kutar2753
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently deciding whether or not to choose the LSE or Imperial College London (ICL) for the MSc Accounting and Finance course (the Imperial one is called MSc Finance and Accounting). I've got the offer from the former but still waiting for the latter.

My short-term goal is to proceed to PhD studies in accounting and then work in an international financial institution in the field of financial management.

My long-term career goal is to work in the academic research field. I'm not sure whether my research focus will be more qualitative or quantitative as my undergraduate studies in accounting and finance are more towards the qualitative side.

My main concern is, if I choose the LSE, then my partner has to go back to his home country (as the LSE one is a 9 month course), and I might not have as much exposure to practical and quantitative knowledge as I might have in Imperial. However, if I go to the Imperial, I'm afraid that the course's lack of focus on accounting might affect my future PhD research, as I'm not sure if I'll be interested in pursuing research in more quantitative areas.

Please see my analysis of the two programmes below.
LSE MSc Accounting and Finance:
Pros:
1. Offer more qualitative and accounting-focused course options
2. Long-established reputation in accounting (on par with Harvard Accounting Department according to QS Global Ranking)
3. Cheaper tuition fees (money isn't a matter of consideration though)

Cons:
1. 9-month programme (implying that I can't bring my dependent to this country)
2. Relatively more theoretical

Imperial MSc Finance and Accounting:
Pros:
1. 12-month programme (implying that my partner can stay with me and find a job in the City of London)

2. Exposure to more quantitative and practical side which my undergrad studies haven't covered

3. Much better course structure (e.g. offer online pre-study courses and foundation courses, which would be good for people like me who didn't learn much about mathematical stuff)

4. Impressive career services & the course gives a comprehensive intro to the finance industry and recruitment market

5. Free Finance softwares and CFA training workshops and preparation

6. Modernly designed campus & have chance to live in Kensington

7. Being a top 5 uni in the world, implying a better international reputation

Cons:
1. It's a new programme and Imperial didn't teach much accounting before

2. Less focus on accounting may affect my academic development in accounting

3. Not sure if it will provide a good linkage to PhD research

Any opinion?

Many thanks!
Victoria
10kentoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It sounds as though you want to study at Imperial so that your partner can stay in the UK, and if that is what you want then you should definitely choose Imperial. For your goal of studying a PhD I think LSE is the superior institute and if were looking to get a job LSE is also the superior institute. However, only by the smallest margins so the pros of Imperials campus, CFA workshops, course structure and the fact your partner can live here makes it an easy decision. I don't think that you will be hampered by studying at Imperial or LSE so it's a good choice to have. Additionally, Imperial performs a lot better on all of the world rankings and if this continues it may change the perception that the universities are of equal standard.

May I also ask to see your profile? I am also applying for both courses that you have mentioned, but I am coming form a qualitative not a quantitative background which is makes being admitted quite a lot harder. If you don't want to post it on here you can PM it to me?

Oliver
kutar2753
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Oliver, thanks for your advice. My profile is below:
- studying Accounting and Finance at a Russell Group uni with overall 1.1 grade in both 1st and 2nd year. Dean's Award was attained for being the top student of the year
- couples of internships in big financial institutions in England and Hong Kong
- 8 in IELTS
- high level committee work at uni

Would you kindly share your profile as well?

(Original post by 10kentoo)
It sounds as though you want to study at Imperial so that your partner can stay in the UK, and if that is what you want then you should definitely choose Imperial. For your goal of studying a PhD I think LSE is the superior institute and if were looking to get a job LSE is also the superior institute. However, only by the smallest margins so the pros of Imperials campus, CFA workshops, course structure and the fact your partner can live here makes it an easy decision. I don't think that you will be hampered by studying at Imperial or LSE so it's a good choice to have. Additionally, Imperial performs a lot better on all of the world rankings and if this continues it may change the perception that the universities are of equal standard.

May I also ask to see your profile? I am also applying for both courses that you have mentioned, but I am coming form a qualitative not a quantitative background which is makes being admitted quite a lot harder. If you don't want to post it on here you can PM it to me?

Oliver
10kentoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
I studied Business at an unknown UK university, got a 2:1
I have had an internship at one big institute and have got another one this summer. Also have had internships at two boutique asset management firms.
Gmat over 700.
Played sport semi-professionally (don't know if that makes a difference)
Also ran my own company at university (again don't know if they care about that).

I am hoping my GMAT and extra curricular activities will help me get admitted. Following conversations with the university not studying accounting/economics/maths is the hardest hurdle to jump, so I am just hopeful my GMAT helps me out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.65%
Labour (161)
49.24%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.07%
Green Party (20)
6.12%
Brexit Party (4)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.14%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.61%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.22%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)