How do you revise for english literature

Watch this thread
ennahaspatience
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Seriously, how do you revise for the literature paper? i am doing of Mice and Men/Kindertransport on AQA.
ennahaspatience
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
bump
rasberyl
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Read the books at least 3 times before the exam. Make sure that you know the key events. It might be a good idea to storyboard the events, to leave a visual image in your head of what happens. Create a mind map for each character with key quotes as you don't have the book in the exam (our exam board didn't let us, not sure about AQA)
Also practice with papers, the questions are often repeated.
ennahaspatience
Rep:
(Original post by rasberyl)
Read the books at least 3 times before the exam. Make sure that you know the key events. It might be a good idea to storyboard the events, to leave a visual image in your head of what happens. Create a mind map for each character with key quotes as you don't have the book in the exam (our exam board didn't let us, not sure about AQA)
Also practice with papers, the questions are often repeated.
Wait, in GCSE, they didn't let you have your book?
Thank you for the reply, i will take that on board
rasberyl
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ennahaspatience)
Wait, in GCSE, they didn't let you have your book?
Thank you for the reply, i will take that on board
Not when we took the exam. We had to remember the quotes.
rasberyl
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I also made mind maps on themes
ennahaspatience
Rep:
(Original post by rasberyl)
Not when we took the exam. We had to remember the quotes.
Wow, then i am lucky then. I would hate that because i don't particularly like English literature, well just the exams
BaudelaireLucky
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Check if the exam is open book (unless you're sure it is) because I wasn't allowed to take the book into the exam (WJEC)
Even if you do take the book in though, you don't have time to flick through and find quotations so try to memorise them as best as you can. I'd say make a mind map for each character and each theme (so in Of Mice and Men have mind maps for George, Lennie, Curley's Wife, Crooks, friendship, animals, etc.) with all the key quotes/events to do with them
Also, do all the practice papers you can, they help a lot
ennahaspatience
Rep:
(Original post by BaudelaireLucky)
Check if the exam is open book (unless you're sure it is) because I wasn't allowed to take the book into the exam (WJEC)
Even if you do take the book in though, you don't have time to flick through and find quotations so try to memorise them as best as you can. I'd say make a mind map for each character and each theme (so in Of Mice and Men have mind maps for George, Lennie, Curley's Wife, Crooks, friendship, animals, etc.) with all the key quotes/events to do with them
Also, do all the practice papers you can, they help a lot
It is definately open book exam.
Thank you... i better start making mind maps then
iWillWalker23
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Read the books, read the revision guides, do practice essays under timed conditions.
Atsushi
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing of Mice and Men (on Edexcel), I was one mark of an A* in my mocks and I watched the movie and memorised the quotes. I don't get to take the book with me. Even so I think you should memorise major quotes to reduce time wasted finding them and prepare some mini essays as notes in your book which you can take along to help you.
ennahaspatience
Rep:
(Original post by Atsushi)
I'm doing of Mice and Men (on Edexcel), I was one mark of an A* in my mocks and I watched the movie and memorised the quotes. I don't get to take the book with me. Even so I think you should memorise major quotes to reduce time wasted finding them and prepare some mini essays as notes in your book which you can take along to help you.
Thank you. I just realised that i have not done a mock for of mice and men
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (12)
38.71%
As I expected (6)
19.35%
Harder (12)
38.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
3.23%

Watched Threads