The Student Room Group

Writing messages on dating websites

I'm a girl in my mid twenties and i recently signed up for a dating website because I'm finding it difficult to meet guys where I live. I'm new to online dating so I'm not really sure what's expected.

Is it normal that some guys wanna need up after a day or two? Would automatically assume that they're not interested in a serious relationship?

Also what are you supposed to write to someone in a first message? A lot of people just say 'Hi' or tell me that they like my pictures which makes me think that the message a lot of other girls too but I'm not really sure what to say to a guy when messaging them.

Also is it better to get back to some if you're not interested or is it better to ignore them? A guy seemed really angry at me because I told him that I didn't feel that we had anything in common. I try not to ignore people if they make an effort rather than just saying 'hi, how are you' but I feel like I might have offended him.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl in my mid twenties and i recently signed up for a dating website because I'm finding it difficult to meet guys where I live. I'm new to online dating so I'm not really sure what's expected.

Is it normal that some guys wanna need up after a day or two? Would automatically assume that they're not interested in a serious relationship?

Also what are you supposed to write to someone in a first message? A lot of people just say 'Hi' or tell me that they like my pictures which makes me think that the message a lot of other girls too but I'm not really sure what to say to a guy when messaging them.

Also is it better to get back to some if you're not interested or is it better to ignore them? A guy seemed really angry at me because I told him that I didn't feel that we had anything in common. I try not to ignore people if they make an effort rather than just saying 'hi, how are you' but I feel like I might have offended him.

Don't bother with the ones who just say 'hi' or sleezy comments about pictures, they're probably just playing the percentage game (badly) my messaging lots of people. You should only respond to someone clearly making an effort.

First message should be short but light hearted. Comment about something they've writen in their profile, and throw in a question or two so they have something to open with too. Never begin with an essay, and never respond with messages way longer than they've sent you as it does seem a bit OTT/desperate.

I wouldn't say that wanting to meet up early is a bad thing, it's a bit artificial spending ages chatting online, and you can end up forming an unrealistic expectation of who they are which they will then never live up too when you meet. The only way you'll really know how much chemistry you have is in person. Just make sure the first date is always somewhere public.

If someone you flat out aren't interested in then it's okay to ignore their initial contact, but if you've been seeing someone for a date or two and then decide you should be respectful enough to say something rather than leave them hanging.

Anyway hope it works out for you!
Reply 2
Original post by climbing_trees88
Don't bother with the ones who just say 'hi' or sleezy comments about pictures, they're probably just playing the percentage game (badly) my messaging lots of people. You should only respond to someone clearly making an effort.

First message should be short but light hearted. Comment about something they've writen in their profile, and throw in a question or two so they have something to open with too. Never begin with an essay, and never respond with messages way longer than they've sent you as it does seem a bit OTT/desperate.

I wouldn't say that wanting to meet up early is a bad thing, it's a bit artificial spending ages chatting online, and you can end up forming an unrealistic expectation of who they are which they will then never live up too when you meet. The only way you'll really know how much chemistry you have is in person. Just make sure the first date is always somewhere public.

If someone you flat out aren't interested in then it's okay to ignore their initial contact, but if you've been seeing someone for a date or two and then decide you should be respectful enough to say something rather than leave them hanging.

Anyway hope it works out for you!

Thanks a lot! I tend to ignore that ones who just say hi and/or comment on my pictures. I got some very strange messages too but i guess that's to be expected.

Makes sense! What about people who live far away? I get quite a lot of messages from guys who I've far away but I'm not sure of they're actually interested in meeting up. I don't really wanna spend lots of time messaging them if they're not interested but it's ver difficult to tell.
I tend to ice break if I know they've viewed and thank them for stopping by and hello, I notice you popped by and from I read we have a few things in common. Perhaps we could chat sometime :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

I get sick of the games that girls play. They just want to have a chat on the computer and via text and dont want to actually go out on a date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by datpiff
I get sick of the games that girls play. They just want to have a chat on the computer and via text and dont want to actually go out on a date.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't intend to play games/just talk online. I just wasn't sure whether its rude not to get back to someone if they made the effort to message you.
Original post by datpiff

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think some girls offer this for a fee. you are at least not charged for it.
Reply 7
I'd say that's normal. Guys are aware that girls are getting a lot of messages. They don't want to spend too long sending messages online. Another guy could come along and she'll stop replying. The way to counteract that is to ask to meet up early on. If she has met you, it's a lot harder for her to forget that you exist.

Whether you're comfortable to meet up with someone after that time period is another question, though.

I don't know about messaging every guy back. That's up to you. I'd say the majority don't respond to all of them. The reply rates are very low. I'm sure there are guys that get upset when you respond and say that you don't believe that you're compatible. Probably best just to ignore his message if you have no intention of meeting him.
(edited 10 years ago)
I tend to like to message for a week or so and if we met too soon and you get the wrong idea. Depending what you're setting out for can be how you come across and if it's pushy and making her feel rushed to meet then could lead her to lead you on till she's comfortable .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I have heard that most men on dating websites are after one thing preying on women, but I myself am a genuine male who had the problem that most women want something impossible.

I see dating profiles where women say they are trying online dating as fed up of the usual guys wanting only one thing and they dont like pretty boys,waxed bodies etc then I write a message and dont get a reply(but I know I am bad at messages anyway) or get a "sorry not our type" response despite being everything they wanted on paper down to looks, personality etc and the ones where you can check history of the user you find the people they check out are the same type they claim they despise.

So the online dating thing is almost useless really in the real world unless you are lucky or someone really has the hots for you.

Its also bad advice to say ignore those you dislike as the people who do this again would be annoyed or upset if it happened to them and its good for peace of mind as long as its worded in a reasonable way even if a few lines.
I think you should reply back to someone who only says "hi"...it's possible that he didn't think that you would reply, that's why he didn't bother sending a long message (my current boyfriend did this). It's what they say after the "hi" that you should pay attention to. Also, it's good to look on their profile as well, see what they are about, where they live, what their interests are etc.

Usually guys do like to meet up within a day or two, for them it's an easier way of breaking the ice, seeing if you have things in common, and most importantly, finding out if you are real. I wouldn't meet with anyone who I didn't talk to for at least a week, so I just used to say something like "well I'd prefer to chat on here for a bit longer" and see what they say. Most of them wont mind, but if they do, then they are not worth your time and are looking for an easy hook up....watch out for these guys!

Also, don't take to heart those guys that get angry at you, you're probably the 5th woman that day to say no thanks, so they are feeling quite low in their self esteem anyway....if they start being rude online, block them, you don't need to listen to a stranger talk about how rude you were and call you names, that's not what you are online for.

PM me if you need more advice, I have loads!
See that we're real. Have you guys had a bad experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by drbluebox
I have heard that most men on dating websites are after one thing preying on women, but I myself am a genuine male who had the problem that most women want something impossible.

I see dating profiles where women say they are trying online dating as fed up of the usual guys wanting only one thing and they dont like pretty boys,waxed bodies etc then I write a message and dont get a reply(but I know I am bad at messages anyway) or get a "sorry not our type" response despite being everything they wanted on paper down to looks, personality etc and the ones where you can check history of the user you find the people they check out are the same type they claim they despise.

So the online dating thing is almost useless really in the real world unless you are lucky or someone really has the hots for you.

Its also bad advice to say ignore those you dislike as the people who do this again would be annoyed or upset if it happened to them and its good for peace of mind as long as its worded in a reasonable way even if a few lines.

Yeah I try to avoid the ones that are just after casual sex. Sometimes it's pretty obvious when you look at their profiles and messages. Obviously you can't always tell but I would imagine most of them will lose interest if you wanna get to know them first and they can't be bothered to write long messages. I've never said to anyone that they aren't my type. I'm obviously not attracted to everyone who messages me but I don't wanna upset anyone.

Original post by stargirl63
I think you should reply back to someone who only says "hi"...it's possible that he didn't think that you would reply, that's why he didn't bother sending a long message (my current boyfriend did this). It's what they say after the "hi" that you should pay attention to. Also, it's good to look on their profile as well, see what they are about, where they live, what their interests are etc.

Usually guys do like to meet up within a day or two, for them it's an easier way of breaking the ice, seeing if you have things in common, and most importantly, finding out if you are real. I wouldn't meet with anyone who I didn't talk to for at least a week, so I just used to say something like "well I'd prefer to chat on here for a bit longer" and see what they say. Most of them wont mind, but if they do, then they are not worth your time and are looking for an easy hook up....watch out for these guys!

Also, don't take to heart those guys that get angry at you, you're probably the 5th woman that day to say no thanks, so they are feeling quite low in their self esteem anyway....if they start being rude online, block them, you don't need to listen to a stranger talk about how rude you were and call you names, that's not what you are online for.

PM me if you need more advice, I have loads!

That's true! I'm really shy and I wouldn't know what to say myself. I always look at their profile, it's important to me that we have similar interests and that both of us are serious about meeting up.

That's a good point actually. One guy was really rude when I told him that I wasn't interested anymore. He asked me if I wanted to meet up and I said I wanted to get to know him better first and I lost interest when he asked me again two hours later.

Is it ok to message someone again if they haven't gotten back to you in like a day or does it just make you look desperate? This guy started messaging me and we seemed to get on really well but he hasn't been in touch in a while. He said he was really busy with work so maybe that why he hasn't been in touch.
Reply 13
Asking to meet up early doesn't guarantee that they just want sex, but I'd imagine that's quite likely to be the case. Tbh, I wouldn't want to meet up with someone after just a few days anyway.

If you don't like someone, then yeah it's not a bad thing to tell them you're not interested, gets to the point. You might get a bad reaction though, so you could just block them if you decide they're not for you. But they made the effort to talk to you, so it's nice to put some effort in at your end too.

I try not to ignore people if they make an effort rather than just saying 'hi, how are you'

What's wrong with that? Are you expecting them to open with a poem dedicated to you or something? Lol, seems super picky to reject people because they say "hi". You don't even know what you're supposed to write yourself!
Reply 14
Original post by xDave-

What's wrong with that? Are you expecting them to open with a poem dedicated to you or something? Lol, seems super picky to reject people because they say "hi". You don't even know what you're supposed to write yourself!

I used to reply if they seemed nice but it turned out that many of those guys actually didn't read my profile (you can tell by the questions they ask), which makes me think that they might be sending the same message to everyone.
Reply 15
The ice breakers will he sent to many girls so what ?

You judge the person on the subsequent conversation not the opener. Men get ignored tons
I think this is one of these vicious circle things. A lot of women tend not to message a guy back and thusly a lot of guys tend to think 'Well, I won't put a big ol' message on there in case she doesn't bother'. They wait to see if they get a response and 'save' a decent message for their reply if that makes sense.

It's interesting, online dating etiquette. If a woman's got some really interesting info and a lot of things in common with you on their profile then sure, message her and reference it and the job's a good un.

But loads of people don't have that, they have either very very scant information or ridiculously basic stuff like 'I like my friends and family' (Well, tough titties - I want to date a sociopath). If you messaged these people purely because you find them attractive it's creepy/not on/desperate.

But, if you get chatting to a woman on a train, in a bar, at work, wherever because you find them attractive (and you know nowt else about them) then it's ok - it's a strange line to draw.

Anyway, this has just been an irrelevant little rant as I don't really know much about what you're asking for, I just find it interesting.
I think the idea is that girls often have a picture of a perfect guy in their head but things aren't always like that for them in real life so they end up being bitter about it but they still want those things, you know!

Dating websites are no more "dangerous" than going out with someone you met in Boots :biggrin: !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by StretfordEnd
I think this is one of these vicious circle things. A lot of women tend not to message a guy back and thusly a lot of guys tend to think 'Well, I won't put a big ol' message on there in case she doesn't bother'. They wait to see if they get a response and 'save' a decent message for their reply if that makes sense.

It's interesting, online dating etiquette. If a woman's got some really interesting info and a lot of things in common with you on their profile then sure, message her and reference it and the job's a good un.

But loads of people don't have that, they have either very very scant information or ridiculously basic stuff like 'I like my friends and family' (Well, tough titties - I want to date a sociopath). If you messaged these people purely because you find them attractive it's creepy/not on/desperate.

But, if you get chatting to a woman on a train, in a bar, at work, wherever because you find them attractive (and you know nowt else about them) then it's ok - it's a strange line to draw.

Anyway, this has just been an irrelevant little rant as I don't really know much about what you're asking for, I just find it interesting.

The same goes for guys, I messaged couple of guys and most of them didn't reply even though I tried to out some thought into it. Don't be assumings girls have got it easy, they don't otherwise they wouldn't be needing those websites. I made a few bad experiences both in real life and on the website and I'm just trying to be careful.
Yeah I try to avoid the ones that are just after casual sex. Sometimes it's pretty obvious when you look at their profiles and messages. Obviously you can't always tell but I would imagine most of them will lose interest if you wanna get to know them first and they can't be bothered to write long messages. I've never said to anyone that they aren't my type. I'm obviously not attracted to everyone who messages me but I don't wanna upset anyone.

That's true! I'm really shy and I wouldn't know what to say myself. I always look at their profile, it's important to me that we have similar interests and that both of us are serious about meeting up.

That's a good point actually. One guy was really rude when I told him that I wasn't interested anymore. He asked me if I wanted to meet up and I said I wanted to get to know him better first and I lost interest when he asked me again two hours later.

Is it ok to message someone again if they haven't gotten back to you in like a day or does it just make you look desperate? This guy started messaging me and we seemed to get on really well but he hasn't been in touch in a while. He said he was really busy with work so maybe that why he hasn't been in touch.

To be the online dating game is slightly different to the usual. Feel free to message someone if they haven't got back to you, no they won't think you are desperate (think of all the crazy people who are on the same website! You will sound more than normal!) Feel free to double message them, it's no problem, however if they are constantly hard to get a hold of, then perhaps leave it because they may not be interested....Also, don't forget since people are dating, it's very normal to also go off the radar for a week or two, perhaps because they have met someone. They will usually come back if their previous date didn't work out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending