The Student Room Group

Employer threatening to remove reference but I have an unconditional offer. Help!?

Basically, I have an unconditional offer from my first choice uni.
My employer wrote my reference for my UCAS

Over the past few months I've had to take a lot of time off work thanks to depression pretty much ruining my life and making it very difficult to leave the house or even contact my work some days.
My employer is now saying that I'm taking the piss and putting his professional reputation on the line (Ive made him fully aware of my mental health problems) and is threatening to phone the university tomorrow and retract the reference.

What I want to know is:
Is it possible to retract a reference at this stage?
Can my offer change if it is already unconditional?
Is there anything I can do to help my situation?

As I'm sure you can imagine the stress of this is taking a toll on my mental health and I'd really appreciate any sort of help or knowledge you can offer.
It isn't possible to retract a reference but he would be able to contact the university concerned.

*However* most universities wouldn't listen to an unsolicited phone call from someone claiming to be a referee. And even those who would listen (or would arrange to get the feedback by email) are unlikely to then withdraw your offer on the basis of it.

If you're having trouble with depression though I would recommend contacting your uni and
a) explaining the situation (it sounds better if you explain it rather than them getting an angry phone call from your boss - they're more likely to ignore the phone call if you get in first :smile:).
and
b) talking about support for depression and stress once you start your course - as an unconditional student they may be willing to put you in contact with support services (eg counselling services, nightline or similar) or staff (eg your future personal tutor) now to help you settle in to uni life and make sure your mental health doesn't prevent you from making the most of uni.

TL/DR: While it is possible for a uni to withdraw an offer they're very unlikely to do so in your case - especially if you get in touch with them to explain the situation first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending