king101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys so I’m kind of confused on the subject of nutrients and minerals and plants.

I understand what a nutrient is i.e. substances that are essential for living organisms and minerals is one of those nutrients

BUT what constitutes whats a mineral or not? Like oxygen/nitrates is a nutrient but what specific thing is a mineral and how do we know?

Okay next is photosynthesis and plants growth. How?

I just don’t understand: if plants photosynthesis more=greater amounts of glucose and cells use this for respiration=energy carrying molecule ATP which is used for active transport of ions into xylem WHICH brings about the osmotic movement of water from the endodermis into the xylem and hence it is essentially due to the photosynthesis that brings about movement of water this. As a result water with dissolved mineral ions such as nitrates can move into plant cells and lead to formation of protein/DNA that allows plant to grow taller increasing its productivity. This is since water continually moving up plant as a result of maintaining osmotic gradient via active transport due to photosynthesis hence allowing for a transpiration pull and continues supply of dissolved mineral ions into plant cells that allow the plant to grow.

can someone let me know if this understanding is right?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.82%
No (313)
70.18%

Watched Threads