The Student Room Group

How do I block things out?

This would be a valuable skill for me to learn. I am consumed with stuff and can't concentrate. I just need to get into exam mode and stop feeling sorry for myself but it's so hard :frown:
Reply 1
try mindfulness meditation and regular vigorous exercise...also use your mind to change the way you think...this has helped me more than anything else I've ever done in my life including being on meds for ADHD....more because it's a permanent change and has nothing but absolutely positive side effects. Remember with meditation it's all abut your focus and getting good at calming your mind and pulling yourself back in from a distraction, it's not just about sitting eyes closed legs crossed and chanting :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by johnh1983
try mindfulness meditation and regular vigorous exercise...also use your mind to change the way you think...this has helped me more than anything else I've ever done in my life including being on meds for ADHD....more because it's a permanent change and has nothing but absolutely positive side effects. Remember with meditation it's all abut your focus and getting good at calming your mind and pulling yourself back in from a distraction, it's not just about sitting eyes closed legs crossed and chanting :smile:

I've actually heard a lot about mindfulness meditation. I'm curious! x
Reply 3
Original post by iamintorture
I've actually heard a lot about mindfulness meditation. I'm curious! x

The wiki on it is actually not bad ^_^ What I do is I really just spend 5 minutes in the shower staring at a fixed spot and just focusing on my breathing I take deliberately large breaths and focuses solely on that. If my mind is distracted or I direct my attention else where I slowly bring my thoughts back to that. You can obviously get far more elaborate with it but this really helps! Don't forget to exercise. We really live in a words which can have a lot of stress some is perceived stress some is actually things which you should stress about. But, the point is, stress is essentially anxiety and similar to fear and this triggers a fight/flight which gets you tense and makes you less relaxed and more hyper aware in essence.

As an example of this, if you go to kill a goat or a cow and it knows you're going to do this it literally makes the meat tougher and gives it a sour taste. The reason for this is adrenaline, it's getting ready to run for it's life. The more primitive parts of your mind haven't got a clue about grid lock or making it to class on time so the higher order minds responds in a way to trigger this "amped" effect.

So you're body is producing this and if you don't burn it off (exercising burns this off) you'll be frazzled all the time! It's actually very scientific if you look into it. As another benefit of exercise you'll be healthier and feel better and you'll also get more endorphin while exercising. :smile: Changing your thoughts to things learning not to get stressed over petty things and being positive and not have a negative inner dialogue will also help immensely!

Good luck to you!

Edit: Don't forget to get a good amount of rest and also change your diet, sugars and foods that are highly processed will give you a huuge buzz and then follow it up with a giant crash. If you eat right for a few weeks and get over the hump you'll actually begin to dislike the taste of junky processed foods!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by johnh1983
The wiki on it is actually not bad ^_^ What I do is I really just spend 5 minutes in the shower staring at a fixed spot and just focusing on my breathing I take deliberately large breaths and focuses solely on that. If my mind is distracted or I direct my attention else where I slowly bring my thoughts back to that. You can obviously get far more elaborate with it but this really helps! Don't forget to exercise. We really live in a words which can have a lot of stress some is perceived stress some is actually things which you should stress about. But, the point is, stress is essentially anxiety and similar to fear and this triggers a fight/flight which gets you tense and makes you less relaxed and more hyper aware in essence.

As an example of this, if you go to kill a goat or a cow and it knows you're going to do this it literally makes the meat tougher and gives it a sour taste. The reason for this is adrenaline, it's getting ready to run for it's life. The more primitive parts of your mind haven't got a clue about grid lock or making it to class on time so the higher order minds responds in a way to trigger this "amped" effect.

So you're body is producing this and if you don't burn it off (exercising burns this off) you'll be frazzled all the time! It's actually very scientific if you look into it. As another benefit of exercise you'll be healthier and feel better and you'll also get more endorphin while exercising. :smile: Changing your thoughts to things learning not to get stressed over petty things and being positive and not have a negative inner dialogue will also help immensely!

Good luck to you!
I'm

Edit: Don't forget to get a good amount of rest and also change your diet, sugars and foods that are highly processed will give you a huuge buzz and then follow it up with a giant crash. If you eat right for a few weeks and get over the hump you'll actually begin to dislike the taste of junky processed foods!

Thanks this is so helpful. Will try doing that in the shower. Also
Even though I'm thin I eat a ridiculous amount of choc and crisps and junk..I also sleep late and wake up late so that may not help either. Thank u x

Quick Reply