Fed up of being single, want to meet new people at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm not necessarily looking for a long term commitment/relationship but it'd be nice to meet some new people/guys if that makes sense. I have a lovely group of friends but it's 90% girls and although we do go out clubbing obviously you don't properly 'meet' new people that way. No one else seems to be really interested in meeting people and integrating which is a shame.

So, I never thought I'd have this problem but I'm at uni and have no idea how to meet people. I thought about joining societies but isn't that a bit weird just having the intention of making new friends and stuff? There are a few things I'd like to try (writing for the uni paper) but I don't know if I'm confident enough in my ability to do it or not?!

Any advice?
jay2013
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol, I think I was meant to see this thread. As it happens I joined my student newspaper with the sole intention of meeting new people. I was good at writing, yes, but it was mostly about meeting new people. I met the editor at the time who happened to be the guy who started the newspaper as well and we got on really well. So much so that I found out that he lived in the apartment building opposite my student accommodation and we would often just hang out. Granted I'm male and he's male, but I hope you get the point. You need to put yourself in situations where you can socially interact with other people, both male and female and if that means joining a society then do it!

People join societies because mainly they want to be involved in something they like doing, because they want to meet new people, because they're bored or, in some cases, because they're drunk :eek:. Having a flat party also helps in my experience as you bring your friends and your friends bring their friends and other people bring their friends and so on and so on.

I hope this helps. PM me if you need any more advice!
Anonymous #3
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not necessarily looking for a long term commitment/relationship but it'd be nice to meet some new people/guys if that makes sense. I have a lovely group of friends but it's 90% girls and although we do go out clubbing obviously you don't properly 'meet' new people that way.
Not necessarily true, i met a girl on friday night clubbing and have a date with her next week.

Anyway it's not weird to join societies to make friends/whatever, isn't the mostly the point of them?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jay2013)
lol, I think I was meant to see this thread. As it happens I joined my student newspaper with the sole intention of meeting new people. I was good at writing, yes, but it was mostly about meeting new people. I met the editor at the time who happened to be the guy who started the newspaper as well and we got on really well. So much so that I found out that he lived in the apartment building opposite my student accommodation and we would often just hang out. Granted I'm male and he's male, but I hope you get the point. You need to put yourself in situations where you can socially interact with other people, both male and female and if that means joining a society then do it!

People join societies because mainly they want to be involved in something they like doing, because they want to meet new people, because they're bored or, in some cases, because they're drunk :eek:. Having a flat party also helps in my experience as you bring your friends and your friends bring their friends and other people bring their friends and so on and so on.

I hope this helps. PM me if you need any more advice!
Thank you for this! I think I will definitely see if there's any opportunities at the paper. It's not just meeting new people but I'd love to just be involved in something at uni, I really feel as if I'm just limiting myself/my uni experience because I don't do any sports or societies or anything at all like that. I feel like there's so much going on and I'm missing out on it all. I've always loved writing too so it'd be an ideal thing to have a go at. Thank you

Not necessarily true, i met a girl on friday night clubbing and have a date with her next week.

Anyway it's not weird to join societies to make friends/whatever, isn't the mostly the point of them?
I know it happens, but it's never happened to me. I've never met a guy on a night out interested in dating, put it that way..!

I suppose you're right!
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyone I've fancied at uni is in the same society. :lol: Damn those English students.

Of course if they read this and suss out who I am, there's going to be a bucketload of speculation. Which will be interesting. Not that I've dated any of them because I have a horror of dating.
nocoolusername
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP i am in the exact same situation except i am a guy and i am in college. I am only friends with 2 girls and they both have boyfriends and the rest of my friends are boys. I am tired of being single. I hope i can change this around after the half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Exactly. I pull friends and acquaintance from wherever I go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
Everyone I've fancied at uni is in the same society. :lol: Damn those English students.

Of course if they read this and suss out who I am, there's going to be a bucketload of speculation. Which will be interesting. Not that I've dated any of them because I have a horror of dating.
Hah, I'm an English student myself. I haven't really been to any English Soc events which may be an error... though tbf I've not really seen much eye candy during lectures/seminars! (plus it's mainly girls...)

(Original post by nocoolusername)
OP i am in the exact same situation except i am a guy and i am in college. I am only friends with 2 girls and they both have boyfriends and the rest of my friends are boys. I am tired of being single. I hope i can change this around after the half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah most of my friends all have boyfriends too, which I guess is why the 'single' angle bothered me.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hah, I'm an English student myself. I haven't really been to any English Soc events which may be an error... though tbf I've not really seen much eye candy during lectures/seminars! (plus it's mainly girls...)

Yeah most of my friends all have boyfriends too, which I guess is why the 'single' angle bothered me.
Creative writing's where it's at my dear.
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jay2013)
What if every society at your university is pretty much dead and is only filled by the two or three people that created the society in the first place which also happen to be 3rd years when you're in 1st year which is kind of awkward because you don't really have that much to relate to with them. Or even better yet what if no societies interest you in the first place, sounds miserable to join and attend society gatherings of which you have no interest in whatsoever you would feel out of place.
damien388
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im in the exact same situation .. Im bored of being single but I dont meet new people (other than on nights out) ... and I wouldnt want to get with someone I met on a night out. ughhh haha
Jonesy3622
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I guess I have the same issue as you a lot of the time, feel free to drop a message if you want a chat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise