Energy Transfers Watch

king101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys so I’m a little confused on energy transfers which take place in living organisms.

Am I right in saying this: Plants use light energy from the sun and convert this into chemical energy via photosynthesis. This chemical energy is used via respiration for the production of the energy carrying molecule ATP. Therefore the energy has been transformed from chemical to an immediate source of energy ATP which is the energy currency for cells. ATP splits into ADP + pI which releases energy for the process of active transport of sodium ions into the xylem which causes water to move out of the endodermis into the xylem down its water potential gradient that has been caused by the energy of active transport supplied by ATP of sodium ions into the xylem. This therefore transfers the energy into kinetic energy in the form of movment of water and the sodium ion carrier protein on the CSM of the endodermis.

In addition to this would it also be right in saying that as consumers/animals feed on producers it transfers the chemical energy which organisms can then use for the process of respiration=ATP. ATP then used for muscle contraction=transfers energy into kinetic + heat from movement (and metabolic heat???)

Also ATP splitting gives ADP + pI and hence releases energy. If you say as ATP attaches to a carrier protein such as (NA K pump) and sodium ions attach to receptor sites in the sodium potassium pump ATP splits into ADP +pI (remaining attached to carrier protein) but releases energy for the sodium potassium pump to change shape…IS THIS A TRANSFER OF ENERGY I.E. ATP ENERGY =RELEASE ENERGY=KINETIC ENERGY FOR MOVMENT OF MOLECULES AGAINST CONCENTRATION GRADIENT AND THE FACTOR THE CARRIER PROTEIN CHANGES SHAPE?? ALSO DOES THIS RELEASE HEAT energy??

Also what’s all this talk about metabolic heat/metabolic rate/metabolism?

Is everything with metabolism talking about glucose + oxygen=CO2 +H20 and hence the production of the energy carrying molecule ATP that therefore somehow creates heat? So am I right in saying everytime the ATP molecule produced energy in the form of chemical is transferred into heat energy and ATP as an energy soruce???
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by king101)
Hi guys so I’m a little confused on energy transfers which take place in living organisms.

Am I right in saying this: Plants use light energy from the sun and convert this into chemical energy via photosynthesis. This chemical energy is used via respiration for the production of the energy carrying molecule ATP. Therefore the energy has been transformed from chemical to an immediate source of energy ATP which is the energy currency for cells. ATP splits into ADP + pI which releases energy for the process of active transport of sodium ions into the xylem which causes water to move out of the endodermis into the xylem down its water potential gradient that has been caused by the energy of active transport supplied by ATP of sodium ions into the xylem. This therefore transfers the energy into kinetic energy in the form of movment of water and the sodium ion carrier protein on the CSM of the endodermis.

In addition to this would it also be right in saying that as consumers/animals feed on producers it transfers the chemical energy which organisms can then use for the process of respiration=ATP. ATP then used for muscle contraction=transfers energy into kinetic + heat from movement (and metabolic heat???)

Also ATP splitting gives ADP + pI and hence releases energy. If you say as ATP attaches to a carrier protein such as (NA K pump) and sodium ions attach to receptor sites in the sodium potassium pump ATP splits into ADP +pI (remaining attached to carrier protein) but releases energy for the sodium potassium pump to change shape…IS THIS A TRANSFER OF ENERGY I.E. ATP ENERGY =RELEASE ENERGY=KINETIC ENERGY FOR MOVMENT OF MOLECULES AGAINST CONCENTRATION GRADIENT AND THE FACTOR THE CARRIER PROTEIN CHANGES SHAPE?? ALSO DOES THIS RELEASE HEAT energy??

Also what’s all this talk about metabolic heat/metabolic rate/metabolism?

Is everything with metabolism talking about glucose + oxygen=CO2 +H20 and hence the production of the energy carrying molecule ATP that therefore somehow creates heat? So am I right in saying everytime the ATP molecule produced energy in the form of chemical is transferred into heat energy and ATP as an energy soruce???
1) yes and no.. plants use light from energy to produce glucose compounds, and the whole process of respiration is what produces the energy carrier

2) that seems about right

3) again that seems like a fair point, but most of the energy released in the lysis of ATP will be in the form of heat.

4) basal metabolic rate (bmr) is the minimum amount of energy your body requires to carry out bodily processes while inactive (such as respiration, or beating heart etc).

5) most energy for metabolic reactions will be aerobic, yes. Like I said previously, most energy released will be in the form of heat. ATP isn't really an energy source, as much as it is an energy carrier molecule.
king101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
1) yes and no.. plants use light from energy to produce glucose compounds, and the whole process of respiration is what produces the energy carrier

2) that seems about right

3) again that seems like a fair point, but most of the energy released in the lysis of ATP will be in the form of heat.

4) basal metabolic rate (bmr) is the minimum amount of energy your body requires to carry out bodily processes while inactive (such as respiration, or beating heart etc).

5) most energy for metabolic reactions will be aerobic, yes. Like I said previously, most energy released will be in the form of heat. ATP isn't really an energy source, as much as it is an energy carrier molecule.
Plants use light energy from the sun and convert this into chemical energy via photosynthesis hence glucose. This chemical energy is used via respiration for the production of the energy carrying molecule ATP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)Therefore the energy has been transformed from chemical to an immediate source of energy ATP which is the energy currency for cells.

Am I right in saying this is therefore a transfer of energy from chemical to ATP?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) ATP splits into ADP + pI.

Am I right in saying this releases energy in the form of heat? And hence the immediate source of energy is transferred into heat which is commonly called metabolic heat. OR is metabolic heat referring to the production of ATP via aerobic respiration?

3)This splitting of ATP, releases energy for the process of active transport of sodium ions into the xylem which causes water to move out of the endodermis into the xylem down its water potential gradient.

Am I right in saying as a result of ATP being used to establish a water potential gradient the energy for ATP once split transfers energy into the form of HEAT and KINETIC in the sense water molecules move down a water potential gradient?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Consumers can then feed on producers transferring the chemical energy to consumers via digestion which consumers can then use for the process of respiration=ATP. ATP then splits generating heat energy as-well as energy used for muscle contraction=transfers energy into kinetic + heat from movement.

Am I right in saying it is the splitting of ATP that brings about heat energy and energy for the processes it undertakes? Also is heat energy brought about during the manufacture of ATP i.e. glucose + oxygen...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
king101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just to simplify my confusion:

ATP splits= energy in the form of heat and THIS HEAT energy used to change the shape of carrier proteins?

Glucose+Oxygen--->C02+H20 and hence ATP is produced but this process also produces heat energy and is refereed to metabolic heat.

So does that also mean plants produce metabolic heat?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%