Public Law Question help!!!!Thanks!!!!

Watch this thread
Kandy_Kain_94
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Critically discuss the need for greater diversity within the judiciary of England and Wales.

I'm struggling with how to approach this essay question as it seems really broad. I could go on for ages about diversity in the judiciary but as I only have 1500 words, I'm finding it difficult to decide what to focus my answer on. I feel like my current approach is too simplistic.

My plan was to start off by identifying and addressing why we need diversity and what has already been done. (referencing relevant authority)
Next I would assess the opinions of academics in favour of greater diversity in the judiciary and discuss the extent to which improving diversity will be successful.
I would then address the other side of the arguement, by discussing why we don't necessarily need greater diversity, again assessing the opinions of academics against the need for greater diversity. I'd then talk about the effect of the current situation and whether or not it works?
I would also briefly touch on ways to improve diversity/alternatives (JAC, career judiciary, the issue of 'secret soundings' etc) but it depends on how much of my word count I have left.

Any advice on what areas to focus on etc would be appreciated. Thanks.
MostUncivilised
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I think you should be concentrating on the word need.

Critically discuss the need for greater diversity within the judiciary of England & Wales.
So your entire essay should be focusing substantially on the arguments and evidence in favour of, and against, greater diversity.

Don't try to pad it out too much with judicial selection, secret soundings and the like. You should be looking at the ends, not the means. Also, try not to put too much of your own opinion in there (presuming you're a university student); this isn't a GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads