The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A couple straight friends from school are now apprentice hairdressers and the guy who cuts my hair is definitely straight.

You seem pretty obsessed with gay people today, you alright? :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Flauta
A couple straight friends from school are now apprentice hairdressers and the guy who cuts my hair is definitely straight.

How do you know if you don't mind me asking? :redface: Also, sorry if this is a stupid question but if a guy looks uber feminine is he probably gay?

My other thread was re: equality and religion, I'm tired of seeing prejudiced posts on the Religion forum (straight ally checking in :yep:)
Reply 3
Yes, it's a well-known fact that males only obtain hair cutting abilities following a man-on-man kiss.
/sarcasm

What is this question even. :lolwut:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Aivicore
Yes, it's a well-known fact that males only obtain hair cutting abilities following a man-on-man kiss.
/sarcasm

What is this question even. :lolwut:

Did you read the OP? There's a reason I'm asking this lol, title may be a little badly worded :colondollar:
Reply 5
I guess the straight ones are called barbers
Reply 6
Original post by Alpha brah
How do you know if you don't mind me asking? :redface: Also, sorry if this is a stupid question but if a guy looks uber feminine is he probably gay?

My other thread was re: equality and religion, I'm tired of seeing prejudiced posts on the Religion forum (straight ally checking in :yep:)

Because he talks about his wife :rolleyes: I don't have some super magic gaydar lol (eurgh I wish I did though). I'd say it depends to be honest, a few more feminine gays do have that kind of lispy/lilty quality to their voice, it's hard to tell from appearance alone though.

Yay :love:
Reply 7
x

Yeah, but I don't want to just ask him out because I've asked out guys who were gay (and I didn't know) before and then it was really awkward for them explaining? I don't want people to feel awkward about that sort of thing if you see what I mean :smile: I'm not trying to stereotype people myself, I'm asking if there's any truth in the stereotypes. I don't look at a guy who's really feminine and then think "oh, they're gay."
Reply 8
Original post by Flauta
Because he talks about his wife :rolleyes: I don't have some super magic gaydar lol (eurgh I wish I did though). I'd say it depends to be honest, a few more feminine gays do have that kind of lispy/lilty quality to their voice, it's hard to tell from appearance alone though.

Yay :love:

Well, you didn't mention that :tongue: So if a guy's voice is more "soft" he's probably gay? (Again, I don't mean to stereotype, just really like this guy and not sure what to do lol).

I doubt I'm gonna convince any of the hardcore people on there that being gay is NOT comparable to necrophilia or other **** they bring up :rolleyes:. Worth a shot, though.
Original post by Flauta

I thought that too, I wonder why...:wink:
Reply 10
Did you read the OP? There's a reason I'm asking this lol, title may be a little badly worded :colondollar:

I did read it. Why don't you just ask the guy, or ask his colleagues when he's busy?

It seems incongruous to call yourself an "ally" then ask for a list of stereotypes to help you weed out the gays, 's alls I'm sayin'.
Reply 11
I did read it. Why don't you just ask the guy, or ask his colleagues when he's busy?

It seems incongruous to call yourself an "ally" then ask for a list of stereotypes to help you weed out the gays, 's alls I'm sayin'.

I wasn't asking for a "list of stereotypes," please see my reply above. I don't want to make him feel awkward like I have accidentally done before to people. And asking his colleagues would make me seem weird. :lolwut:

I wouldn't give a damn about his sexual orientation if I didn't fancy him lol...
Reply 12
Original post by nase14_aldayz
I thought that too, I wonder why...:wink:

Other fred is unrelated lel
Reply 13
Well, you didn't mention that :tongue: So if a guy's voice is more "soft" he's probably gay? (Again, I don't mean to stereotype, just really like this guy and not sure what to do lol).

I doubt I'm gonna convince any of the hardcore people on there that being gay is NOT comparable to necrophilia or other **** they bring up :rolleyes:. Worth a shot, though.

I'm sorry, I just thought you might accept it rather than suggest I had a thing with my barber! :tongue: Typically yeah, not sure if this is wide spread too but a few gay people I've met before speak with a high rising terminal whereas I've never really heard straight people talking with one. Have to remember that it's not all gay people, it's quite a small amount, most gay people you wouldn't realise talking to them.

I know :/ it's nice to see some positive replies though!
Reply 14
More likely just not very intelligent.
Reply 15
My Cousin is a hairdresser in spain and is married to a Brazilian model and has a kid.

Not gay.
Reply 16
I wasn't asking for a "list of stereotypes," please see my reply above. I don't want to make him feel awkward like I have accidentally done before to people. And asking his colleagues would make me seem weird. :lolwut:

I wouldn't give a damn about his sexual orientation if I didn't fancy him lol...

Asking "how to tell if a person is gay" (without them explicitly telling you, or talking about relationships with members of the same sex) sounds an awful lot like stereotyping to me.

You're just going to be guessing and working off clichés unless you ask.
Reply 17
Original post by Flauta
I'm sorry, I just thought you might accept it rather than suggest I had a thing with my barber! :tongue: Typically yeah, not sure if this is wide spread too but a few gay people I've met before speak with a high rising terminal whereas I've never really heard straight people talking with one. Have to remember that it's not all gay people, it's quite a small amount, most gay people you wouldn't realise talking to them.

I know :/ it's nice to see some positive replies though!

Oh right, I wasn't suggesting you had a thing with him sorry, I thought you could just "tell" and I was wondering how :tongue: Ah, OK, that makes sense.

Yeah :smile: I'm not sure who's worth responding to re: the negative replies but I'll try to engage some of them in a productive debate :/
Reply 18

No, not all hairdressers are gay, why would they be? The same goes for the second question also: I'm sure there are very unfeminine guys who are gay, you're just stereotyping.
Reply 19
Asking "how to tell if a person is gay" (without them explicitly telling you, or talking about relationships with members of the same sex) sounds an awful lot like stereotyping to me.

You're just going to be guessing and working off clichés unless you ask.

But the alternatives to trying to tell for myself are (1) asking him out (which could be really awkward for him) or (2) asking him directly if he's gay (quite rude I think?) or (3) forgetting about him... which I suppose I could do but I do quite fancy him :tongue:

Latest