MLS vs. the European Super League, the future of football

Watch
randyymarshh
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Eventually European competition will render domestic football irrelevant and a European Superleague will replace European football.

Meanwhile the MLS will have reached 30 teams allowing it to indisputably join the big five leagues with MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL. Investment will allow clubs to purchase top players and we will have a situation where two leagues dominate the world, American and European.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
A European Super League is a terrible idea for so many reasons, and it won't happen in our lifetime.
KongShou
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No.

This thread is pointless.
randyymarshh
Rep:
(Original post by sr90)
A European Super League is a terrible idea for so many reasons, and it won't happen in our lifetime.
Don't discount it
Straight up G
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Elaborate please?
randyymarshh
Rep:
(Original post by KongShou)
No.

This thread is pointless.
In what way. That's not a very good rebuttal for someone with a Rubik's cube avatar
TRS-T
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
A European super league would render the history and success of the clubs who join it irrelevant.
Olie
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Straight up G)
Elaborate please?
I think it would be better for the OP to elaborate on his theory tbh, I can't see a European Super League happening any time soon, why would it?
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
This. And why is it a terrible idea apart from OP making fanciful unsupported assertions?

1) It'll make the CL irrelevant. Which tbh is already this super league OP is talking of and what you want to do is expand it. If you look at the noises been made, this is what clubs like Barca wants and with little support. The idea of having a super league was used by clubs to threaten UEFA. The now dissolved G-14 group shows this idea has been dropped.

2) The fans don't want it. It'll get rid of all the local derbies that exist NLD, merseyside etc.

3) The clubs don't want the journey. Many look at a CL trip to Eastern Europe with disdain. Look at point 1 again.

4) The clubs won't want the revenue lost from lack of domestic football. Especially the English ones.

5) What works in America WILL NOT work in Europe. Sporting wise, that country is another universe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sr90
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Straight up G)
Elaborate please?
- Deciding who will be eligible is a logistical nightmare. Some places are obvious (United, Liverpool, Madrid, Bayern etc) but how on earth would you handle the others? You can make an argument for historical clubs like Celtic, Marseille and Red Star Belgrade or those that have emerged in recent years like Chelsea, Shakhtar or Monaco.
- How on earth would you handle promotion and relegation?
- It will devalue domestic competitions. Clubs owe their success to these leagues.
- It would instantly kill away support. What if Liverpool are away to say, Spartak Moscow on Saturday then Benfica on the Tuesday? It's not affordable.
- No more derbies. North London derby, Merseyside derby, Madrid derby, Milan derby? Gone.
- Part of the attraction of playing foreign teams is that they're a rarity. Watching your team travel to the far depths of Europe every other week will lose appeal very quickly.
- Loss of revenue for all the teams involved due to a. no money from the domestic leagues, b. changes in the TV rights deals, c. less away support etc etc.

Edit: 419 got there before me on some points, but you get the idea.
KongShou
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by randyymarshh)
In what way. That's not a very good rebuttal for someone with a Rubik's cube avatar
In what way are those two thing related?

This European super league is just about the most stupid thing I've ever heard, not possible at all. How would you get the Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc to join up and form a big league? Their respective FA's hate each other.
randyymarshh
Rep:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...nal-Aysal.html
randyymarshh
Rep:
(Original post by KongShou)
In what way are those two thing related?

This European super league is just about the most stupid thing I've ever heard, not possible at all. How would you get the Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc to join up and form a big league? Their respective FA's hate each other.
(Original post by sr90)
- Deciding who will be eligible is a logistical nightmare. Some places are obvious (United, Liverpool, Madrid, Bayern etc) but how on earth would you handle the others? You can make an argument for historical clubs like Celtic, Marseille and Red Star Belgrade or those that have emerged in recent years like Chelsea, Shakhtar or Monaco.
- How on earth would you handle promotion and relegation?
- It will devalue domestic competitions. Clubs owe their success to these leagues.
- It would instantly kill away support. What if Liverpool are away to say, Spartak Moscow on Saturday then Benfica on the Tuesday? It's not affordable.
- No more derbies. North London derby, Merseyside derby, Madrid derby, Milan derby? Gone.
- Part of the attraction of playing foreign teams is that they're a rarity. Watching your team travel to the far depths of Europe every other week will lose appeal very quickly.
- Loss of revenue for all the teams involved due to a. no money from the domestic leagues, b. changes in the TV rights deals, c. less away support etc etc.

Edit: 419 got there before me on some points, but you get the idea.
(Original post by 419)
This. And why is it a terrible idea apart from OP making fanciful unsupported assertions?

1) It'll make the CL irrelevant. Which tbh is already this super league OP is talking of and what you want to do is expand it. If you look at the noises been made, this is what clubs like Barca wants and with little support. The idea of having a super league was used by clubs to threaten UEFA. The now dissolved G-14 group shows this idea has been dropped.

2) The fans don't want it. It'll get rid of all the local derbies that exist NLD, merseyside etc.

3) The clubs don't want the journey. Many look at a CL trip to Eastern Europe with disdain. Look at point 1 again.

4) The clubs won't want the revenue lost from lack of domestic football. Especially the English ones.

5) What works in America WILL NOT work in Europe. Sporting wise, that country is another universe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Olie)
I think it would be better for the OP to elaborate on his theory tbh, I can't see a European Super League happening any time soon, why would it?
(Original post by TRS-T)
A European super league would render the history and success of the clubs who join it irrelevant.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...nal-Aysal.html
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Just a crazy Turk talking out of his head. Did you read the last paragraph. Look at the history of G-14. This always resurfaces every few years and he's saying it so that his club gets more prize money. Uefa don't want it- you've got a president that's insistent on reducing the clout the big clubs have in football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sr90
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I remember reading a similar article... ten years ago.
randyymarshh
Rep:
I don't want this to happen. I just fear it
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think it's a brilliant idea (a European super league).

I would have the Europen league play once every 4 years. The other 3 years we'd have the normal domestic league + champions league.

In the 4th year, there would be a bigger domestic trophy (ala CL format) and then a European Super League which would be made up of the teams who had, on average, been top of the domestic leagues. You would put together two tiers of the European league. So 36-40 teams would play in the tiers (18 or 20 per tier) European Super League for that year.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Even the CL group stage is dead most of the time, **** having to do that over 10 months

CL is fine as it is, best competition on Earth
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
I think it's a brilliant idea (a European super league).

I would have the Europen league play once every 4 years. The other 3 years we'd have the normal domestic league + champions league.

In the 4th year, there would be a bigger domestic trophy (ala CL format) and then a European Super League which would be made up of the teams who had, on average, been top of the domestic leagues. You would put together two tiers of the European league. So 36-40 teams would play in the tiers (18 or 20 per tier) European Super League for that year.
So much holes in this plan. One been how it ****s up the domestic leagues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 419)
So much holes in this plan. One been how it ****s up the domestic leagues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure it could be worked around and fixed.

Frankly I'd rather see the best 20 clubs in Europe play each other for one full season than not. The CL is good but it doesn't always show who the best team in the competition is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (3)
21.43%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (0)
0%
Finding the time to revise (4)
28.57%
Finding the motivation (2)
14.29%
Getting distracted (1)
7.14%
Procrastination (4)
28.57%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed