People who oppose guns are cowards Watch

the mezzil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jlpmghrsx4)
This attitude is part of the reason why I'm so confused sometimes by American society. Being in California, I'm probably one of the few anti-gun people at my school, and the one question that I can never get an answer to is why, in a civilized, first-world society, does the general populace feel the NEED to own a firearm or an assault weapon? It should not be necessary.
You wrongly assume that the USA is civilised. It is not.
chukster97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoyalMarine)
Why should I be unarmed when a criminal points to my head a gun or knife that he bought at the black market to steal me my hard earned money,or the car for which I made big sacrifices,or to assault my family?People who oppose guns are cowards who are happy just to live one day more by giving in to any criminal until there is nothing left to steal from them.
We have CCTV to track the criminal and look at knife crime, over 200 people die from stabbings each year I'm pretty sure guns won't help.
Josh_B
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)
If you really are a Marine, you've probably been trained to use a gun, and to think tactically under pressure. Most average citizens when faced with a real intruder (which is unlikely to be a clear face to face situation) would either not shoot them (possibly resulting in the gun being turned back on them), miss, or panic and shoot the wrong person.
To me, your opinion is spot on. I know I'd trust myself with a firearm but I've been trained. I wouldn't want to have US style laws over here.

Maybe everyone should just be taught how to disarm someone with a gun/knife in school :-P.
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the mezzil)
I'd like to amend this post. Those who use guns to kill innocents and civilians are cowards. People who use a gun (Legitimate wars/ sports/ pest control) are not cowards.
Thanks! Just in the context I didn't really think about other uses. Cheers
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why should I be unarmed when a criminal points to my head a gun or knife that he bought at the black market to steal me my hard earned money,or the car for which I made big sacrifices,or to assault my family?People who oppose guns are cowards who are happy just to live one day more by giving in to any criminal until there is nothing left to steal from them.
To be honest, if I were in a situation involving an armed criminal, I would probably not want a weapon myself. That would make me into a threat, and would make it more likely that I would end up shot, one way or another. Moreover, I'd rather not end up shooting someone, even a criminal, as I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. That doesn't make me a coward - it takes much more courage to not shoot someone and stay true to one's ideals, than to remove the danger by shooting someone in self-defense.
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More guns means more gun crime.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You wrongly assume that the USA is civilised. It is not.
I have travelled independently quite a bit in the US both west and East and i have to say that i have almost always found US citizens to be incredibly friendly, well mannered and quite conservative. Of course there are killers and mad people but then that happens everywhere.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
I have travelled independently quite a bit in the US both west and East and i have to say that i have almost always found US citizens to be incredibly friendly, well mannered and quite conservative. Of course there are killers and mad people but then that happens everywhere.
You define civilised as having a legalised death penalty, Guantanamo bay, 25 % of the worlds prison population, one of the highest gun/ murder crime rates, big brother state with a continuous warlike and militaristic government, whose people value selfishness, greed, materialism and are obsessed with producing waste, making it unsustainable?

I don't define that as civilised.
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
...Of course there are killers and mad people but then that happens everywhere.
That may be true but in a society where guns are difficult for civilians to arm themselves with there is easily less likelihood that someone who turns into a killer 'mad person' will have one. A disturbed person running around a shopping centre or college campus with a knife, awful enough as that is, bears no comparison to a disturbed person running around the same with a pump-action shotgun, automatic pistol or AK47.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You define civilised as having a legalised death penalty, Guantanamo bay, 25 % of the worlds prison population, one of the highest gun/ murder crime rates, big brother state with a continuous warlike and militaristic government, whose people value selfishness, greed, materialism and are obsessed with producing waste, making it unsustainable?

I don't define that as civilised.
Well every Government has blood and dirt on its hands and the UK is no different.

The UK has a big brother state also and Im fairly sure that the people in prison are usually there for a good reason.

Quality of life for most Americans is probably better than for the average Brit. They are not all fat, with load shirts,loud mouths and large waistlines.

Its a big country and so diverse.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stanno)
I know right? Some criminals even have fully automatic weapons and grenades so I should be able to have them too! Wait a minute, why do I have to settle for having weapons that are only as powerful and lethal as those used by criminals? I should be allowed to have an LMG, or a rocket launcher, or maybe a tank, right?
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cel93)
Well as stalin once said ' Remove the man, remove the problem'. Guns could do this just fine.
Well, excuse me if I do not extend too much credence to the motto of a genocidal maniac.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well every Government has blood and dirt on its hands and the UK is no different.

The UK has a big brother state also and Im fairly sure that the people in prison are usually there for a good reason.

Quality of life for most Americans is probably better than for the average Brit. They are not all fat, with load shirts,loud mouths and large waistlines.

Its a big country and so diverse.
You now assume I am going to say that the UK is the world leader in civilisation and defend the UK. :rolleyes: I'm not.

The USA is not civilised. The point still stands, and you have not proved otherwise.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
That may be true but in a society where guns are difficult for civilians to arm themselves with there is easily less likelihood that someone who turns into a killer 'mad person' will have one. A disturbed person running around a shopping centre or college campus with a knife, awful enough as that is, bears no comparison to a disturbed person running around the same with a pump-action shotgun, automatic pistol or AK47.
In all my travels in the US, the only time i saw a firearm apart from on a cop was when i went in the local Walmart where they had a guns counter...a slightly surreal experience.

At least if such an unfortunate circumstance as you illustrate should arise, you;d die quickly. Here in the UK much of the population is just dying slowly.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You now assume I am going to say that the UK is the world leader in civilisation and defend the UK. :rolleyes: I'm not.

The USA is not civilised. The point still stands, and you have not proved otherwise.
Well no i wasnt going to assume that. I'm not taking sides. I live in the UK but im not a British citizen nor am I American come to that. If i had the choice, I'd rather have the US brand of civilisation than the UK kind.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well no i wasnt going to assume that. I'm not taking sides. I live in the UK but im not a British citizen for am I American come to that. If i had the choice, I'd rather have the US brand of civilisation than the UK kind.
Fair do's, but I love ripping into your self righteous country men when I hear their "murica" murmurs.

If you wish to live in the USA then be my guest, but don't think the USA is a civilised country. It is not. I prefer the UK and European civilisation, and in my honest opinion we should not be allied with the USA. The USA is the real enemy.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

This had to posted.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mezzil,as stated ,I am not a US citizen. I am a citizen of planet Earth first and not a chattel of any state. We are mostly in our country of residence due to an accident of birth. If i had had a pre-birth choice of country of birth, the UK wouldnt be top of the list.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
You would have to be a pretty good shot to hit someone in the head in the dark first time. I doubt most people would be quick enough to get a second shot off with a straight pull rifle. I know I wouldn't and I've been shooting for years.
A bit pedantic? Obviously you'd be lucky to shoot a guy in the head in the dark, always aim for centre mass.
Tootles
Report 5 years ago
Call me sheltered if you like, but I've never, in twenty-four years of life, been put in a situation where a gun would be anything other than a novelty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (43)
16.6%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (19)
7.34%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
6.56%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (28)
10.81%
Monster Munch (20)
7.72%