georgie1997
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently at a public school (year 11) but plan on going to a private sixth form. However I'm recently come across quite a hoo-ha regarding private schools and applications to the top universities as they appear to be favouring those who go to public school? I plan to study medicine at a uni such as Durham (my dream) so i was curious whether going to a private sixth form will decrease my chances?
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends which independent school you're planning to study at...
georgie1997
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Solihull School
Sparticon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It should't really, you'll be competing against people from state schools and private schools. If you're sure you'll get something out of it that you wouldn't at a state school then I'd say go for it. If not then maybe they'd like the 'broadening access' and (possibly) more diverse background a state school education could offer...

I wouldn't imagine it'll be a make or break point in your application though.
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by georgie1997)
I am currently at a public school (year 11) but plan on going to a private sixth form. However I'm recently come across quite a hoo-ha regarding private schools and applications to the top universities as they appear to be favouring those who go to public school? I plan to study medicine at a uni such as Durham (my dream) so i was curious whether going to a private sixth form will decrease my chances?
If you think you'll achieve equally well academically in a state school then id stay where you are!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, your chances are still better in a private secondary school because
- your grades are more likely to be higher
- your teachers will be experienced at getting students into medicine, and so will be able to offer the appropriate information, advice and guidance to you, as well as helping with your personal statement in an appropriate way.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Private school students are still disproportionately represented at medical school, so I don't think you have too much to worry about. They take school into account if someone went to a particularly bad one, or if comparing very similar applicants, but I don't think it's a major player both of the time, and as Origami Bullets says, there may well be other advantages in going private.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you are overthinking things.
tania<3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty sure it won't put you at a disadvantage unless you try and apply for the courses that are specifically tailored for widening access - like King's EMDP medicine course.
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Public school also means Private school. State school is the term you're looking for.
BlackMagicV
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My father liaises closely with admissions tutors from all Russell Group universities (he is not connected with any one particular college, but in the state sector). Essentially, the whole postcode lottery thing is a myth. The private school discrimination is a myth. They want to 'weed out the rich and thick.' So long as you're not thick, you'll be fine; by which I mean that your intellect should outshine any added polish you have from private schooling. There are certain pupils whose entry requirements will be lowered at a few universities, but this is based upon income as opposed to where the applicant went to school.
My best friend is at Durham and I think the majority of people she knows are from private schools. Pretty fed up of these myths being floated around to be honest. I went to the best state VI form in the UK in a very affluent area (it was ranked 5th overall by The Times a couple of years ago). I don't know of anyone who didn't get into university as a direct consequence of this.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Solihull School
Hey! I know Solihull. I go to a private sixth form in Warwick, so not too far off.

And honestly, you have nothing to worry about. No university actively discriminates against private school kids; sometimes they'll just press you more and scrutinise you more because they know you go to a good school and you'll have had coaching for interviews. But the benefit to your grades will beat that disadvantage by far.
Boy_wonder_95
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
Hey! I know Solihull. I go to a private sixth form in Warwick, so not too far off.
You near the university Warwick?
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
You near the university Warwick?
Warwick uni's actually in Coventry, but I'm not far off.
AnnekaChan173
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in a grammar school rather than a private school, but we're quite similar~

The problem with going to a private/grammar school is the fact that some unis are contextualising GCSE scores with those of other people in your school, who will have higher grades (Oxford for instance). It also bars you from getting onto certain outreach programs outside of school, like in places like Kings, which has an extensive program of lectures and talks open to anyone in a London non-selective school. Summer school programs like the Sutton Trust are often not open to private school students too - I've applied to do Medicine at Durham as I also want to go there, haha!

However as someone in a grammar school, I do feel like having other people at the same and higher level helps, that feeling of competition keeps you on your toes, so you'll find yourself studying more. In addition to that, in my school offers a lot of support for certain courses (STEP prep for engineering/physics/maths, UKCAT BMAT for prospective medics like myself), which make sure that you can show each uni your ability! Also, We've been given a lot of info about the UCAS process, which will definitely alleviate some of the pre-UCAS research woes!

Lastly, there are many girls who are still settling into Year 12 right now, which isn't a problem as each person takes a different amount of time to adapt, but there is a large risk in moving. If you feel like you will get the same grades at your current school, it may be a better move to stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads