The Student Room Group

People who oppose guns are cowards

Why should I be unarmed when a criminal points to my head a gun or knife that he bought at the black market to steal me my hard earned money,or the car for which I made big sacrifices,or to assault my family?People who oppose guns are cowards who are happy just to live one day more by giving in to any criminal until there is nothing left to steal from them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are however a few concerns about this.

One of the major issues is the
school shootings in America, any deranged person can get hold of a gun, though I don't know much about the licensing or the checks gone through, but a teenager could also simply get it from there parents or whatever.

However we do need reasonable amount of force to protect our selves, especially if it our lives on the line.
Reply 2
What, so you'd rather we allowed everyone a gun in this country (Everyone OP, and consider how many idiots there are out there, you really want to allow the idiots guns?!), why do you think we haven't had numerous deadly shootings like they've had in the US, gun crime is far lower in this country.
Reply 3
Emotion:Content Ratio is pretty one-sided...

Tell me more about how gun crime is as common as it is in America?
Reply 4
Absolutely fine with the low gun crime rate we have thanks.
Reply 5
If you own a farm and need a firearm for pest control, fine.

If you are a gun enthusiast and enjoy shooting for sport or hunting, fine.

If you are a maniac who wants to own a firearm to gun down any person who happens to break into your house, no.
Reply 6
Original post by Inexorably
Absolutely fine with the low gun crime rate we have thanks.

means you're a coward and surrender just to keep living as a coward?
Original post by Swanbow

If you are a maniac who wants to own a firearm to gun down any person who happens to break into your house, no.

You make it sound like people break into houses accidentally...
Original post by RoyalMarine
Why should I be unarmed when a criminal points to my head a gun or knife that he bought at the black market to steal me my hard earned money,or the car for which I made big sacrifices,or to assault my family?People who oppose guns are cowards who are happy just to live one day more by giving in to any criminal until there is nothing left to steal from them.

I suppose introducing guns for protection causes the proliferation of weapons. As civilians need guns, so will police, and criminals. At the moment, guns lie with the experts such as armed response units as part of the police, and other military units. If everyone is able to have guns, then policing becomes much more difficult I'm sure and due to the threat posed by the police with their guns, criminals will need better ones. Also I'm sure opening up the access of weapons would lead to similar problems posed in the US et al, with shootings increasing significantly etc.

The changes you will get robbed at gunpoint are pretty small, but I suppose this depends on demographics. At large there is no need for guns for protection, and I feel this would only cause problems. Guns are great for sport, but to say everyone needs a gun for defence would be false.

I suppose the main point would be why you feel this will happen to you? Being robbed at gun point is not something that happens often in the UK. Even if you did, would you not be covered by some kind of theft insurance?
Reply 9
Original post by MrSupernova
You make it sound like people break into houses accidentally...

Well of course it isn't accidentally. (except for uber-drunks)

But then again I wouldn't argue that they all necessarily need a 5.56×45mm in their skull.
Original post by Swanbow

Listen mate, im neither for or against this idea of citizens with guns, but I live in London and im aware of how easy it is to actually obtain firearms, if a crazed manic wanted one, he could get one, he'd have to pay for it though, of course. Legalising guns doesn't mean they're free for everyone.

Im on the fence, i see both sides of the argument and I really cant bring myself down on either side.
Reply 11
Original post by Swanbow
Well of course it isn't accidentally. (except for uber-drunks)

But then again I wouldn't argue that they all necessarily need a 5.56×45mm in their skull.

means you're a coward and give in your hard earned money until there is nothing left?
Reply 12
People who carry guns are cowards.
Reply 13
More like you're a coward for having to use a weapon where you don't have to get up close and personal.

Real men uses knives
"Coward". By that I presume you mean someone afraid of being shot.

It interests me how people like you use that word to mean someone who is afraid of dying, which, if I'm honest, seems perfectly reasonable.
Reply 15
Original post by Apocrypha
Listen mate, im neither for or against this idea of citizens with guns, but I live in London and im aware of how easy it is to actually obtain firearms, if a crazed manic wanted one, he could get one, he'd have to pay for it though, of course. Legalising guns doesn't mean they're free for everyone.

Im on the fence, i see both sides of the argument and I really cant bring myself down on either side.

The idea of firearm legislation is to restrict access to legalised firearms, which of course is limited. Only police efforts will end access to illegal firearms. I live in a pretty quiet part of the country but even I knew someone who could obtain firearms. Their accessibility isn't exactly limited, but the consequences of their use put a lot of people off using them.

means you're a coward and give in your hard earned money until there is nothing left?

Ok then :lol: .......:confused:
Reply 16
Original post by Swanbow

Ok then :lol: .......:confused:

I see you would surrender and give in to the criminal just to keep living.Definition of cowards
Reply 17
I see you would surrender and give in to the criminal just to keep living.Definition of cowards

As a pro-gun South African I still can't help but laugh :lol:
Any situation can be defused by busting a move.
Reply 19
means you're a coward and surrender just to keep living as a coward?

Quick Reply

Latest