University of Manchester or King's College London for medicine?

Watch
nindeappan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was wondering which university would be best for medicine; manchester or king's? I would like to go out and things with friends but it really isn't that important and I'm not a clubbing kinda' person. Money is a big factor and I wanted to know whether the increase in maintenance loan for living in london covers the extra living costs? I also want a clinical placement orientated university.
ukmed108
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nindeappan)
I was wondering which university would be best for medicine; manchester or king's? I would like to go out and things with friends but it really isn't that important and I'm not a clubbing kinda' person. Money is a big factor and I wanted to know whether the increase in maintenance loan for living in london covers the extra living costs? I also want a clinical placement orientated university.
Both are quite good. Its really your choice depending on where you want to live. Manchester would probably be cheaper.
nindeappan
Rep:
?
Do you think there is any advantage of going to either? like is there an advantage of going to king's as opposed to manchester?
suzylemonade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you think there is any advantage of going to either? like is there an advantage of going to king's as opposed to manchester?
Depends on what sort of medical course you want to go for. Manchester is very PBL whereas King's is more integrated/traditional. Just something to think about. It's quite important, don't just decided based on monetary factors
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Different types of learning - though both are quite self-studying courses. PBL versus "integrated" (it's really just lectures with an introductory and a debriefing lecture)

Cost wise, Manchester is probably much cheaper than London.

Slight benefit if you want to work in SE England. Not in the sense that you have a leg up in getting a job, but just knowing the area, familiarity etc. kinda thing.
nindeappan
Rep:
?
(Original post by hslakaal)
Different types of learning - though both are quite self-studying courses. PBL versus "integrated" (it's really just lectures with an introductory and a debriefing lecture)

Cost wise, Manchester is probably much cheaper than London.

Slight benefit if you want to work in SE England. Not in the sense that you have a leg up in getting a job, but just knowing the area, familiarity etc. kinda thing.
I understand So there is no like advantage in terms of career by picking London? The irony is I only have an offer from Manchester but incase King's offer me a place, I want to be prepared. I live in SE and am really tired of it in all fairness :L The only thing about King's is whether it would be of advantage in the future?
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I understand So there is no like advantage in terms of career by picking London? The irony is I only have an offer from Manchester but incase King's offer me a place, I want to be prepared. I live in SE and am really tired of it in all fairness :L The only thing about King's is whether it would be of advantage in the future?
As I said, no.

And also...
Do wait for the other offer before you ask these questions. There'll be plenty of time to do so when and if it comes.
KA125
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kings kings kings (biased due to being a Londoner)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freyr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
don't decide on living cost alone, these are fairly insignificant. Base it on the course, PBL vs Integrated/traditional.
Personally I'd go for kings, simply because it is london, becuase you have more opportunity to see rarer conditions etc there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads