The Student Room Group

LSE or Imperial (ICL) for Accounting and Finance?

I'm currently deciding whether or not to choose the LSE or Imperial College London (ICL) for the MSc Accounting and Finance course (the Imperial one is called MSc Finance and Accounting). I've got the offer from the former but still waiting for the latter.

My short-term goal is to proceed to PhD studies in accounting and then work in an international financial institution in the field of financial management.

My long-term career goal is to work in the academic research field. I'm not sure whether my research focus will be more qualitative or quantitative as my undergraduate studies in accounting and finance are more towards the qualitative side.

My main concern is, if I choose the LSE, then my partner has to go back to his home country (as the LSE one is a 9 month course), and I might not have as much exposure to practical and quantitative knowledge as I might have in Imperial. However, if I go to the Imperial, I'm afraid that the course's lack of focus on accounting might affect my future PhD research, as I'm not sure if I'll be interested in pursuing research in more quantitative areas.

Please see my analysis of the two programmes below.
LSE MSc Accounting and Finance:
Pros:
1. Offer more qualitative and accounting-focused course options
2. Long-established reputation in accounting (on par with Harvard Accounting Department according to QS Global Ranking)
3. Cheaper tuition fees (money isn't a matter of consideration though)

Cons:
1. 9-month programme (implying that I can't bring my dependent to this country)
2. Relatively more theoretical

Imperial MSc Finance and Accounting:
Pros:
1. 12-month programme (implying that my partner can stay with me and find a job in the City of London)

2. Exposure to more quantitative and practical side which my undergrad studies haven't covered

3. Much better course structure (e.g. offer online pre-study courses and foundation courses, which would be good for people like me who didn't learn much about mathematical stuff)

4. Impressive career services & the course gives a comprehensive intro to the finance industry and recruitment market

5. Free Finance softwares and CFA training workshops and preparation

6. Modernly designed campus & have chance to live in Kensington

7. Being a top 5 uni in the world, implying a better international reputation

Cons:
1. It's a new programme and Imperial didn't teach much accounting before

2. Less focus on accounting may affect my academic development in accounting

3. Not sure if it will provide a good linkage to PhD research

Any opinion?

Many thanks!
Victoria
Reply 1
Why does the 9/12 month thing effect your partner? LSE is a power-house for anything money related, it definitely has the better reputation for any course like this. It also has the best connections to private-sector out of all UK universities.
Reply 2
Original post by ZakV
Why does the 9/12 month thing effect your partner? LSE is a power-house for anything money related, it definitely has the better reputation for any course like this. It also has the best connections to private-sector out of all UK universities.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It's all down to the UKBA's stupid immigration rule. It states that students who are doing a postgraduate programme for less than 12 months cannot bring any dependents to this country. Since my partner is holding a non-EU passport, he can only stay in the UK for maximum 180 days within one year if he holds a visitor visa. We've contacted the MP in our city to push the Home Office to change the rule, and the MP has got back to us saying that our case will soon be under consideration by the Home Office. But not sure how it'll work out though.

In the best scenario I really want my partner to stay with me. If I don't get the offer from Imperial, I'll just end up in the LSE. However, I still want to know more opinion on which one to go for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kutar2753
In the best scenario I really want my partner to stay with me. If I don't get the offer from Imperial, I'll just end up in the LSE. However, I still want to know more opinion on which one to go for.

If Imperial suits you the best then obviously that is the clear choice :smile:. Both universities are great though so rest assured that which ever offer you a place then that's a great achievement :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending