don't have my carbs before the gym.
Re: glucose stores - they're not going to be depleted going into the gym. If you're having this big bowl of pasta before bed, you're going to have plenty of stored carbohydrate the next day at the gym!

I think most of your advice was great, but it's just that one carb-timing bit that people are taking issue with.
Fair enough, at least you've explained your reasoning. I've just put what works for myself and other guys I train with. I don't agree with carb-depleted diets myself, but I do feel (and see) the difference with timing my carbs as I've outlined above. However, I do feel it's each to their own, whatever agrees with and motivates you.

Although I notice you yourself say you feel sluggish if you don't take carbs before the gym, so timing must matter a bit even for yourself, no?
Pegasus2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally don't do hard cardio on the same day as weight training. Do 3 x weight sessions and 2 x cardio across five days. It keeps your metabolism higher.
This contrasts with my routine which involes very intense 30minute cardio and then weights after.

As for diet, I eat anything and everything.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Although I notice you yourself say you feel sluggish if you don't take carbs before the gym, so timing must matter a bit even for yourself, no?
Yes, but note the context: carb-timing doesn't matter for weight gain/loss. Completely different matter altogether!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads