Lexi42
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I am a U.S. student and will be doing a MA or Msc in development/ International economics in the U.K. this coming September. I've already gotten a few offers but I am wondering which Master will be the most marketable.

Hopefully I will land a job in an international organizations such as the World Bank, IMF, UN etc...basically be working in development.
However I also wouldn't mind working in a different area, like for institutions that don't necessarily specialize in development. That's why I feel like a Msc Development Economics would limit my job prospects.
I feel like International Economics is broader and it contains development economics anyways. I can even work in Finance with a Msc International Econ.

Opinions?
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Msc International Econ would possibly be more general and you can keep your options open. A few private sector employers are less inclined to hire MS DevEconomists and roll their eyes about 'poverty economics'. Some IE offer typically one optional development module, but it doesn't have to. Both DevEcon and IntEcon cover econ growth policy, but it differs on PoV.

DevEcon: more critical theory, covers typically: education & skills, growth, agriculture, health, labour, gender, population, FDI, trade conflict. The reading list is vastly different with Sen, Sachs, Banerjee, Duflo, Bhattarja, Desai, Xu, Lu, Jayachadran. The paradigm is less neo-liberal positive and you learn about theory.

IntEcon: Trade, Doha rounds, deregulation and support liberalisation of trade to stimulate growth. It is more 'applied' in methodology and focus and You read other works. You work more with econ models and evidence such as currency exchange rates and competitiveness in trade. The PoV is more from industrialised nations and US/EU trade policy. Banks would prefer Econ, Econometrics or Fin Econ degree. Profs at IntEcon would have different research interests than DevEcon.
Lexi42
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Tcannon)
The Msc International Econ would possibly be more general and you can keep your options open. A few private sector employers are less inclined to hire MS DevEconomists and roll their eyes about 'poverty economics'. Some IE offer typically one optional development module, but it doesn't have to. Both DevEcon and IntEcon cover econ growth policy, but it differs on PoV.

DevEcon: more critical theory, covers typically: education & skills, growth, agriculture, health, labour, gender, population, FDI, trade conflict. The reading list is vastly different with Sen, Sachs, Banerjee, Duflo, Bhattarja, Desai, Xu, Lu, Jayachadran. The paradigm is less neo-liberal positive and you learn about theory.

IntEcon: Trade, Doha rounds, deregulation and support liberalisation of trade to stimulate growth. It is more 'applied' in methodology and focus and You read other works. You work more with econ models and evidence such as currency exchange rates and competitiveness in trade. The PoV is more from industrialised nations and US/EU trade policy. Banks would prefer Econ, Econometrics or Fin Econ degree. Profs at IntEcon would have different research interests than DevEcon.
Thanks!

I think I'll go for International Economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (205)
33.28%
No (411)
66.72%

Watched Threads