The Student Room Group

Life is easier when you're pretty

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by WC2011
not in all careers, in intellectual and executive roles, the need is to prove you have the brains and talent beyond the superficial- good for a modeling job, not great for a CEO

The idea that modelling is the only job that requires good looks is pretty bizarre.

Let's face it - there are plenty of women who can type, make phone calls and do a bit of Excel - so why is it that a non-graduate PA can earn £35k easily in London? Ones with a few years experience and good references can do £50k. An essential ingredient in this is being extremely well presented - and being naturally gawjus helps.

Similarly, working in advertising or PR requires meeting people and talking to them at length - and not about dry academia - and everyone would prefer to be given the hard sell by someone good looking. It's a personal quality like any other.
Reply 21
Original post by spiral87
I was born screaming my face off and made goo goo ga ga noises for the first few years of my life. I worked hard from the age of 2 onwards to change that. And this is the issue, an uneducated person can always learn. Someone without substance can strive to grow. A physically unattractive person is stuck with the body they have. I'd rather be judged on my academia than my ability to apply foundation and eyeliner.

Incompetence isn't down to a lack of intelligence, but a lack of common sense. These days, people are utterly stupid.

I'm confused as to what you are saying

are you good looking yourself?

are you saying you're glad of this fact?

are you saying 'anyone can be pretty like me if they make more effort'?

why are you speaking as if you're female (references to applying makeup)
when your symbol is male?
(edited 10 years ago)
I was born screaming my face off and made goo goo ga ga noises for the first few years of my life. I worked hard from the age of 2 onwards to change that. And this is the issue, an uneducated person can always learn. Someone without substance can strive to grow. A physically unattractive person is stuck with the body they have. I'd rather be judged on my academia than my ability to apply foundation and eyeliner.

Incompetence isn't down to a lack of intelligence, but a lack of common sense. These days, people are utterly stupid.

Most "unattractive" people just have bad hair, bad style, bad skin and are overweight. Those things can be changed
Reply 23
Original post by Clip
The idea that modelling is the only job that requires good looks is pretty bizarre.

Let's face it - there are plenty of women who can type, make phone calls and do a bit of Excel - so why is it that a non-graduate PA can earn £35k easily in London? Ones with a few years experience and good references can do £50k. An essential ingredient in this is being extremely well presented - and being naturally gawjus helps.

Similarly, working in advertising or PR requires meeting people and talking to them at length - and not about dry academia - and everyone would prefer to be given the hard sell by someone good looking. It's a personal quality like any other.

i have no idea what a pa first job is, but i doubt its 35 k, even so 35k in london isnt really a huge amount, its less than average. if a pa is in a job long enough to earn 50k, her looks would have probably shrivelled in age to llook like a dried prune anyway. take a look at the highest earning executives in finance, sales , commerce in general we are taking 6 and 7 figures, none of them are supermodels
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24

This is a really, really terriible attitude to have, and belies a real arrogance. So many people do this and lash out because they fancy the idea that their particular circumstances mean that they have fought against all odds to succeed. The idea that your personal odyssey started from the age of 2 is just a jejune statement of your own inferiority complex.

It's not reality. It's your own construction. If you want to carry on telling the world how hard you've worked - go ahead; but ask this - if it's so easy to put make up on - and you're so clever - surely the rational (and clever) thing to do....is to present yourself well.
Reply 25
Original post by WC2011
i have no idea what a pa first job is, but i doubt its 35 k, even so 35k in london isnt really a huge amount, its less than average. if a pa is in a job long enough to earn 50k, her looks would have probably shrivelled in age to llook like a dried prune anyway. take a look at the highest earning executives in finance, sales , commerce in general, none of them are supermodels

This is just spiteful lashing out at a job market that you completely fail to understand. Take appearances out of things, and the world would be a very grim and desperate place indeed.

A first job for a PA isn't going to be anything like that - but bear in mind that these are non-graduates, often starting much earlier -building up a considerable total over the graduates in terms of cumulative earnings.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Most "unattractive" people just have bad hair, bad style, bad skin and are overweight. Those things can be changed

To an extent. But if a man has a weak jaw, receding hairline, big nose, crooked teeth and is short, then all the fashion tips in the world won't be able to help him.
Original post by aeon439
Totally agree but the playing field evens out a lot more as people get older
and lose their looks

Pretty people have more to fear from the aging process than those who are plain/ugly

Perhaps, but the aging process can be much uglier for some than others. Take hair loss, for example. That's fairly independent of how good-looking you are to begin with.
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
To an extent. But if a man has a weak jaw, receding hairline, big nose, crooked teeth and is short, then all the fashion tips in the world won't be able to help him.

Discreet contouring can help correct the nose and jaw, braces can correct the teeth, there are treatments for hairloss
Reply 29
Original post by Clip
This is just spiteful lashing out at a job market that you completely fail to understand. Take appearances out of things, and the world would be a very grim and desperate place indeed.

i have nothing against attractive people, i am one. im just syaing that the highrest earners i have witnessed, in all non media professions, and indeed the smartest academically, all were fairly ordinary looking, bordering on unnatractive. the men were confident and balsey, but not george clooney lookalikes
Reply 30
Original post by xMr_BrightSide

to elaborate on my above post, you have prob described half the fortune 500 men. women are judged far heavier on their looks than men, and ugliness or looks is no barrier for men to reach the top earning levels. for women, if they are attractive, you get the impression their intelligence is over looked
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Clip
That really is wishful thinking. If you can find sites of law firms who publish pictures of their new trainees - they are very rarely any ugs amongst them.

I think in general, in the real world you'll find the opposite is true. Ugly, overqualified people with chips on their shoulders are ten a penny. Good-looking people aren't. A lot of people recognise good-looks as a marketable quality in its own right. And why not?

Yep, better to have a pretty customer service person than an ugly one, in all jobs that require presentation looks are obivous going to be a factor. Just look at the halo effect.
Reply 32
Original post by aeon439
I'm confused as to what you are saying

are you good looking yourself?

are you saying you're glad of this fact?

are you saying 'anyone can be pretty like me if they make more effort'?

Well, I was hideously unattractive as a teenager and bullied viciously for it, so I tried to become an amazing person instead. It made no difference to others' impression or respect for me. I remember one night me and my two best friends went out to the local, which we rarely did, and three random girls joined us. They were far more interested in my good looking friend's job of 'packing boxes in a factory' than my 'I run my own business'. They didn't care because I was ugly. I did what I did for myself, but I think I deserved to be rewarded for the amount of effort I put into enriching my life.

I couldn't assign myself a current #/10, but I'm much better looking than I was then because I ended up having cosmetic surgery and completely revising my appearance. Being pretty means you can stand in a corner and people will flock around you like sheep. I spent so long in the ugly camp, I'll never discount someone for their looks or appearance and I'll always make friends with the clear outsider of the group. I wish more people would do that.
Reply 33
Original post by Clip

My mum never went to university and earns £60k in London (plus bonuses) as a PA. I'm 99% sure she's not that good at Excel. *sulks*
It goes without saying. I have neither beauty nor intelligence and so far life has not been kind. I have had the bad fortune of inheriting my fathers genes. No one wants a girl who looks like her dad. And with lower than average intelligence i dont stand a change of a decent job, my own property, marriage, etc. What most people can expect of life are just dreams for me.
Discreet contouring can help correct the nose and jaw, braces can correct the teeth, there are treatments for hairloss

Okay, so basically a complete facial reconstruction, which is hugely expensive and time-consuming...

My point is that, for men in particular, attractiveness is something you have or don't. It's not as changeable as you want to make out. I mean in all honesty, you know there are some people who are just ugly. Those with far apart eyes, prominent brows, bulging foreheads, huge ears, gargantuan noses, curved shoulders, non-existent chins. Without completely changing their appearance into some plastic faced thing which barely resembles the prior person, and at ridiculous cost and stress, they are stuck with their ugliness.

They can change it to an extent through fashion or hygiene or whatever, but sometimes you just have to accept the vile expression - 'You can't polish a turd.'
Reply 36
Original post by Катя
My mum never went to university and earns £60k in London (plus bonuses) as a PA. I'm 99% sure she's not that good at Excel. *sulks*

Well, all power to her.

The problem is that TSR is an educational meritocracy, where people believe that non-graduates should not be allowed to succeed. At anything.
Reply 37
Well, I was hideously unattractive as a teenager and bullied viciously for it, so I tried to become an amazing person instead. It made no difference to others' impression or respect for me. I remember one night me and my two best friends went out to the local, which we rarely did, and three random girls joined us. They were far more interested in my good looking friend's job of 'packing boxes in a factory' than my 'I run my own business'. They didn't care because I was ugly. I did what I did for myself, but I think I deserved to be rewarded for the amount of effort I put into enriching my life.

I couldn't assign myself a current #/10, but I'm much better looking than I was then because I ended up having cosmetic surgery and completely revising my appearance. Being pretty means you can stand in a corner and people will flock around you like sheep. I spent so long in the ugly camp, I'll never discount someone for their looks or appearance and I'll always make friends with the clear outsider of the group. I wish more people would do that.

Ok I understand now

I was going to say, you look very nice in your photo but it's a pity you felt the need to go down the plastic surgery route in order to gain respect/attention

I'm not a looker myself and have had my fair share of **** over it but I see the plastic surgery route as surrender to the bullies, plus making the playing field that bit harder for the people who don't have surgery

I think having Aspergers has saved me as I don't want to be like the 'normals' full stop so I've not wanted to join the club in the first place

A load of people finding me pretty would still be a load of people I didn't relate to or want to talk to, so it's a bit meaningless
Yup
Reply 39

Things men are not likely to change. And I know a few women who don't have the confidence to work on their appearance either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending