Advice on any of Higher Psychology, philosophy or Modern Studies?

Watch
youngerinmyhunge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I can do two out of Higher philosophy, psychology and modern studies next year. I'm pretty certain I'd like to do Philosophy, but I'd love any information about it; is it difficult, is it very discussion based?
To do psychology, I'd have to miss 2 periods a week (unless I drop philosophy, it's very complicated), is it worth it to do it?
Just basically how hard and enjoyable are these subjects? Would you recommend doing any of them?
caralong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I sat my higher philosophy prelim today and in all honesty it was pretty easy. The number of ways in which they can present the questions is very finite so it is an easy exam to prepare for. My class takes out a period a week for discussion based work but it doesn't contribute to your final grade. The only issue with the paper is that it is a lot of writing in a, what I consider, short space of time. You may find it a wee bit more difficult if you have not previously done intermediate two philosophy like I did in fourth year (which is also very easy, I got 100%). I'd highly recommend philosophy as a higher, it is sought after by many universities these days and valued by employers also, and perhaps most importantly, it's enjoyable! I can't comment on psychology as my school doesn't offer it and I haven't done modern studies since first year but I hope that helped.
DanielleDx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is there any way I can download a log book online for psychology? A water bottle leaked in my bag and ruined mine.
youngerinmyhunge
Rep:
?
(Original post by caralong)
Hi, I sat my higher philosophy prelim today and in all honesty it was pretty easy. The number of ways in which they can present the questions is very finite so it is an easy exam to prepare for. My class takes out a period a week for discussion based work but it doesn't contribute to your final grade. The only issue with the paper is that it is a lot of writing in a, what I consider, short space of time. You may find it a wee bit more difficult if you have not previously done intermediate two philosophy like I did in fourth year (which is also very easy, I got 100%). I'd highly recommend philosophy as a higher, it is sought after by many universities these days and valued by employers also, and perhaps most importantly, it's enjoyable! I can't comment on psychology as my school doesn't offer it and I haven't done modern studies since first year but I hope that helped.
I handed in my Options form today and I've chosen Philosophy, reading your post made me really excited! I've done history before, so I'm used to this 'insane amount of writing in no time' thing!
I've done Philosophy in 1st-4th year as part of unassesed RMPS, and I loved it. I can't wait to study it, thank you so much!
caralong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by youngerinmyhunge)
I handed in my Options form today and I've chosen Philosophy, reading your post made me really excited! I've done history before, so I'm used to this 'insane amount of writing in no time' thing!
I've done Philosophy in 1st-4th year as part of unassesed RMPS, and I loved it. I can't wait to study it, thank you so much!
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Happy to help and glad to hear you went for philosophy. If you loved core R.E then you will love philosophy. You'll go into utilitarianism and morality in a lot more detail and epistemology/knowledge and doubt is really interesting. Good luck with it! I'm happy to help you if you may need it haha. [/COLOR]
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
I can do two out of Higher philosophy, psychology and modern studies next year. I'm pretty certain I'd like to do Philosophy, but I'd love any information about it; is it difficult, is it very discussion based?
To do psychology, I'd have to miss 2 periods a week (unless I drop philosophy, it's very complicated), is it worth it to do it?
Just basically how hard and enjoyable are these subjects? Would you recommend doing any of them?
I did RMPS at school and the advice I would give is to maybe look into whether or not you like the philosophy of things. I'm assuming that Higher Philosophy has 100% philosophy in it as someone earlier mentioned utilitarianism etc. In RMPS, religion was 1/3, morality was 1/3 and philosophy was 1/3. Going into RMPS, I thought I'd love the philosophy aspect but as it turned out, I much preferred the other two. I was fortunate that I enjoyed the other two because otherwise, the course would've been hard for me.

Therefore, read into some things regarding philosophy that appear in the course and decide then.

Good luck!
caralong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I did RMPS at school and the advice I would give is to maybe look into whether or not you like the philosophy of things. I'm assuming that Higher Philosophy has 100% philosophy in it as someone earlier mentioned utilitarianism etc. In RMPS, religion was 1/3, morality was 1/3 and philosophy was 1/3. Going into RMPS, I thought I'd love the philosophy aspect but as it turned out, I much preferred the other two. I was fortunate that I enjoyed the other two because otherwise, the course would've been hard for me.

Therefore, read into some things regarding philosophy that appear in the course and decide then.

Good luck!
If you enjoy morality there is a unit on moral philosophy which looks at applying normative moral theories (utilitarianism and kantianism) to case studies. However, Quick-use has a point, the moral philosophy unit is perhaps the only resemblance to RMPS the course bears, except perhaps the cosmological and teleological arguments studied in both higher RMPS and philosophy. Perhaps google concepts such as epistemology, critical thinking, fallacies etc. and see if learning about such concepts appeals to you. I started studying intermediate 2 philosophy in third year because i loved RMPS so hopefully you'll enjoy it too!
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
Higher Philosophy is really interesting, definitely take it if you can - it's reasonably difficult (our teacher always says it's the same as an advanced higher) but not too bad if you put the work in, and it's not as discussion based as everyone always thinks it's going to be! haha Can't comment on psychology really, heard from people doing it in my school that it's quite easy but can't say for certain. Modern Studies, well... let's just say you'll need to be able to write fast! It isn't a bad course, but very essay based and, for me anyway, harder than the other too.
dead101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Higher psychology is good, I loved it! Interesting and Exam was fairly easy too - if you study you're pretty much guaranteed an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
caralong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dylankj96)
it's reasonably difficult (our teacher always says it's the same as an advanced higher)
Really? That's interesting to hear, i have always found it quite easy. Scored 100% in the intermediate 2 exam and scored 100% in my higher prelim.
alanameatsix_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Psychology was brilliant, in my opinion. It was all really interesting and the stuff was easy to learn! It's mostly essays but as I said, easy to learn! Definitely do it if you have the chance
youngerinmyhunge
Rep:
?
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Happy to help and glad to hear you went for philosophy. If you loved core R.E then you will love philosophy. You'll go into utilitarianism and morality in a lot more detail and epistemology/knowledge and doubt is really interesting. Good luck with it! I'm happy to help you if you may need it haha. [/COLOR]
Sorry just saw, this! I can't wait to do morality, I love all that stuff! Thanks so much!
Ambearto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey - How are you revising philosophy for the exam a week on Thursday? I have written down things I need to know, but is there any way in which it could be condensed? Thanks
ChrissyH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't do Psychology; it is easy (not done my exam yet, so we'll find out) but I found it so boring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (28)
13.27%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.64%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.27%
I need help with my personal statement (88)
41.71%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.9%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.58%

Watched Threads