Flooding on a Global Scale Watch

Philellis301
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all, I recently wrote an article about how flooding has affected not just the UK but the rest of the world as well, and how this might impact international travel. The article also lists some countries with known rainy seasons and flooding problems, I thought I would share it below just in case it proves useful for anybody. Enjoy!

It seemed almost too stereotypical that the topic dominating Britain's festive season was the weather, although this time perhaps public outrage was justified. In recent months flooding may be perceived as commonplace in many areas of the UK, with torrential downpours wishing us a muddy Christmas and a crappy New Year. The damage should not be trivialised however, with the Association of British Insurers quoting £426m worth of claims for December and January.

Understandably, the UK's situation regarding excessive flooding may have detracted from related circumstances on the global stage. In January, northern and central parts of Bolivia enacted a state of emergency in several provinces after severe conditions resulted in a number of casualties. Similar scenarios have occurred on the island of Sardinia and in parts of South-East Brazil towards the end of 2013.4 A recent study discussed by The Guardian suggested that the frequency and severity of floods may in fact be getting worse on an international scale. The report cites possible explanations to be increasing populations, improved media reporting and changing landscapes, although the main cause is difficult to identify. Nevertheless, this data heralds some strong implications, particularly for individuals who are keen on international travel.

The UK could be considered fortunate in possessing a fairly neutral climate. As a result, it may be easy for tourists to forget that other countries regularly experience the sorts of adverse weather conditions previously discussed. Below are some examples of tourist hotspots that travellers should be wary of - advice is provided by the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO):

Thailand

Thailand boasts stunning scenery and a colourful culture. The destination has become incredibly popular with the student population, as cheap living costs and infamous full moon parties far outweigh the expensive flights to go east. The rainy season in much of Thailand runs from May to October, with the height of Monsoon season occurring in the months of September and October. During this period, heavy storms can cause flooding and even landslides around certain areas. A useful source is the Mekong River Commission which posts official updates on the Mekong River on its website, available at: http://ffw.mrcmekong.org/

Indonesia

Sticking with the South-East Asian, Indonesia is another champion of the gap year crowd. In particular, the small island of Bali draws in plenty of admirers with the opportunity to experience the epitome of a tropical paradise. However, to fully enjoy the country and stay safe, the FCO suggests that travellers be aware of the rainy season (usually around April to October). Widespread flooding can occur, which can greatly increase the chances of water-borne diseases being present.

China

The Beijing Olympics were effective in showcasing Chinese pride in traditional culture. Since then the nation has seen levels of inbound tourism sky-rocket, and although it may be popular with an older market, an increasing number of teaching opportunities has seen an influx of younger adults as well. The wet season runs from May to November, with flooding common in areas of Central, Southern and Western China. In 2012, heavy rains triggered landslides in Zhejiang and Hubei provinces.

Czech Republic

Central Europe can be a fairly cost effective trip that offers some of the most well preserved landmark cities around. The Czech Republic does not the break the mold in this respect, housing the illustrious capital city of Prague. The country can occasionally be prone to seasonal flooding during spring, the Ministry of Agriculture provides an online map that shows any current flood warnings, available at: http://voda.gov.cz/portal/

There is a wealth of online information about international environmental conditions related to your specific travel needs. Organisations such as the FCO are particularly helpful at providing travel advice, as well as the most up to date news regarding potential threats. For a more detailed look at what they can offer, go to: https://www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo

Alternatively, you can follow them on Facebook (facebook.com/travel) or Twitter (twitter.com/fcotravel).

Researching your destination before you travel not only ensures a safe trip, but the likelihood is that the most impressive cultural events revolve around these natural phenomena as well. Or, if you prefer your travel advice in the form of a catchy mantra, it pays to know before you go!
nfikri
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nice writing.

Although as an Indonesian myself I kind of disagree that the April through October is when the floods usually come, for the past decade it's mostly January or February.

That's what happens in Jakarta though, I don't have any clear data for Bali (which is the greatest tourist attraction here.)
Philellis301
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by nfikri)
Nice writing.

Although as an Indonesian myself I kind of disagree that the April through October is when the floods usually come, for the past decade it's mostly January or February.

That's what happens in Jakarta though, I don't have any clear data for Bali (which is the greatest tourist attraction here.)
Thank you for the compliment! I think a lot of weather patterns have shifted recently so it's always interesting to hear from a native perspective. If you have the time you could comment on the Indonesian travel advice section on the FCO website here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...el-advice-team

Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed