Need a bit of advice??

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey all, don't do this often but hear goes. Lately i have been feeling out of control, lonely, becoming really anger and having a general feeling that something is not quite right. I found someone who has been diagnosed with something called borderline personality disorder and the way he explained how he feels was exactly the same as me. Anyway i guess my question is should i read into this and if so who do i see about this?
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only a psychiatrist can diagnose personality disorders so if you're worried you should go to your GP and ask for a referral. The thing with personality disorders is that everyone has symptoms of them to some degree but only when the degree is extreme and affecting your life will a personality disorder be diagnosed.

Another thing is that borderline PD is often diagnosed by British doctors in difficult patients. It's not viewed in very positive light by professionals. People with borderline PD are often seen as being attention seeking and manipulative.

That said, if you do have it and it's affecting your life there is treatment available called dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) although there's likely to be long waiting lists on the NHS for that.
Friar Chris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey all, don't do this often but hear goes. Lately i have been feeling out of control, lonely, becoming really anger and having a general feeling that something is not quite right. I found someone who has been diagnosed with something called borderline personality disorder and the way he explained how he feels was exactly the same as me. Anyway i guess my question is should i read into this and if so who do i see about this?
You may or may not have a personality disorder, as far as any of us on here can tell, I'm afraid. What's more important to consider is this:

How would having a formal diagnosis change anything for, or help, you?

In many areas of medicine, a formal diagnosis can set people's minds at rest, or provide a clear structure for what is to be done next. Personality disorders are far more complicated though - they're very difficult to distinguish and categorise and require quite detailed psychiatric evaluation and follow up even to recognise properly, and don't have some definitive treatment. What you get out of it is a 'label' - for some people it's an excuse for their problems, for other's it's a brand that has been stamped on them and will follow them around for life. There's obviously numerous supportive services available to try and help those with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (F60.3, if you're interested in the ICD - 'Borderline' is a descriptor of this type of PD), but there's no miracle cure or magic pill that makes problems go away just because you've got a special diagnosis.

Personality disorders are generally diagnosed as disorders of the adult personality and behaviour, abnormal but permanent traits that, whilst mostly just 'extremes' of normal personality traits any person would have, are considered so extreme and disabling to daily life that they constitute an illness as opposed to just a variant of human personality. One doesn't usually just 'develop' a personality disorder or have short periods of them, they're essential parts of a person's psyche that result from their genetics, upbringing and life experiences and culminate in who one is.

This considered, it doesn't actually sound likely that what you have a personality disorder at all, anon:

You describe that you have 'lately' been feeling out of control, off-character, lonely and yet prone to outbursts of anger, not that you have consistent problems throughout life with not being able to control your emotions in general. It actually sounds far more likely that you're having an episode of mild depression or even just a particularly bad reaction to stress. Being more prone to impatience and mood swings for minor reasons, feeling lonely, not feeling yourself - all of these things are actually symptoms of stress and depression, and it would certainly make more sense as to why you have been feeling this lately and have the feeling that something is actually wrong.

If you don't think it's getting any better, discuss it with your GP, at least so they know you've been feeling like this and are aware if you do need any support in the future, even if you don't need any medicine or intervention right now. In the meantime, consider what might be stressing you, and try find some ways of relaxing a bit better, as well as ensuring you're eating and sleeping well and consistently (neglecting these two things can make anyone quite unlike themselves!). If you'd rather stay away from medicalising things right now, try some casual exercise - a jog or whatever in the fresh air when you're feeling angry or lonely. Not only is it good for your body anyway, exercise is also an excellent anti-depressant in its own physiological right!

As always, if in doubt, talk to your GP. Hell, talk to him/her anyway, they're paid to listen to you anyway, even if you don't think what you have to say is of much significance. If they are concerned you may have a personality disorder (which I think is unlikely, but this is just a forum, after all!) they'll be the ones to refer you to be sure, but it's good to at least talk about things with someone you trust if not, and don't be afraid to go get help from the GP if things do become harder.

Hope everything goes well!

ΘΣ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (95)
28.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.1%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.27%

Watched Threads