BPTC with a third in penultimate year- help!

Watch
sher91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi!

I've submitted my application for the BPTC 2014 entry, and i will graduate with an LLB this summer.

I have been predicted a 2:1 overall as so far my performance has been consistently 2:1s in my assignments and my lecturers assure me this is possible as long as I keep my work up.

However, I messed up and got a third in my penultimate year, and I'm terrified that this will ruin any chance I have of getting a place on the BPTC, as all i got to put on my application was my penultimate year grade.

Can anyone who's previously applied be honest with me about what my chances are?

I'm not particularly concerned about the Bar Aptitude Test as i've done the sample test and passed. Last year was a blip on the radar, but I'm usually quite a competent law student, and I'm reasonably sure I could cope with the BPTC.

If it matters, i've applied to UWE, COL Birmingham, and Notts, in that order.

*also, I know, I know, pupilage and all that, but it doesn't really matter in my case as I will not be seeking pupilage in the UK, as I will likely do it in my home country, so i don't need the pupilage warnings just yet!
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sher91)

Can anyone who's previously applied be honest with me about what my chances are?
Does it matter? Just wait and see. You can't change anything now.
sher91
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Does it matter? Just wait and see. You can't change anything now.

Ugh you're probably right, but I'm kind of turning into a nervous little wreck and i'd love some kind of information. It's the vagueness that's killing me.
happyinthehaze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=sher91;46431233]Hi!

I've submitted my application for the BPTC 2014 entry, and i will graduate with an LLB this summer.

Am I missing something with this? I thought that it was no real problem getting a place to do a BPTC as long as you have the money to pay??

Why not just ring up one of the big providers and ask them if they will take you - I can't see why they wouldn't??
sher91
Rep:
?
well i was under the impression that they are super selective, like only slightly over half the applicants get a place, and all that
happyinthehaze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sher91)
well i was under the impression that they are super selective, like only slightly over half the applicants get a place, and all that
Really? I might be absolutely completely wrong, as I did the LPC rather than BPTC so I will let someone who is doing the BPTC advise you. I was honestly of the impression that it wasn't difficult to get onto these things as long as you had the dosh.

If you don't get a response here, try ROF or trainee solicitor forums.
ManchesterW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think about the incentives on the providers.

Their incentive, especially in areas like London and Manchester is to make as much money as possible out of students in a tough market. They will do one of two things:
a) Accept you unconditionally
b) Accept you conditional upon getting a 2:1/2:2 and take your £500 deposit for the time being.

You're in no risk of not getting a place. But if you mess up your third year exams, you will not get pupillage, so you might as well save yourself the BPTC fees.
happybarrister
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree with ManchesterW. If you look at the statistics, the majority of people who apply for a place on the BPTC actually get a place, implying that it is relatively easy.

The providers are companies out to make a profit. It is in their interest to have as many people taking the course as possible. The real bottleneck is at the pupillage stage. As long as you have reasonable grades, I don't see how you should have a problem getting onto the BPTC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (347)
83.82%
No (67)
16.18%

Watched Threads