The Student Room Group

Do girls laugh even if the guy's boring?

Just curious.

I'm academically highly motivated and to be honest, I'm not really a funny guy. When I make a joke, some laugh, but some don't. Put it this way: I'm not the class clown.

I also used to talk only about academics and no small talk whatsoever. So I'm quite sure my friends don't really see me as a 'funny' guy.

But there is this girl who showed me a lot of interest, we talked a lot and went out for dinner last Saturday for the first time. I think it went great, she was very talkative, she laughed and I think we had a great time. We're talking a lot since, and I think it's a good sign.

I'm not necessarily worried about our direction at the moment, but I'm just wondering what might actually be going through her mind, because as I said before, I am never really good with joking, yet she laughed quite often during the date.

Does this mean that she's laughing although it's not funny because she's interested in me, or could it be that she found it actually funny? I guess from what I told you above, it's hard to judge, but the real question is, does this matter a lot in a relationship?

If she laughed, no matter which of the two reasons it was, is that a good sign? Or if she fake-laughed due to her current interest in me can it also be a bad sign?

I don't know if you'll understand my question tbh, but any opinion that is even remotely related to this topic is always welcomed, so please feel free to share your opinion!

EDIT: I'm 17 and she's 15 btw.
Reply 1
Original post by UNM
Just curious.

I'm academically highly motivated and to be honest, I'm not really a funny guy. When I make a joke, some laugh, but some don't. Put it this way: I'm not the class clown.

I also used to talk only about academics and no small talk whatsoever. So I'm quite sure my friends don't really see me as a 'funny' guy.

But there is this girl who showed me a lot of interest, we talked a lot and went out for dinner last Saturday for the first time. I think it went great, she was very talkative, she laughed and I think we had a great time. We're talking a lot since, and I think it's a good sign.

I'm not necessarily worried about our direction at the moment, but I'm just wondering what might actually be going through her mind, because as I said before, I am never really good with joking, yet she laughed quite often during the date.

Does this mean that she's laughing although it's not funny because she's interested in me, or could it be that she found it actually funny? I guess from what I told you above, it's hard to judge, but the real question is, does this matter a lot in a relationship?

If she laughed, no matter which of the two reasons it was, is that a good sign? Or if she fake-laughed due to her current interest in me can it also be a bad sign?

I don't know if you'll understand my question tbh, but any opinion that is even remotely related to this topic is always welcomed, so please feel free to share your opinion!

EDIT: I'm 17 and she's 15 btw.

I say forget about it.

Keep it going, and obviously if it doesn't work out, then that may be attributed to your lack of comedy, which is contingent on whether she thinks being funny is a necessary pre-condition for a successful relationship.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
yes i have seen girls laugh when something is not funny or a bad joke is told

they do it because

1- they are being polite
2- they like the guy
3- trying to fit in
Reply 3
UNM
OP
Original post by tehforum
I say forgot about it.

Keep it going, and obviously if it doesn't work out, then that may be attributed to your lack of comedy, which is contingent on whether she thinks being funny is a necessary pre-condition for a successful relationship.

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly, I don't think being funny with her is a problem at all. But I was just wondering how it would work with other girls in general.

There's another girl just casual friend in school who gave me a very casual valentine's day card (no interest in me involved. I could see it was written in like a minute and she gave it to several guys it's just being nice of her) And she also kinda laughs when I make a joke, and in the card she told me that she's thankful for my presence (?) and humour, so I'm wondering again if I'm actually not bad with joking and stuff :s-smilie:

I'm very self concious about being funny and it's bothering me quite a bit. Now that I'm actually thinking about it while writing this down here, I don't think I'm really a boring person (although I'm not the class clown either), but it's still making me wonder nonetheless..

I don't know what I'm talking about, do I :s-smilie:
Reply 4
UNM
OP
Original post by Padwas
yes i have seen girls laugh when something is not funny or a bad joke is told

they do it because

1- they are being polite
2- they like the guy
3- trying to fit in

Since the date was 1:1, it's not 3, but I think it might be both 1,2. But then again, we're talking a lot since, so I don't think she lost her interest in me. Is this a good sign?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Laughing is a natural response, some people just laugh more easily than others, some people laugh more in specific situations. It seems like she is laughing genuinely, so even if what you said is only a little bit funny and she doesn't find you really hilarious, it means she is happy spending time with you. I think it's a good sign. Maybe someone subconsciously laughs more around others when they like them, it is their way of getting across that they appreciate what you're saying and feel a connection with you that they would like to continue.

The girl who sent lots of valentines, it's not like she fancies you, because she sent them to lots of people. But it seems like she's being sweet and she wanted some people to know that she likes them as a person and thinks she is happier for knowing them.
Reply 6
Pretending to find something funny is less awkward then sitting there deadpan.
Reply 7
UNM
OP
Original post by Orthonym
Laughing is a natural response, some people just laugh more easily than others, some people laugh more in specific situations. It seems like she is laughing genuinely, so even if what you said is only a little bit funny and she doesn't find you really hilarious, it means she is happy spending time with you. I think it's a good sign. Maybe someone subconsciously laughs more around others when they like them, it is their way of getting across that they appreciate what you're saying and feel a connection with you that they would like to continue.

The girl who sent lots of valentines, it's not like she fancies you, because she sent them to lots of people. But it seems like she's being sweet and she wanted some people to know that she likes them as a person and thinks she is happier for knowing them.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad to hear your opinion on 'her laughs' sounds weird :s-smilie:

Oh and the other girl who sent me the card I know she isn't particularly interested in me :smile: she has a bf. It was just her being nice to me :smile:

Thanks!
I find it really hard to fake laugh :redface:
Erm... I will laugh if what was said was genuinely hilarious but I will fake laugh if I like him or to get rid of any awkwardness
Original post by De Chirico
Pretending to find something funny is less awkward then sitting there deadpan.
Sitting there deadpan is hilarious though.
Well I like to think most girls work the same way I do- if you're not funny, I won't laugh. I might crack a half hearted smile to be nice but I don't laugh unless something is genuinely really funny.
Reply 12
UNM
OP
Original post by Maid Marian
I find it really hard to fake laugh :redface:

haha great thanks!

Original post by MidnightDream
Erm... I will laugh if what was said was genuinely hilarious but I will fake laugh if I like him or to get rid of any awkwardness

It wasn't awkward between us, so I hope she was genuine :smile:!

Original post by EllieC130
Well I like to think most girls work the same way I do- if you're not funny, I won't laugh. I might crack a half hearted smile to be nice but I don't laugh unless something is genuinely really funny.

that's great :smile: thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending