The Student Room Group

How does an accountant's job look like in UK?

Hello,

I am currently working as an accountant in Czech Republic. Accountant's work in here is mainly keeping books by entering data from tons of invoices received from clients (generally at the end of the month) to a specific computer program. Due to many regulations, keeping books is quite difficult and most of companies (even small ones) use services of accounting office.

I've heard that in UK small companies are not so strictly regulated and they don't need help of any office and most of the clients are limited companies. Even so, is accountant's job mainly entering data from invoices, or maybe advising / looking for tax lowering ooportunities etc? Is it more of a demanding job?

Thanks for any replies. As you may figure out, I am considering applying for job in office, but I am not sure if I should even bother anyone with my no-qualification-or-accounting-courses resume.

Thanks,
Paul
Reply 1
Accountant can mean all kinds of things but none of the roles over and above basic ledger work is open to unqualified candidates. However, if you're happy to start at the very bottom and show a willingness to qualify then the experience you have to date should hold you in good stead.
Reply 2
I think you're confusing book keeping with accounting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending